Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Should I Be Friends With Him?

I asked for a divorce not too long ago after a very short marriage because I found out that he had cheated on me multiple times. I never felt valued in our relationship for many reasons and Honestly I'm still kinda traumatized by what has happened. On top of this, he is extremely emotionally manipulative to the point where it may have been considered abuse by some people's standards. I feel like a great burden has lifted from my shoulders when I asked for a divorce but at the same time, I still care about and miss him a lot. I think I may still have some lingering feelings for him though it's definitely not in the same way that I loved him before. I do feel like I've mostly gotten over him but I'm still very angry. Maybe it's some kind of codependency thing but I'm simultaneously scared to not have him in my life and relieved. I don't like conflict and a part of me wants to be friends with him but I'm not sure if I'll be able to with my feelings of grief of what could have been and anger at him for ruining everything. I'm sure he has some lingering feelings of distain for me too with me being the one to end it. I like to think maybe eventually but it's hard not being able to talk to him. Is that weird or do most people go through that with divorce? I'm in my early twenties and I have no idea how to navigate something like this and none of my friends have ever been divorced.

Re: Should I Be Friends With Him?

These are normal feelings. Work on yourself, focus on your life. You need to give yourself time to grieve and heal before you can make a decision to be friends with.