Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
ex trying to withdraw from 529 for himself

I been googling with no success in finding the answer to my concern. I been divorced for the past 3 years and needless to say it was a hell on earth from the person I've married to for 30 years. To make the long story shorts, he raise hell when I asked for a divorce to the point of willing to put our 3 daughters through hell especially when it comes to dividing assets. Refused to give me alimony, play his dirty tricks on paying the least amount of child support only up to when kids turn 18 AND schedule for least amount of visitation time required from him by Florida state. On the top of all these, God only knows how much of the finance he's hiding which doesn't get divided between us. More dirt but I will spare you all and just get to my concern; I have 3 daughters who were/are living me, age 21, 18, 16. This fall my second will go to the same college as my oldest. They both gets scholarships and grants which pay for their college cost and as for their personal expense, they work part time. Earlier this year, their father came to me with the request of him withdrawing from 529(education investment) matching the amount of scholarship and grants the girls received to avoid penalty withdrawal. AND stating his reason being is to get a car for them and whatever else they need essentially. I work with him on it, in hope he really mean it, giving that he came back with a huge apology for all his evilness toward me and my kids, back in Nov. 2020. Yes, his intention of wanting to get back together is there and bend out of shape when I didn't fall for it. So just this week, my suspicion came to the reality which is he just want to pocket the withdrawal money and not getting a car for the kids. This came to light, when I shared the information of my kids' name is going to be on the car and need to have their own insurance since they will be using it 24/7. Currently they are under me as a part time driver which only during the holidays when they come back home. And he takes no responsibility on their car insurance, of course.

My question is - does he has a right to do the withdrawal? He's a non-custodial parent since he's not supporting them after high school. And of course he stay true to that to the tee, same as everything else when it involves money.

Thank you so much in advance for listening and for any advices.