Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Maryland crossing state lines with kids

I recently visited my family in Maryland for my step-sister's funeral. She was 18, and the autopsy report hasn't come back, yet.

My father is married to her mother. They have four kids together, he is in his 60's and her in her 30's. When I visited, I noticed several things. My father plays on his computer about 20 hours a day, sleeps on the couch next to the computer, lost his temper when my 7 year old sister touched his keyboard (yelling at the top of is lungs). He works part time, but he was off for the funeral, which he didn't even attend (the viewing, service, burial, and wake). The yard is completely overrun with poison ivy and other shrubs (I spent a few hours clearing the mess). He's also a hoarder. He hadn't been to the store in two weeks, so I came to take him to the store. As we were leaving, my stepmom asked if he has the grocery list, and he responded, "Yes, I have your stupid list." He's always been like this, but he's a pretty good actor when you first meet him. The van was a complete disgusting mess, and none of the car seats were installed correctly, the seatbelts were even wrapped behind the headrests, one car seat had the buckles coming out from the cupholders, and at least one car seat was expired in 2017. I couldn't check the others without my dad thinking I was spying on something. I told him he needs to fix the hazards.

She wants to leave. She isn't a Citizen, but she's been here for about 8 years or so.

My question is this:

Can she leave and take the kids over state lines without a legal divorce? This would be so she can separate before getting the divorce, without getting in trouble with the law. She would stay with us while she got on her feet, and I would watch the kids during the day.

Also, if she can get in trouble, what other options could she have? Worst case scenario is she stays, but gets free help somehow. CPS had come by her house before and cleared out some of the hoarding, but my dad lost it. This "help" can't leave her in a position where she's the verbal punching bag. He's never physically hurt her or the kids, just verbal and emotional stuff.

Re: Maryland crossing state lines with kids

that's a difficult situation. maybe you can get some help and information at a lawyer- Maryland legal aid, and help at Maryland immigrant legal assistance project in baltimore.
look at the internet for more ideas.