Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
How do abused women do it

5 months ago I left my marriage. Packed up everything and was gone. 5 months and I still feel like he is watching me. Tracking me. Following me. I cant shake it. How do women who end up in emerg shelters do it? When does one feel safe enough to begin to move on? How long does it take??

I just dont know how to do this.

Re: How do abused women do it

Mabel,
I’m not gonna downplay the five months but it has only been months. The trauma of being abused needs therapy. Only then can you distance yourself from it.
When you feel scared, he still has control over you. Remember that. He can’t control you anymore. And each day you go on, it will be a lighter load. I left my husband in January after 17 years of marriage. I still have to deal with him and will for some time to come. We have two children together.
Just know that there are so many more people, family, friends, those you haven’t met yet that are worth your time.
More than him. I could give you some more advice, some days I just had to remind myself what I am grateful for, my freedom, my boys, and I still have some time left, (I’m only 50) to find some people who do love me, and want to be around me.
I had to get out of my own head. Out of my own way, I was fantasizing about things that were not happening.

I’m here if you want to talk more. Know you aren’t alone.

Re: How do abused women do it

Thank you

We were together 27yrs. Married 23. Am 48. He tracked my mileage. tracked my phone. Cameras inside and outside the house. Needed to know my every move. It is hard to break those feelings of being watched and controlled. Have 2 adult boys also. Oldest couldnt wait to get out b/c of the controlling. I am in therapy. Pretty sure have ptsd. Going to take a long time to heal. Just hard to shake it some days. Moved to a different city to get away. But have family near. Rebuilding my social support. Which has been very difficult. This forum has helped alot.
Thnx ❤️