Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Couples counselling

Thank you Kelly. I have met with an attorney and paid my retainer but have not yet filed. I have an appointment with my attorney on October 28th but cannot get into couples counseling until Nov 16th. I definitely feel like I need a neutral place and want him established with a counsellor because he is not going to be accepting of the news.
Are couples counsellors usual open to you giving your spouse the news during the session or is she going to be ****** at me ? Do I need to tell the counsellor beforehand that it is my plan to break the news to him there ?

I would tell the counselor before the session that that is your plan. I would certainly hope that they would be professional about it!

I sounds like you are being very thoughtful about how you are proceeding with your husband. That was also my approach and I will tell you that it has made a big difference on how we are able to get along well now.

I am trying to be thoughtful because I know divorce is not what he wants, but I feel so emotionally disconnected from him now and I know I do not want to carry on with the marriage. I feel like I am becoming the toxic one, not communicating with him and shutting down and I don’t want to carry on putting him through it, but it’s also because I know I need to tell him I want a divorce and it’s just so hard, so I’m shutting down completely