Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
after 30 years: just walk out with the money and let him live in the house?

we've been separated but living In same house for 12 of the past 30 years. I am ready to get out, I am in my 60's. he is in 70's. I have control over all of my retirement accounts. the money is a bit less than what our paid-for house is worth, but it is money I collected while on LTD from my generous employer (I have MS) while he sat on his butt. I was able to pay off the house. so if I just walk out to an extended vacation and leave my name on the deed, and keep control of the accounts, does he have any recourse? I dont care about a divorce I just want to live alone in peace. I don't think he could afford a lawyer to go to the trouble of finding me and suing me just to try to get an 'equitable' settlement. I could drop money in our "household" account so he won't think IM starving him. I do not think I can survive the stress and anguish of the divorce process. has anyone been successful with this approach and if so how did you manage moving your retirement accounts? I don't think he even has the account numbers. he is only on the beneficiary document. they are all in my name. Thx for your help and support.

Re: after 30 years: just walk out with the money and let him live in the house?

I would advise consulting with a divorce lawyer who does collaborative divorce or mediation. Leaving him with the house while you still are the owner leaves you responsible for debts, liability, etc. on a house you aren't living in. You can write your own simple divorce decree, have it checked by a lawyer and notarized by a legal assistant that would divide things the way you want. This is much less expensive and traumatic than going through the court system which would involve more paperwork, less privacy and less say over how things are divided. And it would give both of you a clear ending and closure.