Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Never Been On My Own

I have been married for 21 years and my husband wants a divorce. I am more afraid of leaving my current toxic environment than staying in it. I want to move out and on to be happy but I do not have money saved to do that. I will be ok once I am out. I make enough to support myself but I do not have the cash to leave. I have no one to help me either. I also have my 19 year old to take into consideration as she lives with us and is working and going to school. If I contact a lawyer and start divorce paperwork, my husband will make me leave then and there. Any advice would be appreciated.

Re: Never Been On My Own

I'm sorry you are going through this.

I would suggest that you go ahead and start working with an attorney- don't tell him about it- just do it.

My attorney had me change my will, get my valuable personal belongings out of the house (took to my sister's house), etc.
If you think it may get ugly, do what you need to do to protect yourself - keep it on the down low if you need to.

I didn't tell my husband until after my attorney had already filed the paperwork.

Second, your husband cannot force/make you leave the marital home that you share. He doesn't have that right.

Stay strong- you can do it!

Wishing you the best!
Kelly