Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: I'm devastated

I’m so sorry you are going through this. I think when someone cheats it’s disgusting and the trust is gone. Try reaching out to a therapist and check if there are any divorce groups in your area. Shame on your husband for being a bad example to your sons. He needs to man-up, put his own pleasure-seeking desires away and put his focus on providing for them and for you. Leaving doesn’t give him the right to abandon his responsibilities. And don’t you feel bad- this is his weakness not yours. Any little thing you do whether it’s 30 minutes organizing, listening to your sons talk about their day, doing the dishes… give yourself credit, celebrate every accomplishment no matter how small you might think it is. I wouldn’t worry too much about your sleep schedule we’re all different and can’t all be early birds, right?! You’ve been dealing with a lot!

I'm devastated too. We've been together 47 years and married 45 of those years. Last December, I saw a text on his phone. In the middle of the page was BABE. I asked him who was calling him babe, and he told me he was having an affair. I knew that it was Sue, but he insisted it was "Margaret". In response, I went to alcohol rehab for a month. So he was free to not have to sneak around. Then Feb, March, April. Every time I saw him texting, I thought it was to Sue--wouldn't you? Then, he told me he was moving out. That was it for me. I contacted a lawyer and am in the middle of divorce proceedings. I also adopted a puppy--(don't do that, it's just another source of stress.) Anyway, I'm devastated that he has rejected me..he was the one that gave me confidence in myself. He always supported me and had my back. I feel so alone. Though my girlfriends have been supportive, I still sob daily. He wants to be "friends" and gave me an example of a divorced couple we know who still are friends. He thinks that is the example to follow. I wish I were dead, often. I wish he would die. I want to take revenge, but there's no way to do it. I certainly don't want to pick up with another guy. At least now. And I'm wasting a lot of effort trying to figure out revenge. And he won't get a lawyer, so I filled out his "sworn financial statement" that the judge requires. My counselor says don't communicate with him, but we have to communicate over money, living situation, how to split things up. I'm a rudderless ship. I know I'll get over it, but it hurts like hell. I can't think or make decisions and feel like I'm going insane. My latest tactic is this forum, and to quit texting him and girlfriend those ugly texts. All that shows is what an angry witch I am, and I deserve to be dumped after 47 years.

I'm so sorry you're hurting. It is very hard. I'm going through it too, although my situation is different. But my husband is leaving me too, and he's been lying and doing things behind my back to prepare. Today I found out he's known for a week that the VA money I helped him to apply for more of was granted and now he'll have all this money to start over in another much cheaper country and won't have to work. Good for him. The thing I'm thinking for both of us is that we have to realize that it's not that we're bad or unattractive or unworthy that they want to leave. It's because they just want something different than us. For whatever reason. I could beat myself up, which is my inclination, but I just have to remind myself everyone's entitled to like what they like, and if it's not me, I don't want to be with him. I'm sick of feeling like he doesn't listen or care or notice. I'm sick of feeling ignored.

It might help you to write some stuff down. I don't know. I've started this journal just jotting down random thoughts or things that bug me or when I'm feeling sad, and it's sort of helping. Even though I don't have a shrink yet because I don't know where I'm moving or any real friends - none of the few I told I was divorcing have even checked on me and it's been a week!!! - I at least now have a place to go and vent. My computer. It might help you to be honest with yourself about your feelings and his and try to see why he's changed his feelings. But don't beat yourself up. He might have changed. Who knows? Something now might appeal to him that didn't before.

I know it's so hard, but if he doesn't want to be with you, do you want to force him and then know he doesn't really want it? That wouldn't feel good at all. I think you have to find a way to let him go. Don't dwell. Be kind to yourself. Don't listen to music or look at pictures or anything that will make you feel nostalgic. I'm trying to focus on my goals of finding a job and packing and saving my dogs, and that helps. We're kind of stuck at our house until it sells in the meantime, so that's awkward, but I'm barricaded in my office most of the time...

Big hugs. Be well, and please keep posting if you need more comfort. It's nice everyone can be here for each other during this very scary time. Try to get some good sleep... :)