Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Thinking of filing

I am thinking about filing for divorce from my husband of 26 years. I am so scared of not being able to financially make it on my own w/ a 15 year old son still at home. I do not have a college education. We have lots of farmland that will be split between us plus a nice house, but that still worries me. Just so scared to actually "pull the trigger" so to speak and actually start the awful process.

Re: Thinking of filing

Hi Jenn,

I would recommend that you consult with an attorney. Gather some information. How much would legal fees be?
What would be your share of marital assets? How much child support or alimony would you be entitled to?

It may not be an awful process. Do you think he would fight you on it or make it difficult?

I was worried that my ex- would make the process difficult, but was surprised when he didn't. Mine was fairly smooth and I'm receiving alimony for a while which helps alot.

You can do it!
Good luck!
Kelly

Hi, I have also been scared for financial reasons. I have been working all these years
But have little savings. I have teens as well. I recently just decided that there must be a better way to live, and signed with a lawyer to start the process. I think making the decision is the hardest part. Maybe give yourself a weekend to reflect and connect with your feelings, and to trust your gut. Wishing you peace of mind.

You know, my colleague is now in a similar situation. She has very little savings and is planning to file for divorce. She can't afford a lawyer. She found this service onlinedivorcetexas.com BUT! I can’t recommend it or anything like that, since my colleague is still thinking about whether she will use it.

Perhaps there will be someone else here who has their own experience using something similar.