Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Numb

Hi, I am a disabled woman who just learned only a week ago that my husband of 24 years wants a divorce. I am terrified. He has been my husband and has been in a caregiver role all of these years. My disability is severe tbi. I am crushed and in shock and all of this is making my disability that much harder. I don't know what to do...

Re: Numb

I’m sorry. I’d start by calling an advocate. Maybe start with some advice and referrals from your doctor. If he’s been your caregiver and he’s wanting a divorce - as extremely hard as this is - would you really want someone like that to continue being your caregiver?! Shame on him for putting this on you. I hope you get some strong people in your corner!!

Thank you for your response. I think an advocate is a good idea and you are right that I need to make sure I have support.

I am sorry to hear you are going through this. Having your husband want a divorce is difficult under normal circumstance. Also dealing with a disability and having him as your caregiver makes it even harder. Definitely reach out to advocates to help you will the medical support side of things, they might have some valuable resources for you.

For the emotional support I would like to suggest you check out my podcast "from Devastated to Divorced", it is free and can be found wherever podcasts are streamed from. You will find a lot of tips support and motivation there to help you forward in your journey. I am wishing you the best!