Ginger's Forum

Welcome back to Ginger's Forum!

Ginger's Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Mathematics Trivia

Question: If a sports team has won 30 games and lost 20 so far this season, what percentage of their remaining 20 games must they win in order to have a 50% winning season?

Where are you from? Brasil

Re: Mathematics Trivia

I'm getting a little old, but wife and I think it
might be 10, they have to win of the last 20 games,
not real sure of this one.

Bob H.

Where are you from? Arkansas

Hello Bob and wife! Nice to hear from you again. It is very nice Ginger opened the forum, isn't it?
Thank you for answering, but unfortunatelly it is not correct. As I'm not good at math, I shouldn't post this question, sorry! But my husband helped me a bit LOL
The answer is:
25% because it must win a total of 35 out of 70 so more out the next 20.

Where are you from? Brasil

Iara:

The way I figure it, their entire season consists of 70 games. (They've won 30 already, lost 20, and have another 20 games left.) Half, or 50% of that total of 70, would be 35 games. Since they've already won 30, I believe they need to win 5 more games, which would bring them to 35 for the entire season and put them at 50% for the season. Not exactly a great record, but maybe they'll improve next year, LOL.

Where are you from? Ardmore, Pennsylvania

Iara:

It looks like your message and mine were done at the exact same time, since when mine was posted, I saw you had answered Bob. But I think we both got the same answer. You used the percentage (25%) of the remaining 20 games, and I used the actual number (5) of the remaining 20 games.

Where are you from? Ardmore, Pennsylvania

Thanks to you both.

And yes it was nice that Ginger got the Forum going
again for us.
And glad to see all of you taking part.

Bob H.

Where are you from? Arkansas

You and Bob are correct! Thank you for answering it.