Visit The DBoard Online Store - https://www.cafepress.com/icehockeydboard

Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Girls Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
When to say enough

We had a boy who played hockey and is done.
We never experienced the constant pressure to play in all these "showcases", all star teams, clinics, prospects,spring this, summer that etc. We could be at one every weekend. Couple that with skating coaches and shooting coaches and honestly it's overwhelming. Some parents swear you have to do it and die by it and others tell you it's bull****. I'm pretty sure the D1 coaches collecting their $500 check for scribbling a few drills on a white board at the Summer clinic aren't much interested in my 13 year old. Can someone out there tell me their kid actually "made it" because they attended, CCM, Selects, PIP, Wade, district camp etc? When is it enough?

Re: When to say enough

The only correct answer is "when they stop enjoying it" otherwise I would say, let them play.

Find another sport for him in the off season and you will not have time for nor lose sleep over these silly extras.

Often when checking starts

Isn’t this the girls’ d board?

Gender Confused
Isn’t this the girls’ d board?
The OP mentioned Wade and PIP? My take was he/she had a boy and didn't feel the pressure he/she does with their girl? Hell, I don't know??

It’s easy to get lost in tournaments as there are so many girl tournament programs for girls to find a spot and tournaments just about every weekend.
I usually tell myself ill sign my daughter up for 3-4…then the phone rings and she ends up with 5-6. But she plays multiple spring/summer sports and that’s her priority during the spring/summer. If there is a conflict, she misses hockey. Burnout is a real thing…

anon
We had a boy who played hockey and is done.
We never experienced the constant pressure to play in all these "showcases", all star teams, clinics, prospects,spring this, summer that etc. We could be at one every weekend. Couple that with skating coaches and shooting coaches and honestly it's overwhelming. Some parents swear you have to do it and die by it and others tell you it's bull****. I'm pretty sure the D1 coaches collecting their $500 check for scribbling a few drills on a white board at the Summer clinic aren't much interested in my 13 year old. Can someone out there tell me their kid actually "made it" because they attended, CCM, Selects, PIP, Wade, district camp etc? When is it enough?
Our families personal experience has been to do minimal off season tournaments but as much skill and fun hockey (spring/summer league stuff) as my kids want. Daughter graduating HS this year and will be playing D3 NCAA next season. She played very little club hockey, played public HS, but has worked very hard with skills and off ice training. She has also played 3 sports for her HS since freshman year and has captained all 3. Most importantly, she's a good student and teammate. Those 2 things will carry someone further than cramming in every "showcase" tournament that comes along in my opinion. Lastly, she had some lower level D1 interest but the school she committed to and the hockey program are just a better fit for her. Good luck!