Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: what would you do

10 years ago you could make a case for prep and those days are gone. At most just do a PG year.

To the guy who says preps are a rat hole.
Spoken like someone who would rather have one more beer than pay to educate their son or daughter. Been there and done that with three kids, one went the Catholic route and excelled in college graduating early. (no it was not some crappy state school) now headed to Harvard for masters degree
Second repeated a year, did the prep thing and passed up the chance to play college hockey and lacrosse to accept a spot at a very good nescac school, with a boatload of financial aid. he also commented how his high school facilities were often times better than some of the college athletic facilities he visited.
Last child is doing the prep thing as well and deciding if pursuing college athletic interest she has received is for her. Either way I have two kids that have found college to be a breeze and a third that is headed in that direction. Say what you will but the right prep for the right reasons is a clear advantage over many other options.
Bottom line is if you don't at least look into the prep route and see what type of interest and financial aid packages your kid might get you are doing him/ her a disservice.
To the original poster, if money is really an issue then checkout some preps, they have money and are not afraid of putting together very generous financial aid packages if they feel the student/athlete will be a good fit. Your son will be expected to play three sports as well as contribute in many other areas of school but it is a fantastic experience you will not regret regardless of hockey in college.

anon
Prep is a huge waste of money. The ultimate rathole...and afterwards they all end-up juniors anyway. Save your $ for college.

Personally I would absolutely recommend the prep route. Do your homework, find a school that meets your kids needs both academically and athletically. Even if hockey doesn't work out he has a fantastic education to fall back on.

anon
anon
Prep is a huge waste of money. The ultimate rathole...and afterwards they all end-up juniors anyway. Save your $ for college.

Personally I would absolutely recommend the prep route. Do your homework, find a school that meets your kids needs both academically and athletically. Even if hockey doesn't work out he has a fantastic education to fall back on.

Totally agree. And if your kid is a really good player, student, kid - or any combination - they will want him and you will get a really great education and experience that will set him up for the future (college, juniors, life - or any combination), for little or no cost.

the education is fine but why pay for college twice? Once for high school and once for college.

"did the prep thing and passed up the chance to play college hockey and lacrosse to accept a spot at a very good nescac school,"

Yes, I'm sure it was your kids decision to pass up college hockey or lacrosse,

Anon
"did the prep thing and passed up the chance to play college hockey and lacrosse to accept a spot at a very good nescac school,"

Yes, I'm sure it was your kids decision to pass up college hockey or lacrosse,

I can certainly see passing up 1-2 years of Jr's to Maybe play Div 1 , instead play at a great academic NESCAC school.

I am sure that is what he meant! Right??