The Official New England Ice Hockey DBoard 

Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
St. Mary's

So I guess they didn't deserve a Super 8 bid.
I'm glad they got their question answered.

Re: St. Mary's

Odds on favorite to win Super 8 next season!!

Father Flannagen

My pick is AP. Very strong returning junior class.

If they all return, absolutely!!

anon
Father Flannagen

My pick is AP. Very strong returning junior class.

Unfortunately heard they were losing 3 dmen next year 1 to ushl and 2 to prep.

Really?
Who would want them?
They lost to a public.

What?
They couldn't even beat a public!

Father Flannagen

Hardly! They couldn't even beat a public!
They have no right to say they can compete with us big boys!

Hopefully they have more depth next year.
That is what killed them.
They were exhausted.
Winning goal would never had been made if #27 had the legs to backcheck on the play.

I think a public beats them a couple times a year most years. Here's a legit question though, the Franklin team that beat them had some kids that were also playing U-18 junior hockey (one defensemen for sure, maybe the best player on the ice), is this allowed?

Anon
I think a public beats them a couple times a year most years. Here's a legit question though, the Franklin team that beat them had some kids that were also playing U-18 junior hockey (one defensemen for sure, maybe the best player on the ice), is this allowed?

Not really true. One D played with SSK last 2 seasons, but left them to play senior year in high school. None of those kids played anything but for Franklin this season. Franklin was solid from blueline back. Forwards gave them just enough to work with, but had enough of them that they could roll 3 lines and get consistent results and pressure. It may not have been "oh my good, look at them" type pressure, but it was enough to wear the other team down.

I think the kid played 23 games for the SSK last season so maybe 10-12 before and 11-12 after the season???? Could be. Good player. Just like the year before when there was a defensemen in the D-1 final that was better than any D man in the Super 8 final. . . and then the Boston Globe comes out with this garbage list of the best players in the state totally missing the better players.

anon
I think the kid played 23 games for the SSK last season so maybe 10-12 before and 11-12 after the season???? Could be. Good player. Just like the year before when there was a defensemen in the D-1 final that was better than any D man in the Super 8 final. . . and then the Boston Globe comes out with this garbage list of the best players in the state totally missing the better players.

Can't speak to the Super 8 player you speak about, but as far as the media, it is no surprise. They have their favorites and speak about the same kids year after year. The kids that have coaches that sell them the best are the kids that get the write ups. Same in every sport, everywhere.

Right on. A couple seasons ago a player on my son's team was picked for all of these 'Best of....," "All League" whatever lists and honest to God the kid was at most a second pairing defensemen and maybe even the #5 D-man ON THE TEAM! Let alone the league or all of Mass Hockey. The biggest bonehead was the local SB Nation writer. Clueless.

If the St Marys captain spent less time talking crap and more time focused on game, maybe that would have pushed St Marys to the 'ship.

Time the school cranks-up the recruiting if they want to compete. You know, how the other C.C. teams do it like CM years ago and now MC and BCH. Hire 3-4 'assistant hockey coaches,' get them firmly embedded into the local youth hockey scene as coaches on some of the top youth squirt & peewee teams, make sure they pick-up a few coaching gigs on some of the summer tournament teams, cherry pick the better players they come across and offer them discounted or free tuition...

Follow this up with making the calls to the junior teams and college teams for your juniors & seniors so the program looks to be dynamic and able to move kids on....

anon
Time the school cranks-up the recruiting if they want to compete. You know, how the other C.C. teams do it like CM years ago and now MC and BCH. Hire 3-4 'assistant hockey coaches,' get them firmly embedded into the local youth hockey scene as coaches on some of the top youth squirt & peewee teams, make sure they pick-up a few coaching gigs on some of the summer tournament teams, cherry pick the better players they come across and offer them discounted or free tuition...

Follow this up with making the calls to the junior teams and college teams for your juniors & seniors so the program looks to be dynamic and able to move kids on....

Also, have them be capable skills coaches for the off season and allow them to be an active participant in running practices.

Anon
Hopefully they have more depth next year.
That is what killed them.
They were exhausted.
Winning goal would never had been made if #27 had the legs to backcheck on the play.

Kid could score, but believe me, attitude will not be missed.

Anon

That last game against Hingham killed our chances.
We should have beaten Franklin easily, but I'd guess the other 4 teams that Franklin beat to get to the Garden probably said the same thing.
We did not roll the 3 lines as consistently as Franklin did and it cost us in the end as we were tired. I think our forwards were better overall, and our top D was better, but Franklin D had better depth. AL made some HUGE stops in net to bail us out, including the 10-beller 2 on 1 at the end of the third period, but Franklin goalie was just as good.
I heard rumors that we have Franklin on the schedule for next season. Anyone know if it is true and where it is being played?

Watched it and actually thought it was a great game. We were waiting for the Super 8 finale but this game was actually better. It was interesting to watch the differing coaching philosophies - St. Mary's went all in and tried to go for the kill with just two lines; Franklin took the patient approach and went with three lines and tired St. Mary's out. I think if you really, really trust your goalie you take your time and stay with what got you there. The difference ended up being the coaching chance they both took and it looked like it could have gone either way.

Also interesting, at least from my perspective was some of the defensemen in the D-1 title game were actually better than the defensemen in the Super 8 title game. Same as the year before when the Hingham defensemen were by-and-large better than those that we saw in the 2015 Super 8 game. More college eyes should be watching all levels as they might find something.

Scout
Watched it and actually thought it was a great game. We were waiting for the Super 8 finale but this game was actually better. It was interesting to watch the differing coaching philosophies - St. Mary's went all in and tried to go for the kill with just two lines; Franklin took the patient approach and went with three lines and tired St. Mary's out. I think if you really, really trust your goalie you take your time and stay with what got you there. The difference ended up being the coaching chance they both took and it looked like it could have gone either way.

Also interesting, at least from my perspective was some of the defensemen in the D-1 title game were actually better than the defensemen in the Super 8 title game. Same as the year before when the Hingham defensemen were by-and-large better than those that we saw in the 2015 Super 8 game. More college eyes should be watching all levels as they might find something.

Very good observations. I was also there for S8 and although I wished the D1 game ended a little bit sooner, it was a fun game to watch. I thought Franklin forwards worked better as a team, but St. Marys forwards were better skilled. I totally agree on the defense. Franklin had the steadier group of the 2. I though the Franklin goalie overall was better and did a better job redirecting the shots, for the most part. The St Mary goalie struck me as a bit nervous or unsure of himself. Both coaches are very seasoned, and both stuck to their plan, as shown by St Marys relentless pressure in the first OT. Franklin's ability to withstand St Mary's pressure and shots on net were impressive.

Anon
Anon

That last game against Hingham killed our chances.
We should have beaten Franklin easily, but I'd guess the other 4 teams that Franklin beat to get to the Garden probably said the same thing.
We did not roll the 3 lines as consistently as Franklin did and it cost us in the end as we were tired. I think our forwards were better overall, and our top D was better, but Franklin D had better depth. AL made some HUGE stops in net to bail us out, including the 10-beller 2 on 1 at the end of the third period, but Franklin goalie was just as good.
I heard rumors that we have Franklin on the schedule for next season. Anyone know if it is true and where it is being played?

Franklin vs. St Marys Lynn
Sgt. Pirelli Veterans Memorial Rink, Franklin
Sat, Jan 14, 2017 6:30PM