High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Is repeating still a thing?

Anon
Anon
My son will be repeating 8th grade this year, along with 5 other kids on the team. I think it gives him another year to mature. I'd rather him do it now than later.

Mine too. I've held him back every year since 3rd grade. Makes his schooling a very long process, but the upside is he can take the car and go buy my beer.

Some kids mature at different times and education needs differ also. If you are stuck in a less than adequate school system then it is a must move. Based of your response, if your kid is at all like you, he has no chance, minds well start drinking just like you did! Congrats loser

Yeah the hockey coach is well versed in the kids "differing educational needs."

Parents just need to STOP with the B.S. when the hockey coach suggests the kid to stay back it isn't for educational anything. It's not like C.C. Schools any different academically than an average public. CM & BCH & MC & AP &...&.... Are hardly difficult schools.

Anon
My son will be repeating 8th grade this year, along with 5 other kids on the team. I think it gives him another year to mature. I'd rather him do it now than later.

Exactly , it is more about maturity and grades . We kept our son back this past year in 8th grade , nothing to do with hockey , has an August birthday and is young for his grade . Now one of the oldest and on honor roll , much more mature as well for this current grade .

I'm sure the hockey coach is really happy about the kids grades........

anon
Anon

Exactly , it is more about maturity and grades . We kept our son back this past year in 8th grade , nothing to do with hockey , has an August birthday and is young for his grade . Now one of the oldest and on honor roll , much more mature as well for this current grade .

so in other words, instead of having him repeat Algebra, you'll jut have him repeat the 8th grade again, nice, know wonder why he is getting better grades

Anon
anon
Anon

so in other words, instead of having him repeat Algebra, you'll jut have him repeat the 8th grade again, nice, know wonder why he is getting better grades

I believe they are saying there is more to life than hockey . Grades and some maturity before heading to high school . I think for some kids going to college at 17 is a bit young ........

anon
Anon
anon
Anon

I believe they are saying there is more to life than hockey . Grades and some maturity before heading to high school . I think for some kids going to college at 17 is a bit young ........

don't know what decade your living in but they've rolled back the cut-off month for kids that go to school to Sept. 1st many years ago. almost no one goes to college at the age of 17

It's not a national or even state regulation I believe.

Anon
anon
Anon

Not in other words, in the exact words I said above. Maturity and grades are the main reason. My son is coming from a public school with and average of 24 kids in each class and needs some help. Repeating a year at a school with 10-13 kids in his class is a good environment for him. You take care of your kids and I'll take care of mine but its more than repeating Algebra (by the way, Math is a strong subject for him, it was English Essay that was the problem) and the athletics offerings are off the chart.

I know first hand, 4-5 years ago when one of my good friends' kid was transferring from one of the top public schools in the state to one of the, Ah-hum, C.C. schools and the hockey coach (who was also a councillor) was the one that mentioned the kid should repeat 8th grade. Academically C.C. schools would not be confused with a top quartile of public schools in the state so it is pretty insane that the hockey coach would go there when the kid was coming out of one of the top 10-15 publics.

anon
I know first hand, 4-5 years ago when one of my good friends' kid was transferring from one of the top public schools in the state to one of the, Ah-hum, C.C. schools and the hockey coach (who was also a councillor) was the one that mentioned the kid should repeat 8th grade. Academically C.C. schools would not be confused with a top quartile of public schools in the state so it is pretty insane that the hockey coach would go there when the kid was coming out of one of the top 10-15 publics.

The so-called top 10-15 public schools still have dumb kids, remember, it's public, so they have to take everyone.

Pope Francis or Prep

Anon
anon

The so-called top 10-15 public schools still have dumb kids, remember, it's public, so they have to take everyone.

But I thought these Catholic schools had admissions tests...if the kid is so far behind he needs to repeat, why would they let the kid into their school? And if the kid is behind by 'Catholic school standards' (sic) why is he playing a sport at all?

And many of these C.C. schools already have eliminated the brightest and hardest working half of today's h.s. students by not having girls in their ranks which gets me to why you would even go to a Catholic school - a) you are a religious fanatic and Jesus means everything to you; b) the idea of your son Rico Suave mixing it up with girls on a daily basis would undoubtedly end-up with you becoming a grandparent in the next couple years; c) sports, coaches and a chance to win a championship and have a coach that has a little bit of a clue on how to get your kid a college deal.

anon
Anon
anon

But I thought these Catholic schools had admissions tests...if the kid is so far behind he needs to repeat, why would they let the kid into their school? And if the kid is behind by 'Catholic school standards' (sic) why is he playing a sport at all?

And many of these C.C. schools already have eliminated the brightest and hardest working half of today's h.s. students by not having girls in their ranks which gets me to why you would even go to a Catholic school - a) you are a religious fanatic and Jesus means everything to you; b) the idea of your son Rico Suave mixing it up with girls on a daily basis would undoubtedly end-up with you becoming a grandparent in the next couple years; c) sports, coaches and a chance to win a championship and have a coach that has a little bit of a clue on how to get your kid a college deal.

The Catholic schools provide structure and a curriculum approved by educators ( and schools trustees) not some crazy moon bat parent/ school committee and the State. Why would they encourage a kid to stay back outside of the obvious ( extra year of tuition) to allow them to mature and develop ( in all areas). Public schools have gone way off course ( too many metrics, too many chiefs, too much politics) lack of control of kids. It mirrors our society! If you have the money, go private, catholic, prep. If you live in Weston, Wellesley, Lexington, Winchester than you have a choice. Then again, if you live in those towns money may not be an issue!!

When is the last time you took a walk around a public school during school hours vs. walking around a private school? You cant compare the environmnets- 1 is very chaotic and 1 is very structured. School settings have changed dramatically over the past 10-15 years. The private school environment has evolved and is up to date compared to years past. I like the fact that I dont have to ask "was there any trouble today?" and if that means he needs to repeat 1 year, then he repeats. The outstanding sports offerings is a bonus but also played a huge role in the decision.

anon
Anon

Did you not know this when he was entering kindergarten 8 years ago? Or was he not a good enough skater back then?

anon
anon
Anon

Did you not know this when he was entering kindergarten 8 years ago? Or was he not a good enough skater back then?

They did know then. It was just that their family advisor thought it would be better to wait to repeat in 8th grade as opposed to Kindergarten.

anon
Seems like the kid is taking one for the high school coach as this just burns a year of juniors the kid could play - which for the kid is more important than another year of high school.

This

Seriously people???!!! You are going to keep your kid back in school in 8th grade for HOCKEY???!!! I don't care who you think your kid is, unless you are going into this knowing that your kid will not be drafted by an NHL team and will not be playing D1 hockey in college, you are doing it wrong. If your kid does happen to make a D1 college or gets drafted, then it's a bonus. Keeping a kid out of high school for an extra year because the high school coach suggests it is stupid.