Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: ISL hockey

anon
anon
anon
If your goal is to have your son play college hockey then going the prep route is the 100% best route to take. Prep is a balance of education and athletics and thats exactly what colleges are looking for. Good students and good athletes. The Tier 1 setup in the northeast is ridiculous. Kids will miss a ton of school, its very expensive and there is a ton of travel all for what? Despite a ton of players that have played at BA not a high percentage play college hockey.

"If your goal is to have your son play college hockey then going the prep route is the 100% best route to take." Oooof. You paid the tuition payment and drank the Kool-Aide and now let me know how that goes. Look at some of the local Prep coaches and see what they have have failed to do for their players to land college deals.

Simply put, if your goal is to have your son play college hockey then the USHL is by faaaaaaaaaar the 'best route to take.' Look at the numbers. Next very well maybe Tier I and some of the Jr. programs - select programs, not the league in general. Then might be Prep hockey.

You do understand that almost every kid from this area that is playing in the USHL played Prep hockey prior to going to the USHL right?

Not true that 'almost every kid' did but the ones that did figured it out pretty fast. The hockey is good, the education is good but at the price an upgrade in hockey is a no brainer.

anon
anon
anon
anon
If your goal is to have your son play college hockey then going the prep route is the 100% best route to take. Prep is a balance of education and athletics and thats exactly what colleges are looking for. Good students and good athletes. The Tier 1 setup in the northeast is ridiculous. Kids will miss a ton of school, its very expensive and there is a ton of travel all for what? Despite a ton of players that have played at BA not a high percentage play college hockey.

"If your goal is to have your son play college hockey then going the prep route is the 100% best route to take." Oooof. You paid the tuition payment and drank the Kool-Aide and now let me know how that goes. Look at some of the local Prep coaches and see what they have have failed to do for their players to land college deals.

Simply put, if your goal is to have your son play college hockey then the USHL is by faaaaaaaaaar the 'best route to take.' Look at the numbers. Next very well maybe Tier I and some of the Jr. programs - select programs, not the league in general. Then might be Prep hockey.

You do understand that almost every kid from this area that is playing in the USHL played Prep hockey prior to going to the USHL right?

Not true that 'almost every kid' did but the ones that did figured it out pretty fast. The hockey is good, the education is good but at the price an upgrade in hockey is a no brainer.

The kids that've jumped early from prep (i.e., before graduation) generally haven't been at strong academic schools. They've been at schools that are really just hockey academies in disguise--Cushing, Thayer, Dexter, Salisbury.

anon
The kids that've jumped early from prep (i.e., before graduation) generally haven't been at strong academic schools. They've been at schools that are really just hockey academies in disguise--Cushing, Thayer, Dexter, Salisbury. [/quote]

Vesey left Belmont Hill, went to Harvard, won the hobey and will be playing in the nhl next season. People can take different paths.

ANON

Vesey left Belmont Hill, went to Harvard, won the hobey and will be playing in the nhl next season. People can take different paths.

And Miles Wood went straight from Nobles to BC--although he did repeat TWO years along the way.

Yeah it's a 'pretty high level' but it's not all that great. The deal with going the USHL route is not to worry about your high school education because at that point it's all about hockey and what college you will be attending. I doubt Hockey East schools worry about what high school you got your diploma from same for top academic D-III colleges that want you.

In my eyes the college coaches would rather have a 20 year old man as a freshman player than an 18 year old so you need to put in your time in Juniors either way so you might as well start now to get to know the programs and coaches. Furthermore I'm hearing the college scouts and coaches complain about having to watch some 19 year old PG kid playing against 15 and 16 year old kids in Prep hockey.

anon
Yeah it's a 'pretty high level' but it's not all that great. The deal with going the USHL route is not to worry about your high school education because at that point it's all about hockey and what college you will be attending. I doubt Hockey East schools worry about what high school you got your diploma from same for top academic D-III colleges that want you.

In my eyes the college coaches would rather have a 20 year old man as a freshman player than an 18 year old so you need to put in your time in Juniors either way so you might as well start now to get to know the programs and coaches. Furthermore I'm hearing the college scouts and coaches complain about having to watch some 19 year old PG kid playing against 15 and 16 year old kids in Prep hockey.

All True! How many New England kids play in the USHL every year? Maybe 20?

NAHL? Maybe 5-10. More now as they are heading east.

BCHL? Maybe 5-10.

Maybe 40 kids from New England every year do not pay to play.

How many of those kids parents come to the D board?

"How many of those kid's parents come to the D board?"

Most I would think have been here.

anon
"How many of those kid's parents come to the D board?"

Most I would think have been here.

I was thinking the same thing! Had come here. Now that they have moved to greener pastures, not so much.

Do you agree that maybe 40 maybe 50 a year from New England do not pay to play?

anon
anon
People are starting to figure-out the whole 'prep hockey' thing is a sham. The hockey isn't THAT great and the coaches aren't always working that hard for the kids to move-on, the 'great education' might get your kid maybe, just maybe up a slight notch up in schools with the Prep schools help in admissions but at $25-$40K a year it is hard to justify as a wise economic decision.

A case could easily be made to have the kid (if he's that good of a player) to move out to the USHL and play for free; stay local and either play at the new NAHL team in Attleboro (free); stay local and play in the Tier I league for BA or play in the USPHL for $7-10K. The fat difference in expenditures can buy a lot of tutors and admissions help for getting the kid into his dream school. Odds are you will need some of that Prep tuition $ to pay for college anyway.

Hang around the summer tournaments and you will see there is no magic to the kids that play Prep hockey, they just have a bit more depth than the next level down.

What ISL and other prep do give you is the opportunity to play pretty high level--certainly higher than public--hockey without having to disregard your education like you do the other routes. The USHL clearly has higher level hockey--but do you want your kid to go to Sioux City High?? If you play for BA in the Tier 1 league you won't be staying "local"--they play teams from all over the country and you'll be racking up some serious frequent flyer mileage--and you'll be missing lots of school (and work for the dads who travel too). The new NAHL team in Attleboro is a nice idea, but I'll believe that "no pay" hockey works in this area when I see it. Oh, and, even if it does, there'll only be 20 spots or so available.

Unfortunately, the presence of all the preps basically prevented quality local 16U and 18U club leagues from forming in our area, which is what the rest of the country besides Minnesota--has. To stay local and play higher quality hockey, prep is really the only game in town. It sucks that it costs so much to go this route, but if the schools really want your kid--and you qualify--there's generally financial aid available. And yes, I agree that some of the ISL and other prep schools really aren't that great educationally. But for the guy who said Nobles is not a good school, he should look at its matriculation.

Know some pretty dumb hockey players that went to Nobles, Nobles is a far cry from Exeter or Andover

Anon

Know some pretty dumb hockey players that went to Nobles, Nobles is a far cry from Exeter or Andover

Just because the hockey players are dumb doesn't mean the school is bad. Most schools bend their admission standards for athletes.

anon
Anon

Just because the hockey players are dumb doesn't mean the school is bad. Most schools bend their admission standards for athletes.

Not Exeter or Andover, they don't bend their admissions standards. so it looks like the perch you've built for Nobles is starting to slip

Anon
anon
Anon

Not Exeter or Andover, they don't bend their admissions standards. so it looks like the perch you've built for Nobles is starting to slip

Sorry to burst your bubble but even Exeter and Andover do it.

anon
Anon
anon
Anon

Not likely as I'm very familiar with the process at one of the schools

Anon
anon

Not likely as I'm very familiar with the process at one of the schools

And Harvard and Yale don't do it either

anon
People are starting to figure-out the whole 'prep hockey' thing is a sham. The hockey isn't THAT great and the coaches aren't always working that hard for the kids to move-on, the 'great education' might get your kid maybe, just maybe up a slight notch up in schools with the Prep schools help in admissions but at $25-$40K a year it is hard to justify as a wise economic decision.

A case could easily be made to have the kid (if he's that good of a player) to move out to the USHL and play for free; stay local and either play at the new NAHL team in Attleboro (free); stay local and play in the Tier I league for BA or play in the USPHL for $7-10K. The fat difference in expenditures can buy a lot of tutors and admissions help for getting the kid into his dream school. Odds are you will need some of that Prep tuition $ to pay for college anyway.

Hang around the summer tournaments and you will see there is no magic to the kids that play Prep hockey, they just have a bit more depth than the next level down.

sorry your kid couldn't get into a good prep school

Never gave a single thought to throwing $ down a rat hole. The kids have done alright though. They're doing everything academically and athletically they've ever wanted.

Here's the deal. My kid goes to a good public school. Every year they send a handful of kids to top 10 universities and the bulk of the student body gets accepted to what their parents think are great schools - you know NESCAC, BC, Providence, BU...and a bunch of non-Ivy eastern schools.

So a few years ago a few kids on the high school hockey team (D-I) did well as juniors and they packed-up and went to a local 'Prep School' as day students. Coach had them stay back a year so they were in it for two years of prep about $70-80,000. They do alright in hockey, they do alright in school and they graduate. Now one is playing on a good D-III team which is a good school and the other is also playing on a marginal D-III team and the school isn't anything to write home about academically.

So you tell me, what difference would it had been if they stayed at their high school and then played a year of junior hockey?

anon
Here's the deal. My kid goes to a good public school. Every year they send a handful of kids to top 10 universities and the bulk of the student body gets accepted to what their parents think are great schools - you know NESCAC, BC, Providence, BU...and a bunch of non-Ivy eastern schools.

So a few years ago a few kids on the high school hockey team (D-I) did well as juniors and they packed-up and went to a local 'Prep School' as day students. Coach had them stay back a year so they were in it for two years of prep about $70-80,000. They do alright in hockey, they do alright in school and they graduate. Now one is playing on a good D-III team which is a good school and the other is also playing on a marginal D-III team and the school isn't anything to write home about academically.

So you tell me, what difference would it had been if they stayed at their high school and then played a year of junior hockey?

And what is your kid doing? Salem St.?

Anon
anon

Well he has chosen to go to Michigan and he might play club hockey there. Thanks for asking though.

anon
Anon
anon

Well he has chosen to go to Michigan and he might play club hockey there. Thanks for asking though.

him and 50,000 other students, sorry he couldn't play real hockey

Anon
anon
Anon
anon

No dog in this fight but I imagine a school in the upper mid west with 50,000 kids probably could field a pretty strong club team! Not a bad education either. Salem State NCAA team? or U Michigan Club team?

And outside of a couple local schools (Harvard & MIT) it's a better school anyway. Congrats!

Anon
Anon
anon
Anon
anon

No dog in this fight but I imagine a school in the upper mid west with 50,000 kids probably could field a pretty strong club team! Not a bad education either. Salem State NCAA team? or U Michigan Club team?

Again, sorry your kid could make a real hockey team

Anon
Anon
Anon
anon
Anon
anon

Could make? or couldn't make? Again, I will take the Big Blue education. When he is playing in a beer league someday ( with your kid) and people ask where he works, he can say.... when they ask where he played he can say Club hockey at Michigan.

Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
anon
Anon
anon

Could make? or couldn't make? Again, I will take the Big Blue education. When he is playing in a beer league someday ( with your kid) and people ask where he works, he can say.... when they ask where he played he can say Club hockey at Michigan.

When did Michigan become an Ivy league school? Club hockey is great for recreation but lets no confuse that will playing even D3 hockey. BU club team played Assumption this year and lost handily.

Guys kind of right though, outside of a few Ivy's Michigan just might be a better / more respected school...just don't mention that to the locals

Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
anon
Anon
anon

If your so happy with your kids decision, why do you keep coming on her and justifying it? Obviously you are not happy that he didn't make it to "real" college hockey?

? I think the point was the kid made a decision to get an education rather than play some backwater D-3 hockey and you call that "real hockey"????

Guy posted Assumption played against BU's club team, is this common? Is BU's club team any good as far as club teams go?

anon
Guy posted Assumption played against BU's club team, is this common? Is BU's club team any good as far as club teams go?

Its not common but I believe BU club filled in for Franklin Pierce on the schedule since FP season got terminated for hazing and Assumption needed a team for senior night. Assumption beat BU Club 6-2.

http://www.assumptiongreyhounds.com/sports/mice/2015-16/schedule

6-2, at least they scored a couple!

And if my kid told me he would rather play d-III hockey and go to Framingham State, UMass Dartmouth, Salem State, USNH ....rather than one of the better schools in the country and play club, I'd get his head examined.

I'm curious, for those bashing the higher level ISL schools as a waste of money, have you done any research? If you haven't, try Google and you will find that through a combination of factors, the elite private schools are well worth the financial commitment if a family can afford it, and Nobles is certainly classified as an elite school. On average, the top 20 prep schools in the US send 30% of their graduates to Ivies, MIT, or Stanford, how does that compare you your local HS. If your sole focus for your son is hockey, there are certainly other, cheaper & better routes available but if it's about where he is going to be professionally at 35, Nobles, Phillips, Groton, etc will provide your child a head start that could last a lifetime.

I think you're looking for the College Education DBoard.

"If your sole focus for your son is hockey, there are certainly other, cheaper & better routes" was the whole point of the discussion I thought.

anon
I'm curious, for those bashing the higher level ISL schools as a waste of money, have you done any research? If you haven't, try Google and you will find that through a combination of factors, the elite private schools are well worth the financial commitment if a family can afford it, and Nobles is certainly classified as an elite school. On average, the top 20 prep schools in the US send 30% of their graduates to Ivies, MIT, or Stanford, how does that compare you your local HS. If your sole focus for your son is hockey, there are certainly other, cheaper & better routes available but if it's about where he is going to be professionally at 35, Nobles, Phillips, Groton, etc will provide your child a head start that could last a lifetime.

The 30% Ivy+ matriculation numbers these schools advertise is VERY misleading since none of the schools disclose how many of the kids they send to the Ivy+ are legacies, recruited athletes or underrepresented minorities. My guess is its actually EASIER for a non-legacy-athlete-minority to get into an Ivy from his or her local high school simply because fewer kids are applying to them from the local school. Further, just about every kid at one of the top prep schools (excluding the same legacy, athlete, minority population) would be in the top 10% if they stayed in their local schools. But, by definition, only 10% of the kids at the prep school can be in the top 10% there! So many, many kids who would be in the top 10% in their local school will actually be in the BOTTOM half of their prep school class! Try getting into Harvard if you're in the bottom half of the class at Andover--and you're not a legacy, recruited athlete or underrepresented minority!

But this is the D-Board so lets get back to hockey.

Like the O.K. student (Brockton) with O.K. test scores ("near 2200") who got into 7 out of the 8 Ivies he applied to because he is a child of Nigerian immigrants.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2016/04/27/brockton-high-school-student-gets-into-seven-out-eight-ivy-league-schools/rI3DlHMZPXbEeMxyX8GR5N/story.html

Somewhere Elizabeth Warren is smiling and somewhere some white suburban 4.0, 2400 kid is wondering what went wrong.

Make Nigeria Great Again!

anon
? I think the point was the kid made a decision to get an education rather than play some backwater D-3 hockey and you call that "real hockey"????

Wrong on both counts! Not my kid! Just saying that playing club hockey at Michigan and getting that education is not a fail. If it were my kid, I would love for him to go to Colby, Bowdoin, Middlebury, any NESCAC school and play Div 3 hockey as opposed to club hockey, but that doesn't mean the kid has Failed! If my son turned down U Michigan to play hockey at a Mass State U, I would support it but might challenge him to really think about it. If he went the state college/ hockey route, the education would be fine and likely a good all around experience. To the person who suggested BU club was on par with U Michigan Club, I'm not sure but highly doubt it. Guess long and short, not one size fits all