The Official New England Ice Hockey DBoard 

Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Which is stronger Hockey-Prep or AAA (U18 Tier1)

anon
Tier I as in Tier I Elite League? Tier I is better and they play against kids their own age.

Its not that clear cut actually. The best kids from Tier 1 league at the U18 level tend to leave for the USHL. The best prep kids tend to stay through graduation and then go to the USHL. At U16, Tier 1 is very strong--for example, the U16 NJ Avalanche actually beat their U18 team in scrimmages this year--and both teams went to Nationals. However, the U16 River Rats and the U16 Yale Bulldogs, each made up of prep players who never (in the case of the River Rats) or rarely (in the case of Yale) practiced together, both beat the U16 Avalanche early in last year's split season. By the end of the season, though, neither would likely have been likely to repeat that as the Avalanche had the benefit of 5 practices together per week and a couple of strong additions to their roster. You also have to consider what type of prep school you are considering. My guess is that schools that consistently make the Elite 8 could compete with any U18 team.

anon
anon
Tier I as in Tier I Elite League? Tier I is better and they play against kids their own age.

Its not that clear cut actually. The best kids from Tier 1 league at the U18 level tend to leave for the USHL. The best prep kids tend to stay through graduation and then go to the USHL. At U16, Tier 1 is very strong--for example, the U16 NJ Avalanche actually beat their U18 team in scrimmages this year--and both teams went to Nationals. However, the U16 River Rats and the U16 Yale Bulldogs, each made up of prep players who never (in the case of the River Rats) or rarely (in the case of Yale) practiced together, both beat the U16 Avalanche early in last year's split season. By the end of the season, though, neither would likely have been likely to repeat that as the Avalanche had the benefit of 5 practices together per week and a couple of strong additions to their roster. You also have to consider what type of prep school you are considering. My guess is that schools that consistently make the Elite 8 could compete with any U18 team.

Awesome Insight! Thank You

anon

The top 18's don't play Tier I Elite, they are playing in the USHL against bigger stronger older kids.

Anon
anon

The top 18's don't play Tier I Elite, they are playing in the USHL against bigger stronger older kids.

That is a good point and makes sense. I am sure some are in the NAHL and USPHL & EHL Premiere, as well.

"...top 18's don't play Tier I Elite, they are playing in the USHL"

That pretty much tells you it all. T1 Elite go onto USHL and Prep scramble for spots on Jr. teams locally when they're 19 years old with a handful making it to the USHL & college.

anon

That pretty much tells you it all. T1 Elite go onto USHL and Prep scramble for spots on Jr. teams locally when they're 19 years old with a handful making it to the USHL & college.

Scramble? How many players from IHC, Jr Bruins, NJ are committed Div 1? How many are committed Div 3?

I am guessing 25-30 Division 1 and probably the same for Div 3. Pretty **** good huh?

I thought it was T1 or Prep but you're right on thise programs.

Another difference it seems T1 coaches work their tails off to get the kids college deals and it never seemed Prep all worked that hard.

There are not a lot of crossover games between Prep and Tier 1 teams to compare the two.

One team that does crossover is Culver Military Academy out of Indiana. They were finalists in the Tier 1 National Championship this year.

They come east for a couple tournaments against Prep teams each winter during the holidays. Their record was 4-4 in their 8 games against New England Prep teams this past season. It's a small sample but relevant to the topic.

anon

The vast majority of local kids that go on to play in the USHL and college come from the prep ranks.

anon
anon

The vast majority of local kids that go on to play in the USHL and college come from the prep ranks.

My 2 cents - the T1 Elite league is more for midwest where they don't have a prep school option as good as NE provides. That being said, the T1 league is expensive and not suited well for solid students since they miss a ton of school with all the travel. Based on what I have seen usually the T1 league is full of good hockey players that aren't great students who couldnt keep up with the vigors of preps academics.

My kid goes to an ISL school and plays T1EHL. He's an honors student and has plenty of time to do his schoolwork. You're talking 5 or 6 full day Fridays in the fall, and a couple of missed Friday classes, that's about it. Yes, it's hard to balance, but better than wasting time playing Prep JV (joke) five days a week.

Anon
My kid goes to an ISL school and plays T1EHL. He's an honors student and has plenty of time to do his schoolwork. You're talking 5 or 6 full day Fridays in the fall, and a couple of missed Friday classes, that's about it. Yes, it's hard to balance, but better than wasting time playing Prep JV (joke) five days a week.

So you're paying for prep AND club because your kid didn't make varsity? Maybe you need to reevaluate your goals for his hockey.

anon
Anon

So you're paying for prep AND club because your kid didn't make varsity? Maybe you need to reevaluate your goals for his hockey.

I would be curious about that as well. Also, how do you get around the three season sport requirements? Which school? Hats off to you if you can make that work financially!

anon
anon
Anon

I would be curious about that as well. Also, how do you get around the three season sport requirements? Which school? Hats off to you if you can make that work financially!

Thanks. Appreciate it. Yeah, shocker, not every D Board dad pulls down south of $80K a year.

Another shocker - he goes to a Prep school for the education.

As far as his hockey, they aren't my goals, they're his. I'll let him know you think he's foolish to dream. Damm teenagers these days. Should just pack it in at 15 and work in the mall.

Hard for Freshmen to make some Keller teams. He does, after all, still have three years. T1EHL represented the best development option.

Anon
anon
anon
Anon

Thanks. Appreciate it. Yeah, shocker, not every D Board dad pulls down south of $80K a year.

As far as his hockey, they aren't my goals, they're his. I'll let him know you think he's foolish to dream. Damm teenagers these days. Should just pack it in at 15 and work in the mall.

Hard for Freshmen to make some Keller teams. He does, after all, still have three years. T1EHL represented the best development option.

Great response

anon
Anon
anon
anon
Anon

Great response

I was thinking the same thing or maybe the NH Monarchs which have just joined Tier 1. Either way, seems like they are keeping their Chauffeur busy with all the trips to prep school and hockey practice ( and by the tone lax) Not that I would understand!!

Before you supersleuths give yourself a migraine, he's a boarding student and the T1 team is back home.

Anon
Before you supersleuths give yourself a migraine, he's a boarding student and the T1 team is back home.

Oh that seems reasonable; He goes to boarding school and still finds time to play Tier 1 AAA Midget hockey.

And listen here High Falutin Dboard troll. You can take your fancy ten cent lexicon and go waste your money on Prep school & AAA midget hockey. I am presuming by your fancy talk and pompous attitude that you are likely in High Finance, i.e not giving anything back to society except "Poisoning the Well". So crunch these numbers Mr Fancy Pants ( Full Pay sucker); Boarding school $55-$60k, AAA hockey $10k - $12k. God that must give you a migraine after you digest those numbers.

Better bet - Good Day school $20- $25 k and AAA $10K-$12K. Or send him to a decent boarding school that has a decent JV program that competes against U16 teams. Half the cost and you get to save on the chaueffers OT driving around Spaulding Jr.

Spaulding Smales
Anon

Oh that seems reasonable; He goes to boarding school and still finds time to play Tier 1 AAA Midget hockey.

And listen here High Falutin Dboard troll. You can take your fancy ten cent lexicon and go waste your money on Prep school & AAA midget hockey. I am presuming by your fancy talk and pompous attitude that you are likely in High Finance, i.e not giving anything back to society except "Poisoning the Well". So crunch these numbers Mr Fancy Pants ( Full Pay sucker); Boarding school $55-$60k, AAA hockey $10k - $12k. God that must give you a migraine after you digest those numbers.

Better bet - Good Day school $20- $25 k and AAA $10K-$12K. Or send him to a decent boarding school that has a decent JV program that competes against U16 teams. Half the cost and you get to save on the chaueffers OT driving around Spaulding Jr.

You all assume these guys are paying full tuition. Sorry to break it to you, but if his boy is a good student, good kid and a good hockey player, at some schools he's not paying anywhere close to full ticket - & even if he's not playing varsity at 15...

A lot of these kids are way more than very good hockey players - and while the may dream of the NHL and D1 hockey, the reality is that school is most important at the end, so prep plus development may be their best path.

anon

You all assume these guys are paying full tuition. Sorry to break it to you, but if his boy is a good student, good kid and a good hockey player, at some schools he's not paying anywhere close to full ticket - & even if he's not playing varsity at 15...

A lot of these kids are way more than very good hockey players - and while the may dream of the NHL and D1 hockey, the reality is that school is most important at the end, so prep plus development may be their best path.

If the guy can afford club on top of boarding school, he's not qualifying for financial aid. ISL schools only provide need based aid, and if he can spend another $10-15k there's no way one of the schools will let him give it to somebody else.

Anon

So you're just a guy with money who got ***** when your son got cut from varsity. No way jayvee is good enough for your little Gretzky. I'm sure he tore up T1. You sure showed 'em!

If you need to worry about $ then hockey might not be the sport for you and your kid. The game is expensive, the scholarships are few, there is no economic justification for it....it's like owning a boat; makes no $ense.

anon
If you need to worry about $ then hockey might not be the sport for you and your kid. The game is expensive, the scholarships are few, there is no economic justification for it....it's like owning a boat; makes no $ense.

The problem with hockey, it seems to me, is that TOO MANY people have money. Guys like TL are very happy to scoop it up by telling them their kid has potential, all he needs is development. Mass hockey is so diluted because there are just too many options for kids to keep playing. Mr. Moneybags keep feeding his "kid's" dream (dream of what, by the way?) and I guarantee he wasn't on the list of top 10 scorers at BA U16, all of whom go to public school.

anon

Yeah, with the only local T1EHL program having practice out of Pilgrim in the early afternoon that is quite a trick. My guess is Thayer since its closest and only a few really strong freshmen make the varsity. Maybe Thayer doesn't have a sports requirement?