email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: High School 17-minute periods

anon
So how is it the DBoard'ers see it and the MIAA can't? And spare the few DBoard'ers that believe it is still 2005 and the publics have a snowball's chance.

MIAA is inept.

Expanding the Catholic School High School Championship field to 16 teams is ridiculous when there might not be 16 Catholic schools in the entire state with hockey teams.

anon
So how is it the DBoard'ers see it and the MIAA can't? And spare the few DBoard'ers that believe it is still 2005 and the publics have a snowball's chance.

Because MIAA is an absolutely corrupt and incompetent organization. They make the NCAA look well-run. The very fact that they don't see that there is no way that public high school teams are in any way comparable to private and Catholic schools just shows their stupidity. How can you put up teams which are recruited from all over the country and overseas against teams made of whoever happens to go to that school. So there should absolutely be two separate Super 8s or just get rid of it all together.

Anon
anon

Because MIAA is an absolutely corrupt and incompetent organization. They make the NCAA look well-run. The very fact that they don't see that there is no way that public high school teams are in any way comparable to private and Catholic schools just shows their stupidity. How can you put up teams which are recruited from all over the country and overseas against teams made of whoever happens to go to that school. So there should absolutely be two separate Super 8s or just get rid of it all together.

Recruited from "all over the country and overseas"??? Try less than 20 miles from school in most instances. Last I checked, Catholics don't board or billet players.

I know AC was famous for having a few Russian kids right?

23? Let's see there was one on the 4th line this year and one on the 3rd line last year.

All of the others left town hockey when they were Squirts and maybe a few stayed through Peewees. All of them come from BA, BJT or BSB.

anon
23? Let's see there was one on the 4th line this year and one on the 3rd line last year.

All of the others left town hockey when they were Squirts and maybe a few stayed through Peewees. All of them come from BA, BJT or BSB.

By leaving out an important fact, you just identified the real, underlying reason that Hingham and other "top" high school hockey programs can't compete--none (okay, maybe one or two) of Hingham's players play on the Tier 1 teams from any of those programs. The kids just aren't good enough to play Tier 1 and expecting them to compete against Catholics made up completely of Tier 1 players is ludicrous.

anon
anon

By leaving out an important fact, you just identified the real, underlying reason that Hingham and other "top" high school hockey programs can't compete--none (okay, maybe one or two) of Hingham's players play on the Tier 1 teams from any of those programs. The kids just aren't good enough to play Tier 1 and expecting them to compete against Catholics made up completely of Tier 1 players is ludicrous.

I'm not sure you know much about some of the players. Let's just say yes there are typically 10-12 kids that play Tier 1 for these programs and some play for the high school because oddly enough hockey might not be their recruited / primary sport or they chose to move on to academics in college rather than play at some D-3 college up in the hills of wherever after a year or two of juniors.

But that is in fact the difference. Top public kids can play with top kids from any school - you see it all summer and fall in the tournaments and during the summer at the camps and college combines. The difference is depth, or number of kids that can play at a high level. When a public has two lines and two sets of D that actually can play against four full lines it doesn't take long for the wheels to come off so yes, you are right.

anon

I'm not sure you know much about some of the players. Let's just say yes there are typically 10-12 kids that play Tier 1 for these programs and some play for the high school because oddly enough hockey might not be their recruited / primary sport or they chose to move on to academics in college rather than play at some D-3 college up in the hills of wherever after a year or two of juniors.

But that is in fact the difference. Top public kids can play with top kids from any school - you see it all summer and fall in the tournaments and during the summer at the camps and college combines. The difference is depth, or number of kids that can play at a high level. When a public has two lines and two sets of D that actually can play against four full lines it doesn't take long for the wheels to come off so yes, you are right.

Sorry, I was using the generic term "Tier 1" to mean the top level--like "Tier 1 Nationals". Hingham probably does have 10-12 "Tier 1" players--surprised its not more--using the EHF nomenclature, Tier 1 being the level below "Elite". [Everywhere else that would be called Tier 2.] My bad. I should have said the Catholics are full of "Elite" level players of which Hingham and other publics have very few.

No we are on the same page. Yes, Tier 1 'National Bound' they would in the past few years have 5-6 at the U-18 level and 4-5 at the U-16 level. Now ask the coaches who or what that means and they would be lost trying to figure it out. Just not enough compared to those that recruit the better 12-13 year olds in the region.

Plus, many of the Catholics will have their lids on just a few teams for summer & fall. Publics will have kids on 6-8 different teams all playing different systems.

Depth, recruiting, coaching, working to get the kids deals.... Totally different.

When my son was an 8th grader he skated with a pretty good team. After practice a coach from a local catholic school which is kind of a hockey school took 4-5 kids aside and chatted with them about attending his school. After the chat I asked my son if he was interested and he was kind of dumbfounded by the whole thing. "Why would I go to that school just to play hockey?"