The Official New England Ice Hockey DBoard 

Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Has anyone on here actually played college hockey or have a kid who has?

Okay, so never mind about whether you or your kid played college hockey. Does anyone have any thoughts on the subject? It seems like most people on this board are pro college hockey vs. CHL. If the kids can't even be real students, it doesn't seem like the difference is so clear. Very few college hockey players at the D-1 level (and none at D-3) are getting full-ride athletic scholarships--you're still going to pay a lot of money even if your kid gets a 2 for 4 at BC or limited financial aid at Williams. So, if the kid can't really be a student, in essence you're still paying for hockey! It is true that a very high percentage of college hockey players graduate with degrees, which are certainly worth something, but if they didn't learn anything, you've got to question how much.

Alternatively, if the kid played in the Q for 2 years after high school, he could go to college afterwards as a full-time student. [Sure, most kids that go major junior don't go to college, but fewer Canadians in general go to 4-year colleges than Americans. Why would hockey players be any different?] Assuming the kid could get into the same school (which is a BIG assumption for most hockey players--but assume the kid is smart and tests well) and could get the same financial aid package at an Ivy or D-3, why not let him get hockey out of his system for 2 years up North and then come back and really focus on his studies?

anon
Just wondering what life is like as a college hockey player insofar as actually being a student is concerned? Specifically, I guess, my question is are college hockey players able to really focus on their studies or does hockey take up pretty much all of their time?

i can't speak directly, but did have a nephew that played football for a D3 (no $$$) state school -- lasted two years (quit this year). his day was VERY regimented:

monday - friday: 8a team breakfast, 9-1 class room, 2-5 team practice (be it film, weight room or on field), 6 team dinner, 7-9 they met in a large room to do homework - no bs allowed, a coach was in attendance to ensure compliance (makes sense otherwise they become ineligible).

saturday were game days, sunday was off.

there was a good 'real sports' (hbo) show on the life of a college athlete. they biggest takeaway, while their are ncaa time limits (20 hours per week) there are so many exceptions: team meetings (yes, honest), travel, team meals, personal hygiene (showering)it basically only includes actual on field practice or game time.

but seriously how much studying is done during march madness?

That's why more than a few kids chose to play club hockey in college. Skate a couple times a week, miss a game if you're too busy, travel when you can and focus on your #1 priority.

My son passed on D-3 opportunities and a year or two of Jr.s to maybe, just maybe get a D-1 spot for club hockey. "Dad I have no idea how I would have time to study if I played real college hockey..."

ACHA Hockey is pretty organized - http://achahockey.org/view/achahockey

Any college sport where they are giving you money, whether a full boat or partial or even no money is extremely demanding. It requires sacrifices that the other students simply do not have to make. I played D1 college football/full boat/4 years, captain senior year and I got my degree. Also have friends and family members and now their kids who have played and coached D1, D2 and D3 college sports. The time involved is not that much different between them for the most part.

The kids who do well in the college environment (especially academically) are typically the ones who have always done well up to that point. If a kid struggled in school but is a great (any sport) player, and is good enough to make it to D1 they will still usually struggle with their academics in college too. They do not suddenly become good students.
However, most schools have counseling programs set up for athletes now in all sports to help them succeed. It's usually just a question of how much that student is willing to put into their academics as opposed to their sports and leisure/party scene. Which for the most part, those habits have already been established long before college comes into play.

Yes, the day is regimented, they pretty much own you every day from Mon - Fri 1pm -7pm or later some days. Game days are all day, and Sunday's are for film work for about 4 hours. Does your kid love that type of work? Is your kid independent? Does he work on his own and ask then you for more when he is done? Does he compete as hard in the classroom as he does on the ice/field? If so, then he will continue to thrive at whatever level his athletic talents take him.

Regardless you need to love the sport you play in order to continue. Not 'like the sport' but love it to the point you can't imagine living without it. In today's world an academic partial scholarship is much, much easier to obtain than an athletic one....no matter how low the kid's I.Q. is. So if the kid doesn't lie-breath the sport he should hit the books.

There is plenty of time to study and be a division 1 college hockey player. The players just need to have focus and have their priorities in order.

anon
There is plenty of time to study and be a division 1 college hockey player. The players just need to have focus and have their priorities in order.

And make sure they don't major in anything rigorous.

Playing college hockey isn't about academics--its about hockey. Otherwise how can you explain kids being so excited to commit to play at such academically mediocre schools? Excluding NU, BU and BC (and they're no Harvard), most of Hockey East schools admit upwards of 60% of their applicants (Maine is over 80%). These schools can't be that rigorous academically or very few of their regular students--let alone hockey players--would graduate. Sure, there are a few exceptions--the Ivies and a few of the other ECAC schools, Michigan, Notre Dame--but generally "hockey schools" are not great academic institutions. Of course, the same can be said about football (Alabama-50%) or basketball (Kentucky-70%) schools. Nobody's pretending those kids are going to school for the academics. Why should hockey be viewed any differently?

Well you're a little loose on what you declare to be a good school and as such you've missed more than a few.

anon
Playing college hockey isn't about academics--its about hockey. Otherwise how can you explain kids being so excited to commit to play at such academically mediocre schools? Excluding NU, BU and BC (and they're no Harvard), most of Hockey East schools admit upwards of 60% of their applicants (Maine is over 80%). These schools can't be that rigorous academically or very few of their regular students--let alone hockey players--would graduate. Sure, there are a few exceptions--the Ivies and a few of the other ECAC schools, Michigan, Notre Dame--but generally "hockey schools" are not great academic institutions. Of course, the same can be said about football (Alabama-50%) or basketball (Kentucky-70%) schools. Nobody's pretending those kids are going to school for the academics. Why should hockey be viewed any differently?

I think the OP was being sarcastic about the rigorous part.

A college degree from any school is still worth more in the long run than having no college degree.

I also think the OP meant that when you are playing college hockey or any other college sport for that matter, it's really hard to major in anything with any rigor. But those majors are usually the ones worth studying and will set you up in a much better career for the rest of your life after college. So do it anyway.

You may be underestimating how difficult college can be. A good portion of all entering students do not make it through their first year. A famous line during freshman orientation is, "take a look to your left, now take a look to your right, one of those people will not be here next year." Now add the 40-50 hours per week that your sport will demand of you, and college (at least the academic part) becomes almost a part-time endeavor, that the non-athlete gets to spend full time on.

If you are an average to poor student before you get to college (any college), and they still accept you based on your outstanding hockey skills, then yes, they will suggest that you study something that does not require too much brain power, so you put all your focus on your sport. Don't listen to them.

So if you are that good of a player, go straight to the CHL and forget college in the first place because you are missing the point of using your athletic prowess to assist you in attaining a degree. The school is for fools mentality is what leads these kids down the wrong path in the first place.

Being a D1 athlete, any sport, male or female, is more valued by future employers than what school or even GPA (within limits). Fact. it shows a proven commitment to excellence and inner drive that takes a lot of the risk out of the hiring process.

Some big companies hire elite athletes over ostensibly more qualified applicants to compete on their Corporate teams.

Anon
Being a D1 athlete, any sport, male or female, is more valued by future employers than what school or even GPA (within limits). Fact. it shows a proven commitment to excellence and inner drive that takes a lot of the risk out of the hiring process .

Some big companies hire elite athletes over ostensibly more qualified applicants to compete on their Corporate teams.

I imagine that would also be true for D-3 or even a kid who played CHL and then went back and got his college degree.

anon
Anon
Being a D1 athlete, any sport, male or female, is more valued by future employers than what school or even GPA (within limits). Fact. it shows a proven commitment to excellence and inner drive that takes a lot of the risk out of the hiring process .

I imagine that would also be true for D-3 or even a kid who played CHL and then went back and got his college degree.
Your point is valid about their having demonstrated the same skills, but not everyone knows those D3 schools, so it doesn't carry the same weight with hiring managers and HR execs. It should, but it doesn't.

I have two in college and I have to say your point about kids failing out is a bit off base. In our time it was a real possibility, today the schools do everything to not only keep the kids in but they also push to get them through in 4 years. This is 100% due to all of the college rankings and information flow that is now available. And for parents dropping a couple hundred grand on the 'college experience' these stats are very important in deciding which college to send your kid. My oldest is at a school where 99% return after freshmen year and 87% graduate in four years and no way did my school years ago come close to those #'s.

anon
I have two in college and I have to say your point about kids failing out is a bit off base. In our time it was a real possibility, today the schools do everything to not only keep the kids in but they also push to get them through in 4 years. This is 100% due to all of the college rankings and information flow that is now available. And for parents dropping a couple hundred grand on the 'college experience' these stats are very important in deciding which college to send your kid. My oldest is at a school where 99% return after freshmen year and 87% graduate in four years and no way did my school years ago come close to those #'s.

I.e., grade inflation is rampant. Why graduate degrees are the new litmus test for many careers.

anon
anon

I.e., grade inflation is rampant. Why graduate degrees are the new litmus test for many careers.

and there is a huge difference between --- sports management, marketing and say chemical engineer.

beatcuff
anon
anon

and there is a huge difference between --- sports management, marketing and say chemical engineer.

Almost all BC players are in the School of Management, but then none of its top players expect to spend 4 years in Chestnut Hill.

anon
Just wondering what life is like as a college hockey player insofar as actually being a student is concerned? Specifically, I guess, my question is are college hockey players able to really focus on their studies or does hockey take up pretty much all of their time?

Played D1 in the 90's, and it consumes you. Back then everything revolved around team meetings, team skates, team workouts, team dinners, etc..Some of us did summer courses so that we could focus on hockey the rest of the year. Some left to live the dream and went back a few years later to graduate, some realized earlier (Junior year) that they had to get an education because hockey wasn't going to pay the bills, and some are now hard laborers because they couldn't figure it before it was too late.
With all that being said, not one of us would ever trade that time for anything! Good Luck!

Total opposite experience. Also played D1 four years at an elite academic school. Hockey was intensive, but because all there was was going to school, socializing and hockey, and not actually working for a living, there was plenty of time to study and do great academically. I remember long road trips all the time where there was ample time to read books and study, and not being preoccupied with partying at every available opportunity, i spent many nights in the libraries or dorm room studying, including weekends. It's about discipline. Some kids have it, others don't. It's not like you're playing hockey and going to team meetings 24/7.