High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Local boys - Quebec Major Junior Hockey League draft

Anon
anon
The question was whether, if the price of American college was in line with the price of Canadian colleges, you would be more likely to send your kid to the CHL? To put it another way, how much does the high price of college influence your emphasis on a kid playing college hockey rather than CHL?

Again, show me a list of American kids who played in the Q, and now go to a canadian college? You would be hard pressed to find anyone, so your above arguement is a moot point, it's a scenario that doesn't exist.

It's a hypothetical question, which I'll try to state more clearly for you--if college in the US was as cheap as college in Canada, would you be more likely to let your kid play in the Q? It has nothing to do with kids going to the Q now and going to Canadian university afterwards.

Let me give you an example: suppose UVM was $10,000 per year for tuition, room and board (instead of $50k), the same as McGill. Your son has the opportunity to play for the Quebec Remperts for 4 years and receive $40k (4 x $10k per year) of educational assistance when he goes to UVM afterwards or he can go to UVM now on a 4 for 4 deal and play hockey. Under both of these scenarios, the net cost of college is $0. Since there is no cost difference anymore, would you be more likely to let your kid play in the Q?

As it is now, with UVM costing upwards of $50k per year for out of staters, the net cost of playing for the Remperts and then going to UVM would be $160,000 ((4x $50k) - (4 x $10k)) so clearly it makes more sense, from a cost basis, to play college hockey.

Once again, this is a HYPOTHETICAL question. Think outside the box.

McGill 4500-6500 for Canadians plus living costs, add another 3-6k

Anon
McGill 4500-6500 for Canadians plus living costs, add another 3-6k

McGill? One of top 25 schools in the world? I'd rather send my kid to Merrimack on a 2 for 4 and have him be a phys ed major and play Hockey East. Only an idiot would send their kid to Canada.

I don't know. Merrimack is a long way from my house and I hear the people up that way are difficult to deal with and the food isn't any good. I myself have never been outside of 495 so I'm not really sure but that's what I've heard from people here in Southie.

You're kidding, right? Merrimack over McGill?

anon
I don't know. Merrimack is a long way from my house and I hear the people up that way are difficult to deal with and the food isn't any good. I myself have never been outside of 495 so I'm not really sure but that's what I've heard from people here in Southie.

You're kidding, right? Merrimack over McGill?

Of course I am.

Really we have 2 Ryan Leonards in Western Mass huh? The next RL may be better!

Do these players lose their ncaa eligibility? Confused by this process.

Yes, it's vewed as professional Jr. Hockey.