Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Central Catholic Coach Steps Down -

Any update on new coach?

from the tribune yesterday:

Central Catholic hires longtime assistant Brandvold as new boys hockey coach

LAWRENCE — In search of a coach to replace the man that turned Central Catholic hockey into a powerhouse, the Raiders found the perfect match in someone already well entrenched in the school’s hockey tradition.
Longtime Central assistant coach Kim Brandvold had been hired as the new Raiders head boys hockey coach, the school announced on Wednesday.
“I’m thrilled to get the job,” said Brandvold, who spent the last eight years as a Raiders assistant. “I’ve been a part of this program and community for a long time and I’m excited to keep the traditions and success of this program moving forward. I love coaching at Central Catholic.”
Brandvold, the Boston Bruins skating and skills coach, replaces Mike Jankowski, who stepped down in April after 15 years and 204 victories.
“I knew as soon as Mike stepped down that I wanted to put my name in for the job,” said the 34-year-old Brandvold. “I had my last interview the other day and found out (Wednesday) morning that I got the job. My goal is to make playing at Central a great experience for the kids and keep the success on the ice going.”
Athletic director Ernie DiFiore said he feels Brandvold is a perfect fit for the job.
“Kim has been with us for eight years and has shown himself to be a terrific coach and a great person,” said DiFiore. “His hockey IQ is terrific, he is focused and energetic and he is excellent with the kids. He has all the qualities we were looking for in a coach.”
A native of Oslo, Norway, Brandvold did not move to America until he was recruited to play hockey for UMass Lowell. While learning English — his first language is Norwegian — he spent four years as a defenseman for the River Hawks.
After three seasons of minor league hockey, Brandvold returned to the Merrimack Valley to teach hockey skills. That’s when he first met Jankowski.
“I met Mike while I was running a training facility in North Andover and we just hit it off,” said Brandvold, who lives in Dracut. “He asked me to come on as volunteer coach, and I did that for two years before being hired. Every year Mike gave me more to do and I learned so much from him every season.”

beatcuff
from the tribune yesterday:

Central Catholic hires longtime assistant Brandvold as new boys hockey coach

LAWRENCE — In search of a coach to replace the man that turned Central Catholic hockey into a powerhouse, the Raiders found the perfect match in someone already well entrenched in the school’s hockey tradition.
Longtime Central assistant coach Kim Brandvold had been hired as the new Raiders head boys hockey coach, the school announced on Wednesday.
“I’m thrilled to get the job,” said Brandvold, who spent the last eight years as a Raiders assistant. “I’ve been a part of this program and community for a long time and I’m excited to keep the traditions and success of this program moving forward. I love coaching at Central Catholic.”
Brandvold, the Boston Bruins skating and skills coach, replaces Mike Jankowski, who stepped down in April after 15 years and 204 victories.
“I knew as soon as Mike stepped down that I wanted to put my name in for the job,” said the 34-year-old Brandvold. “I had my last interview the other day and found out (Wednesday) morning that I got the job. My goal is to make playing at Central a great experience for the kids and keep the success on the ice going.”
Athletic director Ernie DiFiore said he feels Brandvold is a perfect fit for the job.
“Kim has been with us for eight years and has shown himself to be a terrific coach and a great person,” said DiFiore. “His hockey IQ is terrific, he is focused and energetic and he is excellent with the kids. He has all the qualities we were looking for in a coach.”
A native of Oslo, Norway, Brandvold did not move to America until he was recruited to play hockey for UMass Lowell. While learning English — his first language is Norwegian — he spent four years as a defenseman for the River Hawks.
After three seasons of minor league hockey, Brandvold returned to the Merrimack Valley to teach hockey skills. That’s when he first met Jankowski.
“I met Mike while I was running a training facility in North Andover and we just hit it off,” said Brandvold, who lives in Dracut. “He asked me to come on as volunteer coach, and I did that for two years before being hired. Every year Mike gave me more to do and I learned so much from him every season.”

Great Replacement for a Great Coach!

Both great hockey people and people in general. KB will continue bringing in good players ( kids) and continue and maybe build on what MJ was able to create. I wish them well!

Does that mean coaches kid is first line center. After all he was second line center last year out every other shift. Half the team left anyway. Great job coaches