The Official New England Ice Hockey DBoard 

Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Why can't we have the same High School Model as Minnesota?

USHL has a tremendous competitive advantage over other junior leagues because of the NCAA ties. It will continue to grow and eventually dominate North American junior hockey. CHL will still be good, especially Ontario but QMJHL is really struggling. More kids/families will want to keep college options open and so USHL will be the only option.

anon
USHL has a tremendous competitive advantage over other junior leagues because of the NCAA ties. It will continue to grow and eventually dominate North American junior hockey. CHL will still be good, especially Ontario but QMJHL is really struggling. More kids/families will want to keep college options open and so USHL will be the only option.

Why do you say the Q is "struggling"? It may not be as dominant as it once was but, from a region that has a total population that is approximately half of the New York metropolitan area's, it still produced almost the same number of total NHL picks as the USHL over the past 5 years--If you exclude the NTDP kids from the USHL numbers, its not even close in the Q's favor. Further, players in the CHL all retain eligibility to play Canadian college hockey. Very few top Canadian players bypass the CHL--even the Q--to play US college hockey. Personally, I'd rather have my kid play in the Q, then play college at one of the top Canadian universities (McGill, U of Toronto) than have him play for most of the Hockey East schools, from an educational perspective. Canadian college hockey rosters have numerous ex-CHL players.

IMO, the only thing keeping the USHL alive is the NCAA's prohibition on eligibility for CHL players. What do you think will happen to the USHL once the NCAA permits athletes to be paid, which is certainly the slippery slope it appears to be on with respect to football at least? Wouldn't you rather drive a few hours North to watch your kid play than have to travel across half the country?

At least when I spend 3 hours flying out to the midwest (instead of driving 6-7 hours) they speak English.

anon
At least when I spend 3 hours flying out to the midwest (instead of driving 6-7 hours) they speak English.

Haven't spent much time in Quebec, eh? Their kids actually learn to speak a foreign language--English--unlike ours. Oh, and good luck with 3 hours to Fargo, ND or Omaha, NE .

Q is struggling, down from it's peak. USHL is on rise and you can't exclude USNTDP just to make your point because they are in the USHL. I'm not a fan of NTDP but it exists and if it didn't, those players would be in the league somewhere. As I said, USHL's rise is exclusively based upon it's NCAA path. If that didn't exist, it would be far behind CHL.

As for playing college hockey in Canada over USA, we all know your lying your ass off but if not, good luck with that.

anon
Q is struggling, down from it's peak. USHL is on rise and you can't exclude USNTDP just to make your point because they are in the USHL. I'm not a fan of NTDP but it exists and if it didn't, those players would be in the league somewhere. As I said, USHL's rise is exclusively based upon it's NCAA path. If that didn't exist, it would be far behind CHL.

As for playing college hockey in Canada over USA, we all know your lying your ass off but if not, good luck with that.

College hockey is better in the US than Canada. Education is comparable and more affordable ( in some instances). The direction our country is heading might not be a bad idea. I do believe a college education in Canada allows you a quicker ( if not guaranteed ) path to citizenship.

anon
. As for playing college hockey in Canada over USA, we all know your lying your ass off but if not, good luck with that.

If my son didn't get an offer from a US school that he really wanted to attend I would have no second thoughts about letting him play in the Q and then either attending college and playing college hockey in Canada or attending a US school he did want to attend and not playing hockey. Hockey has to end someday and sending him to a US school that isn't the best fit just so he can keep playing hockey doesn't make much sense to me.

Insofar as NTDP players are concerned, even with them included, the numbers produced by the Q and the USHL are comparable. The Q draws from 10 mm people. The USHL draws from more than 300 mm. Maybe we could learn something from their system.

Yes, the applicant pool is 300M which includes my grandma and aunt Trudy.

Have fun in Quebec. I'm sure it will be great.

anon

I bet the number of registered youth players in each country is comparable. If anything, Canada might have more. The entire country is a hotbed, compared to US, where two regions are

Anon
anon

I bet the number of registered youth players in each country is comparable. If anything, Canada might have more. The entire country is a hotbed, compared to US, where two regions are

The number of registered youth players in both countries is comparable--but the Q's territory comprises less than 1/3 of Canada's total population. For the Q to produce similar numbers as the USHL--including NTDP players--is impressive. And the Q's territory includes and lot of Grandmas and Aunts too.

anon
Anon
anon

The number of registered youth players in both countries is comparable--but the Q's territory comprises less than 1/3 of Canada's total population. For the Q to produce similar numbers as the USHL--including NTDP players--is impressive. And the Q's territory includes and lot of Grandmas and Aunts too.

I think we have gotten off topic. All Good though.

Why is MN HS model more successful than Massachusetts? More recently, How do US and Canada's Youth participation numbers compare?

All good stuff though

Anon
anon
Anon
anon

I think we have gotten off topic. All Good though.

Why is MN HS model more successful than Massachusetts? More recently, How do US and Canada's Youth participation numbers compare?

All good stuff though

NHL players are a lot bigger than they used to be. MN has bigger people than MA. Same goes for Ontario vs Quebec.

http://www.letsplayhockey.com/online-edition/news/3097-community-based-model-at-core-of-minnesota-hockey-s-mission.html Good article on this topic.

My personal opinion? MN still has a "community first" mentality when it comes to their towns/schools and those who live within them/play for them. All the way down to the Grandma down the street who hasn't had a kid play on the local high school team in over 50 years. She still follows the team and attends games. Here? Not happening. Once the kids are out of high school the parental interest in the team drops and they no longer attend games. MN has generations of family's attending, including family's who don't have players. The town pride is strong. Whereas here in MA you have the majority of folks who think keeping up with the Jones' is more important than community pride, they think being able to say their kid attends a prep school is more important than being a part of their community. They think playing for their local high school team is "beneath" them and not nearly good enough for their little Johnny.

Anon
My personal opinion? MN still has a "community first" mentality when it comes to their towns/schools and those who live within them/play for them. All the way down to the Grandma down the street who hasn't had a kid play on the local high school team in over 50 years. She still follows the team and attends games. Here? Not happening. Once the kids are out of high school the parental interest in the team drops and they no longer attend games. MN has generations of family's attending, including family's who don't have players. The town pride is strong. Whereas here in MA you have the majority of folks who think keeping up with the Jones' is more important than community pride, they think being able to say their kid attends a prep school is more important than being a part of their community. They think playing for their local high school team is "beneath" them and not nearly good enough for their little Johnny.
Spend a lot of time in MN do you?

Is prep school an option there?

WAY more people send their kids to prep schools for the educational advantage than because of hockey, or any sport for that matter. At my son's school, there are more people there for the arts than for the hockey. And it's a jock school that recruits internationally for hockey.

Residents of this area should be extremely proud of the educational choices offered, as it is unmatched anywhere in the world. Primary, secondary, college, post-graduate. Unparalleled.

And, those Grandmas that you speak of do still attend games - prep school games. They're just alums instead of former parents.

But hey, if it isn't for you, move. Sounds like a wonderful place. Do they have cable yet?

Don't forget your woolies.

Anon
Anon
Spend a lot of time in MN do you?

Is prep school an option there?

WAY more people send their kids to prep schools for the educational advantage than because of hockey, or any sport for that matter. At my son's school, there are more people there for the arts than for the hockey. And it's a jock school that recruits internationally for hockey.

Residents of this area should be extremely proud of the educational choices offered, as it is unmatched anywhere in the world. Primary, secondary, college, post-graduate. Unparalleled.

And, those Grandmas that you speak of do still attend games - prep school games. They're just alums instead of former parents.

But hey, if it isn't for you, move. Sounds like a wonderful place. Do they have cable yet?

Don't forget your woolies.

Prep schools are a totem! False pride, plain and simple!

Anon
Hmmm, totem doesn't sound right. Token, maybe? Closer, but still not quite right.

The better word is artifice.

You're welcome.

Anon
Anon
Hmmm, totem doesn't sound right. Token, maybe? Closer, but still not quite right.

The better word is artifice.

You're welcome.

No, I meant totem -

Definition; A totem (Ojibwe dodaem) is a spirit being, sacred object, or symbol that serves as an emblem of a group of people, such as a family, clan, lineage, or tribe.

Anon

Bingo! So true! It really is more cultural than anything. I bet their D Board is way more constructive and gentile, Mass Wholes!!