Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Town to high school

Like one of the midget teams that played in the SSC that went undefeated for 2 years. Townies were all upset when only a few made varsity and they only saw the ice in garbage time.

anon
If I hear one more town hockey parent say - "what we need is to keep all of these kids in town hockey on the same team so they get use to playing together..." - I am going to throat-puch someone. What, so now you have 25 kids that can't play but at least they are familiar with the other kids that can't play??? Yeah you go from the South Shore Conference split season midget to the Super 8 and oh yeah, seemless.

Your statement confuses me. How many people have you really heard say this? It wouldn't be anyone who is sending their kids to catholic school because those kids come from many different programs. It is also generally understood that any top, public D1 high school (like Hingham) is going to use mostly kids from select teams for their varsity program. Sounds like your just looking for a chance to dump on town hockey parents for some reason.

Funny you should mention the town but you hit it right on the head! Yup there are Townies that say that...and with "just think how good our teams would be if they all stayed in Town Hockey." Winner, winner chicken dinner.

Isn't that the town that the coaches sent out an email a few years ago saying "you have to move on and play more competitive hockey if you expect to make varsity"???

anon
Funny you should mention the town but you hit it right on the head! Yup there are Townies that say that...and with "just think how good our teams would be if they all stayed in Town Hockey." Winner, winner chicken dinner.

Isn't that the town that the coaches sent out an email a few years ago saying "you have to move on and play more competitive hockey if you expect to make varsity"???

I can't picture too many people in Hingham being that clueless thinking town hockey is going to get their kid to Hingham H.S. varsity. Hingham's youth hockey is quite a large program so only the best would have a chance. Throw in the fact that BA resides within the town, the Breakers and Terriers are nearby and money is in no short supply and I would guess most of those kids make the jump to select at a pretty early age.

If there are any town only players on Hingham's varsity team it can't be many.

I think a couple make it each year and they don't see much ice...if any.

anon
Their odds of seeing ice are improving, because the better players are leaving to go to CC, Prep or full season.

Publics are in trouble. Someone said it in another thread, MIAA thinks it's still 1985. They need to get in the DeLorean and go see what it will be if they don't start changing their thinking.

Anon
anon
Their odds of seeing ice are improving, because the better players are leaving to go to CC, Prep or full season.

Publics are in trouble. Someone said it in another thread, MIAA thinks it's still 1985. They need to get in the DeLorean and go see what it will be if they don't start changing their thinking.

Change their thinking on what? The MIAA philosophy on high school hockey doesn't have any affect on why or where kids are playing (Prep, CC, or Full Season), as more and more kids leave the Public teams, high schools are going to figure out it makes no sense to carry and fund a program, huge money saver I would suspect will be thinking of many school committees.

I think he was referring to the C.C. schools digging deeper to land kids and many are coming out of publics. Looks is 2016, the Super 8 is a C.C. tournament and to think a bunch of kids coming out of one ZIP Code can compete with a fully recruited team from 12 - 15 different towns is naive and living in another time.

Anon
Anon
anon

Change their thinking on what? The MIAA philosophy on high school hockey doesn't have any affect on why or where kids are playing (Prep, CC, or Full Season), as more and more kids leave the Public teams, high schools are going to figure out it makes no sense to carry and fund a program, huge money saver I would suspect will be thinking of many school committees.

Totally disagree. Public high schools don't build their teams with the specific intention of preparing kids for post-high school hockey. The goal for most local high school programs is to find the best group available to represent the school and community. If some of the best players move on to prep, CC, full season, etc. it will simply open the door for the next level of players who might not have gotten the opportunity previously. As long as they can field a full squad, regardless of talent and the friends and family of those players support the team nobody will be dropping their programs.