The Official New England Ice Hockey DBoard 

Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: D-I Champs or Super 8 Road Kill ????

And 'Super 8' stands for 'Super Ate' as in being just a snack for the regional all star teams to mop the floor with your public team.

anon
Hingham lived this the last 2 years and it seems like most people in town would choose the D-1 champs route--where "D" stands for delusional.

It hasn't been that long since Hingham actually won the Super 8. What's changed since then?

The Catholic schools are recruiting more and find a way to move kids on post high school and the publics are just able to watch the gap widen.

anon
anon
Hingham lived this the last 2 years and it seems like most people in town would choose the D-1 champs route--where "D" stands for delusional.

It hasn't been that long since Hingham actually won the Super 8. What's changed since then?

Hingham winning was a complete fluke. Was a result of players coming back from other schools. Unlikely to ever happen again.

The D-1 title is really just 9th best in the state...that's quite an accomplishment...not!

Really it should mean #1 public or #1 non-regional all-star team in the state.

For a D-3 school like Hingham with 500 boy students or Reading with 600 boy students from one town to think they are going to compete against a D-1 all boys school like B.C. High with 1,500 boys with regionally recruited hockey players is laughable. If anyone took an objective eye to this situation they would never let it continue.

trying to answer the question: can we stipulate the likelihood of a 'town' HS winning the super 8 is (very) rare but has happened (Hingham in 2010), therefore could again. and all coaches, ad's, administrators and fans know the Catholics have an advantage, an advantage few towns can overcome. btw these same persons take great pleasure in defeating a decent Catholic team even during the regular season.

my hierarchy is: beating your rival, being ranked, make the tournament, win the division, win a tournament game, advancing to the final round, win a state title, be invited to the super 8, advancing, winning.

therefore if i have a team that is invited to the super 8 and have already won a state title (after 5 years i may waiver) i will accept the invitation. yes even with the likelihood of being crushed. otherwise i will pass.

my hierarchy is:

beating your rival,
being ranked,
make the tournament,
win the division,
being invited to the super 8 and getting blown-out in the first round
advancing to the final round of D-1
advancing in the Super 8
win the D-1 state title,
win the Super 8

Just me

Anon
The D-1 title is really just 9th best in the state...that's quite an accomplishment...not!

I'd throw the D-I winner in there at about 4,5 or 6 most years and not 9. I think the final polls like The Boston Globe puts them there as well.

Anon
Anon

I'd throw the D-I winner in there at about 4,5 or 6 most years and not 9. I think the final polls like The Boston Globe puts them there as well.

"We're #5!!"" yay. Anyone ever watch Hoosiers? The beauty of a state tournament comes from the possibility of upsets. Hingham had a chance last season, but failed miserably. Without great coaching Hickory would have failed. Hockey is no different. The US beat USSR because Herb Brooks outcoached Viktor Tikhonov. A better coach could have at least made Hingham competitive. Whining about the other guys recruiting is just a quitter's mentality.

I'm not sure if Herb Brooks can take a handful of kids that can play and upset these C.C. teams with 20 kids that can play. Maybe for a game but for a full tourney as a low seed (plus a play-in) it's highly unlikely. The frequent complaint is the system they play is outdated with an emphasis placed on giving up the puck (chipping the puck out / dumping the puck) while these kids are coming to the program having played more current puck possession style of play. What I've seen in the last few years, and I've been out to watch their games and some of their players, is they no longer lean on a just few kids. I think they have seen the negative impact of having too much faith in a few kids and they are playing more of them. The days of playing three defensemen in C.C. games are over, even if some of the kids aren't ready.

Scout
I'm not sure if Herb Brooks can take a handful of kids that can play and upset these C.C. teams with 20 kids that can play. Maybe for a game but for a full tourney as a low seed (plus a play-in) it's highly unlikely. The frequent complaint is the system they play is outdated with an emphasis placed on giving up the puck (chipping the puck out / dumping the puck) while these kids are coming to the program having played more current puck possession style of play. What I've seen in the last few years, and I've been out to watch their games and some of their players, is they no longer lean on a just few kids. I think they have seen the negative impact of having too much faith in a few kids and they are playing more of them. The days of playing three defensemen in C.C. games are over, even if some of the kids aren't ready.

It will be very difficult for a public to beat the Catholics going forward. But its not impossible. The way to beat Superstar teams is to out-coach and out-work them. That's what Herb Brooks did against the Soviets, a far more formidable foe than any of the Catholics. Hingham was in the Super 8 this year and didn't even pretend to prepare to play PF--they were done before they started. A better coach could have made a difference.

anon
Scout

It will be very difficult for a public to beat the Catholics going forward. But its not impossible. The way to beat Superstar teams is to out-coach and out-work them. That's what Herb Brooks did against the Soviets, a far more formidable foe than any of the Catholics. Hingham was in the Super 8 this year and didn't even pretend to prepare to play PF--they were done before they started. A better coach could have made a difference.

That's like saying you could give Belichick this year's Cleveland Browns team and he could potentially beat the '85 Bears. Sometimes talent wins out and all the coaching in the world won't make a difference.

Anon
anon
Scout

That's like saying you could give Belichick this year's Cleveland Browns team and he could potentially beat the '85 Bears. Sometimes talent wins out and all the coaching in the world won't make a difference.

That's like saying you could take a bunch of college kids and beat the best hockey team ever assembled. Oh, yeah..

And I think if I were a good hockey player living in eastern Mass and I was not up for going prep, why wouldn't I go to a school like MC, AP or BCH and have a chance to win it all? And the coaches work at getting the kids junior and college looks so why would I go? Heck I think there are a few Hingham kids every year that go to BCH and I'd guess it isn't for the academics.

anon
And I think if I were a good hockey player living in eastern Mass and I was not up for going prep, why wouldn't I go to a school like MC, AP or BCH and have a chance to win it all? And the coaches work at getting the kids junior and college looks so why would I go? Heck I think there are a few Hingham kids every year that go to BCH and I'd guess it isn't for the academics.

As far as I know there aren't any Hingham kids playing varsity hockey at any Catholic, let alone BCH. No doubt if the Hingham coaches actually coached and played kids based on skill, not seniority they would probably retain at least a few of the kids who leave for (or go directly to) prep or club every year.

I don't know about the seniority thing. Too many underclassmen get run over in D-1 / C.C. hockey, just look at how much time they gave the NHL'er's kid and it was nothing short of a disaster. Good little player but he wasn't ready for more than a few shifts per game - hardly worth building the whole backend around the little guy. A couple years ago T.D. was a local that went to BCH and he parlayed it into a spot at Tufts and the standing joke around h.s. hockey is he wouldn't have gotten a shift had he stayed and somehow the BCH coaches got him a spot at Tufts. They just need to do more to move kids along.

Not sure, but didn't Reading win one year?

2007 - 2008

Finals
Year Winner
2015-16 Malden Catholic
2014–15 St. John's Prep
2013–14 Malden Catholic
2012–13 Malden Catholic
2011–12 Malden Catholic
2010–11 Malden Catholic
2009–10 Hingham
2008–09 Catholic Memorial
2007–08 Reading
2006–07 BC High
2005–06 BC High
2004–05 Catholic Memorial
2003–04 Catholic Memorial
2002–03 Catholic Memorial
2001–02 BC High
2000–01 Catholic Memorial
1999–00 Catholic Memorial
1998–99 Catholic Memorial
1997–98 Catholic Memorial
1996–97 Arlington Catholic
1995–96 BC High
1994–95 Catholic Memorial
1993–94 Catholic Memorial
1992–93 Catholic Memorial
1991–92 Catholic Memorial
1990–91 Catholic Memorial

Franklin was way overdue to win something . They lost3 years straight in the Garden. Congrats!! HS hockey watered down beyond belief now.They do a bring a great crowd to every game!

Nice Super 8 champs list. So apart from Reading and Hingham winning within the past decade, there are only four or five Catholic teams that have ever won the Super8. At least these publics have won the title, more than many of the other Catholic teams that never have. Maybe it should just be the Super 3 or Super4.