The Official New England Ice Hockey DBoard 

Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: New to the prep school process - now what?

anon
Some coaches get out and scout, few have the time to take in all that much so they leverage tournaments, giving talks to AAA teams that coaches set up for them, or simply emailing coaches for contacts of good players who might be seeking Prep as an option.

Don't get all that giddy or disappointed if your kid has or has not been recruited. It's not college and there are no scholarships. These schools have college like campuses with very small student bodies so they need kids to pay tuition. They have their formulas for the mix of kids that pay full v. get need based aid so if you think a headmaster is going to go before their BOD saying he has blown the FA budget on hockey players to eek out a few more wins your crazy.

not sure what prompted the above explanations as no one on this thread was giddy or panicky - but thanks.

I can give you this advice from the few kids I have coached that have gone onto private HS or preps. 99% of the conversations went exactly like this

School/Coach: "would your kid be interested in coming to _________ to play hockey ? "

Parents: "yes, but we cant afford that for high school !"

School/Coach: "well, what do you think you could afford ? "

Parents " Probably around(insert low ball offer here) or we were paying $4000 for private middle school "

School/Coach: "SO you would play for 4k ?"

Parents: "Sure"

School/Coach : "He's in"

Parents to each other: "****, we should have said 2k"

Anon
I can give you this advice from the few kids I have coached that have gone onto private HS or preps. 99% of the conversations went exactly like this

School/Coach: "would your kid be interested in coming to _________ to play hockey ? "

Parents: "yes, but we cant afford that for high school !"

School/Coach: "well, what do you think you could afford ? "

Parents " Probably around(insert low ball offer here) or we were paying $4000 for private middle school "

School/Coach: "SO you would play for 4k ?"

Parents: "Sure"

School/Coach : "He's in"

Parents to each other: "****, we should have said 2k"

Even the selects schools with huge endowments are not going to throw around financial aid like that. Yes, they will give deep discounts to some kids and almost free rides to other exceptional candidates , but certainly not so brazenly or at the coaches discretion