Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Preseason Top 20

BC High lost too much talent and there's not much replacing it. At best 5 or 6. If AP's juniors all stayed (not sure) they could compete for Super 8 title. Otherwise MC again. Reading will be best of publics. Overall North Shore publics better than South Shore. No real studs anywhere on South Shore.

I love that screwball original poster trying to sneak D2 teams in the top 20? Westwood, Medfield and Medway? Medway has a hockey program?

Anon
I love that screwball original poster trying to sneak D2 teams in the top 20? Westwood, Medfield and Medway? Medway has a hockey program?

Don't have a dog in this fight, but why can't a D2 team be in the top 20? Excluding CC teams, all you need is one line in public school hockey to be very competitive.

Anon

Did you watch the games last season? Some of those D2 teams could compete. Maybe not win, but there were some way better than some of the D1 teams I saw.

Anon
BC High lost too much talent and there's not much replacing it. At best 5 or 6. If AP's juniors all stayed (not sure) they could compete for Super 8 title. Otherwise MC again. Reading will be best of publics. Overall North Shore publics better than South Shore. No real studs anywhere on South Shore.

Not too sure about the analysis but I see a strong north shore bias. BCH works the rinks hard for kids so it's always interesting what they bring in. So far they seem better at recruiting than coaching from the bench. They lost some upfront but the D-man they lost prep is certainly replaceable as his game has a long way to go. AP and MC should be in the hunt / top final 4 and Reading will be O.K. but Hingham and Braintree might just be better. The south shore has as always a handful of very good players but for a public it's about depth and keeping top-end players and some schools always re-load.

anon
Anon

Not too sure about the analysis but I see a strong north shore bias. BCH works the rinks hard for kids so it's always interesting what they bring in. So far they seem better at recruiting than coaching from the bench. They lost some upfront but the D-man they lost prep is certainly replaceable as his game has a long way to go. AP and MC should be in the hunt / top final 4 and Reading will be O.K. but Hingham and Braintree might just be better. The south shore has as always a handful of very good players but for a public it's about depth and keeping top-end players and some schools always re-load.

Hingham lost is best player by far--it's goalie--and this year's replacement is a JV player with no varsity experience. They won't be back in the Super 8.

Anon
anon
Anon

Hingham lost is best player by far--it's goalie--and this year's replacement is a JV player with no varsity experience. They won't be back in the Super 8.

I'm not too sure if you can write off their incoming goalie as I think he's played for BA and some of those teams and competition are better than 98% of public & C.C. teams. Also it will depend on the other players they can lure in from BA so no one will know until Thanksgiving who decides to play.

anon
Anon
anon
Anon

I'm not too sure if you can write off their incoming goalie as I think he's played for BA and some of those teams and competition are better than 98% of public & C.C. teams. Also it will depend on the other players they can lure in from BA so no one will know until Thanksgiving who decides to play.
Always wondered about the dynamic between TL and the area HS coaches. Do they have some sort of handshake agreement that the kids form Hingham, Braintree, Hanover etc can play 1st half for the BA full season teams and then TL won't stand in their way if they want to play for their HS? Or does TL tend to hang onto players?

Anon
anon
Anon
anon
Anon

Always wondered about the dynamic between TL and the area HS coaches. Do they have some sort of handshake agreement that the kids form Hingham, Braintree, Hanover etc can play 1st half for the BA full season teams and then TL won't stand in their way if they want to play for their HS? Or does TL tend to hang onto players?

The kids playing BA full season stay there. The kids that go back to HS play BA split season. Its wishful thinking that any kid playing full season BA is going to come back and help those schools.

That's correct, they play split season and the season gets over before the high school season starts. Typically (but not always) if the kid has an O.K. high school team they try to make the local team as a freshmen and stay until sophomore and then move on to full season. Ironic because most early commits these days at least for quality forwards is at the U-16 level. Defensemen need to have grown (usually) before they get the commit.

The funny thing that I've picked up on over the years is when these kids who have skated for an outside program for 7-8-9 years and then show some potential after playing a season or two for the high school and go back to their program's full season team at 17 the high school coaches and fans claim the programs have 'stolen' their high school players! When in fact they created them!

anon
That's correct, they play split season and the season gets over before the high school season starts. Typically (but not always) if the kid has an O.K. high school team they try to make the local team as a freshmen and stay until sophomore and then move on to full season. Ironic because most early commits these days at least for quality forwards is at the U-16 level. Defensemen need to have grown (usually) before they get the commit.

The funny thing that I've picked up on over the years is when these kids who have skated for an outside program for 7-8-9 years and then show some potential after playing a season or two for the high school and go back to their program's full season team at 17 the high school coaches and fans claim the programs have 'stolen' their high school players! When in fact they created them!
Umm, yeah, that's why they call it half season. Think I got that part.

So the post that talked about "luring kids" from BA was talking out of his hat? If they're half season they always intended to play for their school.

Yeah for that season, but who is to say what the kid elects to do the following season. Play split season and go to your H.S. for your freshmen year see if you like it, see if the hockey is for you (too hard / too easy), see if you like the coaches and the schedule (early morning practices followed by a full school day) and then you have the next three years to go back to a full season team.

anon
Yeah for that season, but who is to say what the kid elects to do the following season. Play split season and go to your H.S. for your freshmen year see if you like it, see if the hockey is for you (too hard / too easy), see if you like the coaches and the schedule (early morning practices followed by a full school day) and then you have the next three years to go back to a full season team.
I'm sorry, who asked that question?

If your kid can make Varsity as a freshman and get decent minutes to be able to decide if you like it, his school team sucks and he should have stayed Full Season. Wasted a critical year of development. No way you're making BA Full Season if your most recent competition was for a bad HS team. T1EHL teams will chew you up.

Anon
anon

If your kid can make Varsity as a freshman and get decent minutes to be able to decide if you like it, his school team sucks and he should have stayed Full Season. Wasted a critical year of development. No way you're making BA Full Season if your most recent competition was for a bad HS team. T1EHL teams will chew you up.

anon
1 Boston College HS
2 Pope Francis HS
3 Malden Catholic HS
4 St Johns Prep
5 Austin Prep
6 Braintree HS
7 Arlington Catholic HS
8 Reading HS
9 Hingham HS
10 Franklin HS
11 St Marys Lynn HS
12 Burlington HS
13 Arlington HS
14 Central Catholic HS
15 Duxbury HS
16 Catholic Memorial HS
17 Marshfield
18 Chelmsford HS
19 Archbishop Williams HS
20 Winchester HS

Franklin no chance on this list. Pulled magic out of the hat last year after losing 20+ seniors, cannot do it again losing another 10 - 15 more.

Im from north shore so I do not know much about south shore hockey. I do know that burlington and arlington will be the best two public teams from north. Arlington did not lose many good players and Burlington has a decent group. Reading will not be good. They lost their three stars, their goalie and the two forwards. One went to prep, one went to full season, and one was lost to lax. As for woburn and winchester, they both lost a lot. Winchester lost goalie and Woburn lost talented junior class to prep and seniors. It will be an off year for the ML this year

Knock AP out of top 10.
Defenseman all left, nothing coming up and forwards are all to small.

Anon
Knock AP out of top 10.
Defenseman all left, nothing coming up and forwards are all to small.

Goalie is very good ( and seasoned) and they have a lot of young talent. They should be good.

Every year you see the same names on this list at the beginning of the year and every year there are "sleeper" teams that make it in.
On a whole, north and south are down this year for division1. I think you will wee some sleepers in here from division 2. Agreed, Middlesex league is down this year. There were a few coaching changes that may impact not just that league, but the list as a whole.

Does anyone want to go out on a limb with some far outs?

That's tough to do. I think Canton should be more successful in D2. I think Natick will drop a bit in D1. I think Hingham will start to climb again, but none of this would be a surprise.

Anon
anon
1 Boston College HS
2 Pope Francis HS
3 Malden Catholic HS
4 St Johns Prep
5 Austin Prep
6 Braintree HS
7 Arlington Catholic HS
8 Reading HS
9 Hingham HS
10 Franklin HS
11 St Marys Lynn HS
12 Burlington HS
13 Arlington HS
14 Central Catholic HS
15 Duxbury HS
16 Catholic Memorial HS
17 Marshfield
18 Chelmsford HS
19 Archbishop Williams HS
20 Winchester HS

Franklin no chance on this list. Pulled magic out of the hat last year after losing 20+ seniors, cannot do it again losing another 10 - 15 more.

Don't be so sure. Didn't they rely on underclassmen last season? Is there senior(s) that graduated that they cannot fill with underclassmen from last season?

AP goalie is the best in New England and for that reason they will be #1

Anon
AP goalie is the best in New England and for that reason they will be #1

Settle down. He is a really good goalie but there are plenty of prep and AAA midget goalies that much have a say in that matter.

If he is so good then why is he there?