Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Approaching High School Age

Anon
anon
Anon
anon
Yeah, a team like Hingham might have 6-7 kids that can walk onto a prep team seamlessly but why should they? They'll be on the same junior teams anyway, have a $120-$150k more in the bank and be able to live at home.

Yeah cause the education you get at Hingham or a Prep are the same ...lol

Worth every penny

? In most quality publics you pull out the lower-end that simply doesn't want to be there and the 'no child left behind' crowd and a school like hingham as well as other top public high schools and you would have middle of the pack prep school at least. The poor guys that need to justify their expenses; sad.
Thousands and thousands of non-sports-playing public school kids are applying to area prep schools every year. Most are top end academically.

Now, why do you think that is?

Most, candidly, don't get admitted.

Now, why do you think THAT is.

Parents aren't out there paying for what they already pay for in taxes to level out the economy. If you don't have a kid in a prep school, you aren't in a position to understand why people make that decision.

Do you feel the same way about a community or state college and a private university? The equation is the same.

So you're saying public universities are inferior to private universities? Then you are a dope.

anon
Yeah, a team like Hingham might have 6-7 kids that can walk onto a prep team seamlessly but why should they? They'll be on the same junior teams anyway, have a $120-$150k more in the bank and be able to live at home.

Hingham's top 7 players for the coming season, who've played together for years, were on the Bay State Breakers U18 team that went 0-3 at States and was outscored collectively 21-3 by 3 teams made up of prep school players that never even practice together. Not sure which prep team they would "walk onto...seamlessly", but it wouldn't be a good one.

Maybe this season, but historically it would be the case. They always have a least a line upfront and a few D that can play if you've been paying attention. And how about the kid who was their worst defensemen one season at the high school and 6 months later he goes to Dexter he's their top defensemen? They could have rolled 5 kids over there just on D alone.

anon
Maybe this season, but historically it would be the case. They always have a least a line upfront and a few D that can play if you've been paying attention. And how about the kid who was their worst defensemen one season at the high school and 6 months later he goes to Dexter he's their top defensemen? They could have rolled 5 kids over there just on D alone.

All Hingham discussions inevitably revert to the LM sucks assertion. Not true. He was clearly their most skilled D when he was at Hingham and only his size will hold him back going forward. True, he didn't fit into Hingham's dump and chase scheme but what good player at the high school level would want to play that kind of hockey?

He didn't 'fit into their scheme?' I went out for a few of their games back then and from what I saw was they were trying to run the offense though the undersized D and giving him all of the ice time he could handle - so he was 'the scheme.'

Interestingly enough, yes the other kids were more ready to play - two I was out to see - and it was clearly a process of trying too hard to make it work and it didn't. Is the kid a bad player today? No. Did they have more high school ready kids right there? Obviously, but I think the coaches gave in trying to keep him there for when he would have been ready and that clearly didn't work either.

Ha! Almost got the coach fired. If he stayed another year cementing yet another losing season the whole staff would have gotten tossed. too funny.

anon
Ha! Almost got the coach fired. If he stayed another year cementing yet another losing season the whole staff would have gotten tossed. too funny.

And that would have been a bad thing? Tired coaches playing tired dump and chase goon hockey.

Scout
He didn't 'fit into their scheme?' I went out for a few of their games back then and from what I saw was they were trying to run the offense though the undersized D and giving him all of the ice time he could handle - so he was 'the scheme.'

Interestingly enough, yes the other kids were more ready to play - two I was out to see - and it was clearly a process of trying too hard to make it work and it didn't. Is the kid a bad player today? No. Did they have more high school ready kids right there? Obviously, but I think the coaches gave in trying to keep him there for when he would have been ready and that clearly didn't work either.

though it's funny LM is playing college hockey, and the other kids who were "more ready to play", are sitting at home watching him on tv

Anon
I'm hopeful that my youth hockey player will play high school and be more than a 3rd\4th liner as he enjoys the game. 12yrs old, atheletic. Below average hockey IQ\skill, better than average skating. Has showing steady progression each year but nothing shocking, enjoys checking and contact. We've done all the typical skills programs

For the parents with older kids...

Did a light turn on at a certain age?
What age did your child improve the most or was it a steady progression?

Where is he currently playing ? I bet I can give an educated guess where he will be in 2 or 3 years, or if he is at least headed in the right direction if he wants it.

Thanks,
He currently plays Tier 1, EHF & Town Hockey.
Top 2-3 on his town team, bottom of the pack on his club team

anon
Thanks,
He currently plays Tier 1, EHF & Town Hockey.
Top 2-3 on his town team, bottom of the pack on his club team

He will be fine, stay positive and keep doing what your doing. Unless your local high school is a powerhouse even the Tier 1 kids are top contributrs to the team.

Plenty of middle of the pack Tier 1 and AAA kids go on to be the top high school players on their team and area.

And remember to set a realistic goal for yourselves and child, unlike most of the fruitloops on here. If your kid has enough skill to be a captain of his competitive high school, then that is a thing the majority of youth hockey players never reach and means a great deal to them, but if your illusions of grandeur have him playing at a top NCAA school then that high school captaincy seems like a disappointment if that's his pinnacle.

I'm sure a very accurate answer could be given with more info like which EHF Tier 1 team and where he will go to high school.

Either way, he wil be fine and be vastly better than the kids who played just town going into high school, unless he is struggling with his EHF team

Thanks again,
Excellent advice, yes captain of his high school team Is a good realistic goal