Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Cardigan

We would look to enroll him as 8th or 9th grader at a place like Cardigan. He's a late birth year 04 and this type of school and then prep, would allow us to get him back on track for 2023 graduation, where he should be, in our opinion.

He's a straight A public school student currently, but I'm not sure he's up to the challenge of a Deerfield type academic environment. Just want academics to be legitimate and give him best chance of getting into good prep school.

Emotional maturity isn't an issue, but we'll find out after Feb/Quebec tourney how he responds to being away from home. I think a repeat year and boarding school puts him in best position to succeed, knowing him as I do.

anon
We would look to enroll him as 8th or 9th grader at a place like Cardigan. He's a late birth year 04 and this type of school and then prep, would allow us to get him back on track for 2023 graduation, where he should be, in our opinion.

He's a straight A public school student currently, but I'm not sure he's up to the challenge of a Deerfield type academic environment. Just want academics to be legitimate and give him best chance of getting into good prep school.

Emotional maturity isn't an issue, but we'll find out after Feb/Quebec tourney how he responds to being away from home. I think a repeat year and boarding school puts him in best position to succeed, knowing him as I do.

If your son is playing at the Q Pee Wee Tournament than he is playing on a legitimate youth team. I imagine he and his teammates start their season in mid August and by the time that December 1st rolls around, he has been on the ice 60-75 hours already? At Cardigan, no ice until November with minimal skating until middle of November. In the fall, they will have a few Sundays to skate here and there for an hour or so. Some are ok with this, but you need to be honest with yourself. It feels like a crazy arms race at times, but at this age those 50-75 hours of skating in the Fall go a long way.

If he does well academically, athletically, etc a school like Cardigan will help get him into a Deerfield, Andover, Exeter, Choate, Milton, Groton, etc.

Anon
anon

If your son is playing at the Q Pee Wee Tournament than he is playing on a legitimate youth team. I imagine he and his teammates start their season in mid August and by the time that December 1st rolls around, he has been on the ice 60-75 hours already? At Cardigan, no ice until November with minimal skating until middle of November. In the fall, they will have a few Sundays to skate here and there for an hour or so. Some are ok with this, but you need to be honest with yourself. It feels like a crazy arms race at times, but at this age those 50-75 hours of skating in the Fall go a long way.

If he does well academically, athletically, etc a school like Cardigan will help get him into a Deerfield, Andover, Exeter, Choate, Milton, Groton, etc.

^^^^^^^This

anon
If we're trying to find the best blend of academics/hockey, it sounds like it's Cardigan, then Fessenden, then Eaglebrook? Any others that we should be considering?

Does Cardigan have a track record for offering decent FA packages? Asking as they've shown interest in my 7th grader. Being from Mid-Atlantic, we're hesitant, but are carefully evaluating options and will do so through next Spring......but for any New England pre-prep/prep situation to work, we would prefer net-tuition to start with a "2". Is that even a possibility for a mid-level prospect?

We just finished our tours of all 3 of these schools last weekend. My son actually liked Eaglebrook best and coudln't decide between Cardigan, and Fessenden.
He would be repeating 8th and all 3 schools academics seem to be in line with each other. The environement at Eagelbrook seems to suite my son better than the others and the hockey team/coaching seem strong and a good fit but the FA package will determine next steps. Good luck.

We toured all 3 and Hillside last year. My son also liked Eaglebrook the best (because it was the most glamorous especially the rink). But logistically, Eaglebrook was the worst. We chose the strongest academically..Fessenden. Very happy and all give great FA if they want you. Good luck to your son, it's very exciting.

Dont all of these teams play Prep JV teams? 8th graders vs Jr and Sr in high school doesent seem to make sense. I assume some of the 8th/9th graders are repeat but what about the ones who arent, do they have any impact? Do they get to play?

Anon
Dont all of these teams play Prep JV teams? 8th graders vs Jr and Sr in high school doesent seem to make sense. I assume some of the 8th/9th graders are repeat but what about the ones who arent, do they have any impact? Do they get to play?

Yes, they play Prep JV/Seconds and other local clubs u14 or u15 teams. If your son is a true 8th grader, 13 years old, he better have the smarts to play with the bigger faster teams with Jrs and Srs. My sons team has 1 true 13 year old and he plays second line every game but hes smart and aggressive, we also have some 02's who are scared to fight for a puck. Dont rush it though, each player will develop at their own pace. Enjoy the game.

they play both JV and 8th grade prep teams. So far it has been great hockey

Why are we talking about sweaters on a hockey board?

My son chose Argyle over Cardigan...it was a better fit

anon
My son chose Argyle over Cardigan...it was a better fit

I find it chaffes.

Fessenden is looking for 7th graders....

Is Fes looking for 7th graders for 17-18 school year?
Would most of those kids play on their lower teams or do they have a legit shot at 'varsity'?

What does a hockey week look like at Fessenden- how much are they on the ice, and when in the fall do they start skating?

Fessenden practices 5 days a week for an hour each day. Practice starts at 2:30, 3:40 AND 4:40PM on a rotating basis. The varsity team is comprised of 7,8 and 9th graders. The team is well coached and is very competitive. Last week they beat St. Sebs 7-3. The rink is open year round and the boys can skate from the beginning of the year. The JVA team plays a 17 game schedule against the likes of Rivers, Sebs, St. John's Prep, Dexter, etc. It's a great school and a beautiful campus.

anon
Fessenden practices 5 days a week for an hour each day. Practice starts at 2:30, 3:40 AND 4:40PM on a rotating basis. The varsity team is comprised of 7,8 and 9th graders. The team is well coached and is very competitive. Last week they beat St. Sebs 7-3. The rink is open year round and the boys can skate from the beginning of the year. The JVA team plays a 17 game schedule against the likes of Rivers, Sebs, St. John's Prep, Dexter, etc. It's a great school and a beautiful campus.

The hockey is not great. You are better off at St Sebs or Bell Hill for 7th-8th if looking for the ideal

anon

Thats a bonus, I think most other schools dont open their rinks until November. (Cardigan, Eaglebrook, Rumsey).