View Entire Thread
Re: Tier one Elite League

anon
Anon
anon
Anon
anon
anon
Just read a stat that out of 498 D1 college players - only 1 came directly from u18 Tier 1 hockey. 17 came directly from prep schools.

That's due to T1 feeding the USHL with younger players and preps turning out 19 year old / 20 year old freshmen players. A bit of an anomaly in the numbers. My guess is most T1 teams would kill most prep teams regardless of age.

You would guess mostly wrong as most players on these T1 teams are mediocre at best, there is only a couple of good players on each team. You people are ridiculous, all because there is an alternative league for players to come from, it doesn't mean there is a whole new crop of D1 players out there. There is only so many players from New England that will make D1, all these many pathways just dilute the product.
Sorry your kid got cut. 25% of this year's USHL draft picks played T1EHL. Don't be so parochial, Massachusetts is not the center of the universe.

The league is national, and most of the country doesn't have Prep (although more and more players from out of the area are being recruited into Preps). They play in this league (or in the HPHL) before they play USHL, where they play before D1, and before being drafted.

The good news for Townies like you is, you can hate on this league as well as the Preps and the Catholics.

If you only knew
Don't flatter yourself. I don't give a rat's ass. " "

USHL rosters and where the players come from. As always, It's up to you to make your own choices and decide what works for your son, if you truely believe your son can play at this level. The data seems to show that while Tier1 is a solid contributor to the USHL ranks, most of those Tier 1 players tend to hail from other parts of the country, not New England. New England is still heavy on Preps with a few Tier 1's and even a few high school players thrown into the mix. Who knew?

http://assets.ngin.com/attachments/document/0106/7389/USHL_Team_List_9-21-16__Sheet1.pdf

High school is all political. It's all who you know and how much you donate or if daddies coaching.

Anon
High school is all political. It's all who you know and how much you donate or if daddies coaching.

1:19am? Really? Did you wake up hung over or are you still in bed? U16 BA tryouts should be coming up soon. I hear the owners son is in the mix, so jump on board if you can. I'm sure you'll get plenty of exposure and he'll leave no stone unturned to bring in all the talent he can find. Funny, kind of sounds a little like the high school you describe above.

Anon
Sorry your kid is on the 3rd line at your D2 or D3 school. Complete joke. There are 8 graders who can't even play real club team hockey playing varsity for some of these crappy D3 HS teams. Most U14 teams could beat these teams!

Go watch either of these teams and the competition. None of those U18's were cut from their HS teams. Most are public HS kids that actually can play vs. the total public HS kids, even at the D1 level. Hingham, Marshfield, Braintree, Weymouth, Walpole, Norwood, and so on....The best player on those teams would struggle to keep up with the U18 competition on both BA and other T1 Elite league kids. Stick with the facts folks.

Fact. A few of the teams listed above had kids who played U16 in their 2nd year of U16 for BA...none of those kids made the U18 team, all heading back to their HS's. Good players, but not good enough to play at the U18 level of this league.

U16's are even better, usually because the kids can be smaller and faster, better for the good developing players to play with kids who get it vs. playing the garbage 18 year olds who can't catch a pass or stick handle.

Sorry your kid can't make a team in this league. Keep telling yourself it's not good hockey though and Hanover High is a better option for you :) (You know who you are buddy)
Wait, so MH, currently playing for the Omaha Lancers, WASN'T cut by Needham High?

I don't have a player on BA. I do know a lot of the parents with boys on the teams. I make it a point to see the games in Hingham. It's good hockey. Physical, not cheap (there are always exception - at prep, too). The speed of the game compared to local HS is night and day.

Total joke that people think T1EHL is a washout league. I don't disagree that top prep programs like Milton, Thayer, Lawrence, Nobles are probably better than U16 or U18 BA. They probably AREN'T better than NJ Avs or others in the top 10, that BA has to compete against.

Add in that the league schedule is twice as many games as the typical HS schedule - against top competition every time out, no cupcakes - plus another 30 games outside the league, and these teams offer a much better development option and more exposure than any area team - Prep or CC.

Its from lack of real skill/talent. Players hit and fight for the clapping that goes with it. If they don't have skill and finesse to draw a big oooh and aww from the crowd they do it with goon tactics instead! You definitely don't see it as much in prep school. It's not allowed and kids are smart enough not to risk an injury. Same in Europe, who also rely more on skill than cavemen mentality.

Pppppppp*****y!!!!!!!!

Anon
anon
anon
anon
anon
anon
"The CC studs you mentioned of days gone by are still there, but you're probably seeing them skate as freshman and sophomores, not as juniors and seniors."

100% correct.

Not really! They are going prep right out of the gate. Look at every prep roster and you will see it is true. In the Boston area you have six very good prep programs that are day schools; Rivers, Thayer, St Sebs, Nobles, Bell Hill & Dexter. This year 5 of 6 have been ranked top 10 in New England and the other in the top 20. Every high end player ( from the area) ends up at these schools as Frosh or at the other boarding schools throughout New England.

And none of these schools could beat the Boston Advantage U16 team.

Is that a statement! or a question?

I Think the OP stated that if you watch a MA HS game you are seeing future Div 1 players as current Fr or So. I say not so much. Those kids are playing Prep already.

BA U16 team would probably beat most CC teams but not many preps outside of the bottom few. IMHO

It was a statement of fact. Maybe Avon, Salisbury, KUA would beat them but I'll say with high confidence that they would beat the rest. Against BA U18 none would stand a chance. Not saying that BA is great. Just that Prep's day is done.

This is such an absurd statement. BA U16 team would not stand a chance against many of the prep school teams. The U18 BA team got smoked 7-1 by Selects Academy, which is having a down year and Northwood Prep.

You'll have to give him a break. He's feeling guilty about making his kid play for BA instead of playing high school/prep. (Really stinks when your kid doesn't make varsity at a public as a freshman after spending all of that money. Coaches suck! ) I bet he's having a blast. His choice of course. Spends every waking moment stick handling and shooting picks at mom's washer and dryer in the basement. Never had an interest in playing any other sport other than hockey. You know the type. Dad thinks he's hit on the secret to success because two of the U18's have tentative commitments two years down the line. If only Dom Savio was still open! No offense, but those U16's wouldn't stand a chance against most D1 or D2 publics, never mind Catholics or preps. Could probably make a run at the D3 title though. If you're talking Public, U18's is equivalent a team full of public school seniors that get to play year round. If they couldn't compete with the better High School teams, that would be pretty sad.

anon
anon
"The CC studs you mentioned of days gone by are still there, but you're probably seeing them skate as freshman and sophomores, not as juniors and seniors."

100% correct.

Not really! They are going prep right out of the gate. Look at every prep roster and you will see it is true. In the Boston area you have six very good prep programs that are day schools; Rivers, Thayer, St Sebs, Nobles, Bell Hill & Dexter. This year 5 of 6 have been ranked top 10 in New England and the other in the top 20. Every high end player ( from the area) ends up at these schools as Frosh or at the other boarding schools throughout New England.

Not really sure why you think looking at current New England Prep School rosters and rankings prove your point. There are only 60 or so Prep schools that play hockey in New England, and some are god awful, so I would hope 6 MA teams could crack the top 20. Look at the current New England college rosters. What you see is what you have always seen. There is about a 50/50 split amoung the few MA kids that actually make it that far, of kids that started out at an MIAA school as opposed to straight prep. The South Shore has always trended towards Prep, and the North Shore has always trended towards Catholics, with a few publics thrown in on both sides of the border. Nothing new here. T1EHL has seen a slight up tick in current college recruits, but most of those kids are from other parts of the country not MA.