Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: High School Coaches

anon
anon
Anon
What kills me is the cluelessness of so many high school coaches as to why kids leave and go to prep & junior teams. If these coaches did something for these kids to play after high school many wouldn't leave.

Which coaches have made calls?

High school coaches can all day long until they are blue in the face and college coaches will laugh all day long. Hockey landscape has changed and to play at the next level (D1 or D3) players have to leave public or even CC nowadays and play prep. I dont buy the junior stuff unless you want to pay a ton of $$ and your kid have a shot at D3. Dont be naive either - if your kid was good enough at any level he would be found....dont blame high school coaches.

Yes the hockey landscape has sure changed if you're still talking prep hockey. Now it's juniors - instead of your prep year or after your prep year, but they all play juniors. And the oldest cliche in hockey, "if your kid was good enough at any level he would be found." So untrue.

It really isnt. If a kid is a standout at most levels they will absolutely be found. Issue is too many kids think they are good and just because they arent contacted they blame it on something. The hockey community and hockey scouting communities are really small and they do a good job identifying players that can play at that level. Rarely if ever does a kid fall through the cracks with all the technology today. Stats are available for most leagues with a few clicks. Unless your kid is tearing it up at the prep level or at least an all star his chances are playing D3 hockey or above are slim to none.

anon
anon
anon
Anon
What kills me is the cluelessness of so many high school coaches as to why kids leave and go to prep & junior teams. If these coaches did something for these kids to play after high school many wouldn't leave.

Which coaches have made calls?

High school coaches can all day long until they are blue in the face and college coaches will laugh all day long. Hockey landscape has changed and to play at the next level (D1 or D3) players have to leave public or even CC nowadays and play prep. I dont buy the junior stuff unless you want to pay a ton of $$ and your kid have a shot at D3. Dont be naive either - if your kid was good enough at any level he would be found....dont blame high school coaches.

Yes the hockey landscape has sure changed if you're still talking prep hockey. Now it's juniors - instead of your prep year or after your prep year, but they all play juniors. And the oldest cliche in hockey, "if your kid was good enough at any level he would be found." So untrue.

It really isnt. If a kid is a standout at most levels they will absolutely be found. Issue is too many kids think they are good and just because they arent contacted they blame it on something. The hockey community and hockey scouting communities are really small and they do a good job identifying players that can play at that level. Rarely if ever does a kid fall through the cracks with all the technology today. Stats are available for most leagues with a few clicks. Unless your kid is tearing it up at the prep level or at least an all star his chances are playing D3 hockey or above are slim to none.

The adage "if your kid is good enough, he will be found" is still true. What's changed is the typical family's perception of what is good enough.

Why do so many prep kids then need to also play a year of juniors before they make a D3 team. Many Nescac schools dont even publish the fact that that this is the case and make it look oh so much better saying they came from St Pauls or a catholic hs directly. Premier junior hockey in NAHL,USPHl or EHL is much better than prep hockey.

i saw a USPHL game the other day (where the kid pays the tuition) and it did not look like a very good level compared to Prep School.

anon
i saw a USPHL game the other day (where the kid pays the tuition) and it did not look like a very good level compared to Prep School.

U16/18 is low level prep.
Elite is a Mass high school div2 game

Premiere is better than Prep

Only a few Prep kids make the USPHL Premier teams so I'd think it's better. And these are graduated kids so they are no longer playing against 15 year olds.