Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Walpole

Boston Globe

FRANKLIN — No matter how the Super 8 selection meeting ended at the MIAA offices on Saturday morning, the Walpole boys’ hockey team was bound to make headlines.

Despite their near-perfect 21-0-1 record, the Bay State Herget champion Rebels were far from a lock to earn one of the 10 spots in the Division 1A tournament.

In a poll conducted by the state hockey coaches’ association (MSHCA) prior to the selection meeting, Walpole was left off the 12-team list. No one argued with the impressive record, but a perceived weak schedule raised questions of whether the Rebels could compete with the top teams in the state.

But as Walpole fifth-year coach Ron Dowd explained, there was uncertainty last summer if three of his top players would return this season. By the time he had confidence in his roster, the schedule was set, which featured 16 conference games.

Re: Walpole

anon

Boston Globe

FRANKLIN — No matter how the Super 8 selection meeting ended at the MIAA offices on Saturday morning, the Walpole boys’ hockey team was bound to make headlines.

Despite their near-perfect 21-0-1 record, the Bay State Herget champion Rebels were far from a lock to earn one of the 10 spots in the Division 1A tournament.

In a poll conducted by the state hockey coaches’ association (MSHCA) prior to the selection meeting, Walpole was left off the 12-team list. No one argued with the impressive record, but a perceived weak schedule raised questions of whether the Rebels could compete with the top teams in the state.

But as Walpole fifth-year coach Ron Dowd explained, there was uncertainty last summer if three of his top players would return this season. By the time he had confidence in his roster, the schedule was set, which featured 16 conference games.

Really? That's his reason for such a soft schedule? So basically, he is saying "why bother exposing the other 18 kids on my roster to higher-ranked teams....I can only win with those 3 kids"? Isn't this the same guy that instead of giving Franklin credit last season, blamed his playoff loss because they had "1 less day to rest"? I don't hear him saying anything about CM last playing Friday and Walpole Wednesday. That gives Walpole 2 more days of rest than CM. I always like to root for the publics, but this one seems hard to do. CM rolls in this one, Walpole falls to #1 seed in D1S and gets bounced in round 2 or 3.

This is the fat little midget's last year coaching. He wants to go out with a bang so chose another soft schedule. He's calling players that left for privates and begging them to come back. The ******* doesn't realize he left because of him and his poor coaching and his terrible schedule picks. He's desperate. Offering underclassmen spots on varsity already next year so they don't leave to go privates or club. Guy is a total joke. This is the reason why if you have a good player in this town you get them away from their high school quickly.

Anon

Really? That's his reason for such a soft schedule? So basically, he is saying "why bother exposing the other 18 kids on my roster to higher-ranked teams....I can only win with those 3 kids"? Isn't this the same guy that instead of giving Franklin credit last season, blamed his playoff loss because they had "1 less day to rest"? I don't hear him saying anything about CM last playing Friday and Walpole Wednesday. That gives Walpole 2 more days of rest than CM. I always like to root for the publics, but this one seems hard to do. CM rolls in this one, Walpole falls to #1 seed in D1S and gets bounced in round 2 or 3.

If true, isn't this sandbagging and teaching the boys to use excuses? And the MIAA rewarded that?

Anon
Anon

If true, isn't this sandbagging and teaching the boys to use excuses? And the MIAA rewarded that?

50th hardest schedule but rewarded with a Super 8 play in. Makes no sense!

A good U16 team could beat them
JOKE of a schedule 1 N Done.

= the 2007 New England Patriots

Anon
A good U16 team could beat them
JOKE of a schedule 1 N Done.

I know a few local U14 teams that would smoke them .....