The Official New England Ice Hockey DBoard 

Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
SB Nation Writer

Jeff Cox who claims to be " A hockey scout who also covers college, junior, prep and high school hockey for SB Nation and ESPN Boston."

Writes on CM's goalie - "...but he’s the best goaltender in high school hockey right now."

Not sure what game this guy was watching

Re: SB Nation Writer

The guy is a tool. He only see flashy little forwards and NHL prodigy and gushes about their dipsy-doodle stick handling. He wouldn't know a defensemen or a goalie if the kid stepped on his face with his skates on. A couple years ago he wouldn't comment on a highly recruited defensemen because he was 'just a stay at home defensemen...' ah, like a Brandon Carlo type?

Exactly with the OP. The guy goes out and sees two goalies on the same sheet of ice, in the same game.

One goalie is the top rated goalie in the state by save % (.967%) having faced over 300 shots (good sample size) and he has 13 shutouts AND he is 6'4" and could be the top prospect in the Super 8 and Bag-o-doughnuts Coxs calls the other kid "the best goaltender in high school hockey." Dude, look a couple hundred feet to your left or right.

http://www.masshshockey.com/inc/print_stats.php?mode=division&type=G&did=1

Anon
Exactly with the OP. The guy goes out and sees two goalies on the same sheet of ice, in the same game.

One goalie is the top rated goalie in the state by save % (.967%) having faced over 300 shots (good sample size) and he has 13 shutouts AND he is 6'4" and could be the top prospect in the Super 8 and Bag-o-doughnuts Coxs calls the other kid "the best goaltender in high school hockey." Dude, look a couple hundred feet to your left or right.

Kid is good, but 300 shots over 20+ games is a horrible sample size. Less than 15 shots per game is indicative of the level of teams that Walpole played this season.

Anon
Anon

Kid is good, but 300 shots over 20+ games is a horrible sample size. Less than 15 shots per game is indicative of the level of teams that Walpole played this season.

Thats true. 15 shots a game is a light load and indicative of a team controlling the game and not giving up many grade a chances. Have not seen the kid but it does sound like he has potential and a good make up. A year in Prep and a year in Jr's will shed some light.

Also, is it me or does the writer have a striking resemblance to Chuck Schick?

Yeah, you're right.

15 shots a game is a light load but a .967 save percentage and 13 shutouts is no joke even in Squirts.

I have no skin in the game, but what are this kid's plans? Reminds me a bit of the big kid who was the goalie at BCH a few years ago and I beleive he is either at or planning on attending Union.

Anon
Yeah, you're right.

15 shots a game is a light load but a .967 save percentage and 13 shutouts is no joke even in Squirts.

I have no skin in the game, but what are this kid's plans? Reminds me a bit of the big kid who was the goalie at BCH a few years ago and I beleive he is either at or planning on attending Union.

I'd hope a year a prep first, then maybe 1 or 2 in juniors. Good, big kid. Does have problems with rebounds at times, and seems a little unsteady when puck goes behind net, or he has to do a lot of lateral movement. Prep and then juniors should help with those.

Usually a PG year (much like repeating a grade in high school) burns a year of juniors and the kid 'ages out.' So one PG year and one juniors... Depending on birthdays of course.

Excellent point for the kids that repeat 8th grade to look better for high school. Burn that year and there goes a year of juniors which could make the difference between D-3 and D-1

Anon
Excellent point for the kids that repeat 8th grade to look better for high school. Burn that year and there goes a year of juniors which could make the difference between D-3 and D-1

You burn the year when you think he needs it. Athletically, academically, emotionally, etc. In the end, the kid will develop and land where he belongs. There will be times when he seems well ahead of his peers and times not so much. Later on he will be playing with kids two years younger, two years older.