High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Walpole

anon
Anon
Very happy for this goalie. Good kid and clearly outstanding. He is single-handedly giving himself a road to college in this series. As far as for the rest of the team, come on. Kid is standing on his head carrying the team and you all know it. My son plays against most of these kids in the off-season. His team dominates these players. They have two quality forwards. Everyone else is marginal at best. Walpole has four total players that belong on the ice with the kids from BC High. Without that goalie they are nothing.

And the Canadiens last won the Cup when Patrick Roy stood on his head. Without Tim Thomas the Bruins wouldn't have won in 2011. Jonathan Quick was the star in the Kings 2 Cups. Why does it mean less if Walpole wins because of their goalie? "Waah, waah, our players are better, you only won because your goalie is great." That's the whiner's refrain.. BCH gave up 2 goals to Walpole and they only scored 1. Kudos to Walpole. The only way to win is to score more than the other team. And if they did it with less skillful players so much the better. Anyone ever watch Hoosiers? Jimmy got all the points and the rest of the team just played hard. Doesn't matter how you win.

Great insight Shooter

Anon
Game I saw, BCH looked like they were on a power play all game.
i did NOT see the game. did Walpole play a box +1 in their zone (thereby making it look like BCH was on a power play). sounds like Walpole gained the lead then pulled a Tampa Bay (v Pittsburgh). a/k/a rather boring game (to non Walpole supporters) and frustrating for BCH (been there --- VERY frustrating). still a smart move by the Walpole coaching staff: you don't get style points.

So do any of the parents know if the goalie has been contacted by any junior teams or colleges? I sure hope so.

Sad people are booing the kid. It's such a Little League move to put your own kid on the first line if he doesn't belong and the cases where parents have done this never ends well for the kid in life. Sad. The only hope is the kid tells his dad to move him down.

anon
Sad people are booing the kid. It's such a Little League move to put your own kid on the first line if he doesn't belong and the cases where parents have done this never ends well for the kid in life. Sad. The only hope is the kid tells his dad to move him down.

Wrong thread

anon
So do any of the parents know if the goalie has been contacted by any junior teams or colleges? I sure hope so.

Yes he will be going to Quebec junior league and then the NHL.

Anon
anon

Yes he will be going to Quebec junior league and then the NHL.

No need to belittle him. Kid sounds pretty good. I am sure a PG and or jr's could lead to some college opportunities

Agree fully. His size alone will get him some looks depending upon where else he has played. Hope he keeps rolling. Here's an interesting one -

Jim Clark‏ @In_The_Slot 15h15 hours ago

With 14th SO, Walpole's James Corcoran broke unofficial state record. Tom Noble (CM 94), Doug Carr (Hanover 07), Zach Rosa (Wilm 10) had 13.

He is a very good high school goalie now and like you said a year or two of juniors or prep then he may play in college. There are many good HS goalies that never play in college as its a tough position when teams carry 3 goalies and sometimes only play the best one and your a backup or a practice goalie. There are so many good goalies in the US and Canada competeing for a few slots per team so it will take a lot of hard work to make it to the next level . However from what I have seen this season it sure looks like he has a ton of potential right now to get started on that path to college hockey if he so chooses. I wish him all the best in whatever he decides to do.

anon
Am I missing something here? Watched the CM / Walpole game and it looked like CM got lost with what should have been their strategy. Walpole isn't that deep and in fact some of the third / fourth line and bottom D pairings aren't that good at all and undersized. So why wouldn't BCH just come out and pace themselves and go 3-4 lines throughout and try to get traffic in front of the net? It's not like they are going to beat the best goalie in the state on breakaways. Get the puck deep, work it back to the point and create traffic & opportunities in front of the net.

IF Walpole loses Saturday and gets knocked out, I wonder who/what the coach will blame it on this year?

Simple. Blame it on the goalie that got them there in the first place.

Too much time between games!

Do you really think they can win 0-0 ?

What was the score?

Anon
What was the score?

Loss is a loss. Goalie showed he belonged. Enjoy the participation banner. Finishing 9th in the state feels better than finishing 5th.

Why don't you consider it from the players perspective. They were a team that went undefeated in regular season reguardless of they did or didn't play. They heard from everyone that they didn't belong in the super 8. They beat a much bigger and faster CM in a thrilling play in game. Then to cap it all off they took what everyone considers to be the best team in the state to the limit in a GREAT series. BC High definitely was deeper and more talented but Walpole gave them everything they could handle. It's not always about the kids getting a scholarship and going D1, sometimes it's about the ride and the memories created. Those kids made history and should be applauded for their accomplishments.

I'm not a Walpole fan at all. I think the coach is a total monkey. Saying that congrats to the boys. Goalie save their hide every single game. Mobile has one line that belongs and no depth after that. Fact. They hung on as long as they could but in the end it's on the coach for not for affording them the opportunity to play real competition during the year. This ultimately bit them in the end. They were not experienced against good teams and the speed and size was an eye-opener for them. Not fair to ask boys to get up for competition above them three or four games in a row when not used to playing that caliber. What I'm saying is the experience throughout the regular season would've helped them. It certainly would not of hurt their ranking it would've helped. Coach is a tool and should be fired for being someone who runs from competition in the regular season. Congrats again to the boys.

This makes absolutely no sense when you take the marshfield/Malden catholic series into consideration. Marshfield was run off the ice in both games but they played tough competition all season. Walpole took BC High to the limit without playing anyone

Anon
This makes absolutely no sense when you take the marshfield/Malden catholic series into consideration. Marshfield was run off the ice in both games but they played tough competition all season. Walpole took BC High to the limit without playing anyone

It does. The only player on Walpole on the same level was the goalie. Walpole played like they were holding on all series.

Yup. Rumor has it he's going to top junior program next year as the starting goalie.

Anon
Yup. Rumor has it he's going to top junior program next year as the starting goalie.

What do mean top? Like local Jr Bruins? Islanders? Will be a big jump! I am sure after he adjusts he will do fine. These spots are not easy to get as he will be competing with many goalies who have been playing at a much higher level.

Anon
Anon

What do mean top? Like local Jr Bruins? Islanders? Will be a big jump! I am sure after he adjusts he will do fine. These spots are not easy to get as he will be competing with many goalies who have been playing at a much higher level.

Much higher level? It's Tier III, checkbook please!

Aanon
Anon
Anon

Much higher level? It's Tier III, checkbook please!

So the IHC Premiere team started out with three goalies; 1 committed d1, another d3 and the third one was All New England the prior year at Loomis Chaffee, and he did not last. Jr Bruins have two former stand out prep goalies. One commited as a prefered walk on at Notre Dame and the other commited to Brown with another year of jr eligibility left. SS Kings have a former Avon old farms goalie who spent part of the season in the USHL and is a D1 commit. Sure the Walpole kid will do well but not really sure how much of a guarantee he will have at a Tier 3 club, nevermind a top league.