Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: D-I champion or Super 8 Invitee????

It is interesting too how the final high school rankings will usually have the D-I champion ranked in the top 8...meaning in most eyes winning the D-I means you shouldn't feel like you're the 9th best team in the state.

Unless you have a real shot at winning the Super 8 the best case scenario is to lose the play in game and then be #1 seed in D1 and win that state championship. Unless of course you're AP or CM and you lose the S8 play in game then lose in the quarter finals

Ha Ha!! If you lose a Super 8 play-in game and don't at LEAST make it to the D1 North or D1 South finals, your a team of frauds and made the S8 based on politics rather than on-ice performance.

Not always the case. Most often the kids feel let down after being bounced from the Super 8 and can't rally to play well the rest of the way. Likewise the teams that make to the finals are both on a 6-7 game winning streak and they are just pumped to play another day.

Thanks for that insight AP/CM parent!!

They don't hang participation banners for showing up and getting blown out. Enough said.

anon
They don't hang participation banners for showing up and getting blown out. Enough said.

Yeah, much better to have a 9th place banner.... But that way you can tell your friends who know nothing about Massachusetts hockey that you were "Division 1 champs". Looks better on your letter jacket too.

Yeah, 5th in the final polls, a banner at your rink, a D-I title, the memories of going undefeated your final 7-8 games, a celebration on the ice at the Garden, float in the town 4th of July parade, newspaper stories, a great hockey end of season banquet..

Better than limping home on a quiet bus after getting blown-out by some regional All-star team when you're a bunch of kids from the same town ending your losing high school career.

anon
Yeah, 5th in the final polls, a banner at your rink, a D-I title, the memories of going undefeated your final 7-8 games, a celebration on the ice at the Garden, float in the town 4th of July parade, newspaper stories, a great hockey end of season banquet..

Better than limping home on a quiet bus after getting blown-out by some regional All-star team when you're a bunch of kids from the same town ending your losing high school career.

Everyone deserves a trophy...

You win a tournament, you get a throphy. From Mites to the Stanley Cup, a hockey tradition unlike any other!

anon
You win a tournament, you get a throphy. From Mites to the Stanley Cup, a hockey tradition unlike any other!

Super 8 is to D-1 as NCAA is to NIT

Super 8 is to the Catholic Conference as D-I is to Public schools (this year aside)

anon
Super 8 is to the Catholic Conference as D-I is to Public schools (this year aside)

The constant whine about the CC is tiresome. Take MC out of the equation and the publics have more Super 8 titles in the last decade than the CC.

anon
anon

The constant whine about the CC is tiresome. Take MC out of the equation and the publics have more Super 8 titles in the last decade than the CC.

True, but if MC was not winning them it would not be because of the publics defeating them. Would have been AP, SJP, BC High, Pope/ Cathedral

anon
anon
anon

True, but if MC was not winning them it would not be because of the publics defeating them. Would have been AP, SJP, BC High, Pope/ Cathedral

Not one of which won a single Super 8 in the last decade. MC had a great streak. Doesn't mean publics can't win. There is a lot of value from a team unity perspective to playing with kids you've known your whole life. The CC may be able to recruit kids but most of them are free agents. It's like the story about the old Red Sox teams--great talent, but after the game they all got into separate cabs. Team chemistry and coaching can beat all-stars who play for themselves--remember there's only 1 puck on the ice.

anon
anon
anon
anon

Not one of which won a single Super 8 in the last decade. MC had a great streak. Doesn't mean publics can't win. There is a lot of value from a team unity perspective to playing with kids you've known your whole life. The CC may be able to recruit kids but most of them are free agents. It's like the story about the old Red Sox teams--great talent, but after the game they all got into separate cabs. Team chemistry and coaching can beat all-stars who play for themselves--remember there's only 1 puck on the ice.

Point is these MC teams were in the finals or knocked out CC teams that would have gone on to win the Super *. In the instances where they beat a CC in the finals ( AP, SJP) it is indisputable. In the others it is an educated guess. In any cases most of these kids do play at their respective schools for 3-4 years and do build their own identity and chemistry.

Not sure what your beef is but you seem pretty sour. Arlington proved once again that publics can compete and sometimes win even when the deck is stacked against them.

anon
anon
anon
anon
anon

Point is these MC teams were in the finals or knocked out CC teams that would have gone on to win the Super *. In the instances where they beat a CC in the finals ( AP, SJP) it is indisputable. In the others it is an educated guess. In any cases most of these kids do play at their respective schools for 3-4 years and do build their own identity and chemistry.

Not sure what your beef is but you seem pretty sour. Arlington proved once again that publics can compete and sometimes win even when the deck is stacked against them.

Point is its not hopeless for publics versus CC if they work hard and are well coached. Problem for most publics is that, even if they have the talent (and some do) they generally aren't well coached--and that goes for the publics making the Super 8 too. It's nice to see Arlington break thru without any real superstars.

anon
anon
anon
anon
anon
anon

Point is its not hopeless for publics versus CC if they work hard and are well coached. Problem for most publics is that, even if they have the talent (and some do) they generally aren't well coached--and that goes for the publics making the Super 8 too. It's nice to see Arlington break thru without any real superstars.

Agreed. OP stated that if MC had not one all those Super 8's than the publics would have more championships than CC. That is inaccurate! They typically beat CC teams in the finals or knocked them out along the way.

I am glad that the publics had a good showing this year. Previously, I thought there should be separate tournaments. Now it appears the CC is watered down and has decreased the gulf between the two.

"Now it appears the CC is watered down and has decreased the gulf between the two."

It happened so fast.

Pretty ironic that a public school won the Super 8 and a catholic school won the D1 titles this season dontcha think? Just goes to show you how watered down HS hockey has gotten in Mass in just the past few years.

i love when a public school wins the super 8 it MUST be that ALL hs hockey has been watered down. and yet when the catholics win --- they should have their own tournament because it's unfair (to the publics).

beatcuff
i love when a public school wins the super 8 it MUST be that ALL hs hockey has been watered down. and yet when the catholics win --- they should have their own tournament because it's unfair (to the publics).

My kid is a CC player but, anybody who has watched this league over the last five years can clearly see that it is watered down. Still decent hockey but clearly watered down.

beatcuff

Dude, all you have to do is look at the D1A and D1 championship games from last year and compare to this year. The drop was in talent was that noticable.

Anon
beatcuff

Dude, all you have to do is look at the D1A and D1 championship games from last year and compare to this year. The drop was in talent was that noticable.

In one year?

nonsense.

Anon
beatcuff

and thank you for making my point.
HINT: one year does not make a trend.