Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: ISL boarding

Anon
anon
Anon
Looking at ISL boarding schools, any pros/cons, looks like a solid league and schools look
Comparable. Coming from Dallas area.
My son goes to one of those schools, trust me, each school is VERY different, from an education perspective, culturally, and also hockey. This is not the forum to form an opinion off of.

What he said ^^^

Main question to ask here: what kind of student is your kid and are you looking more for academic/athletic or athletic/academic. All depends on what looking for. Many great schools I'm the area of ny/prov/bos.

Anon
Anon
anon
Anon
Looking at ISL boarding schools, any pros/cons, looks like a solid league and schools look
My son goes to one of those schools, trust me, each school is VERY different, from an education perspective, culturally, and also hockey. This is not the forum to form an opinion off of.

What he said ^^^

Main question to ask here: what kind of student is your kid and are you looking more for academic/athletic or athletic/academic. All depends on what looking for. Many great schools I'm the area of ny/prov/bos.

Thanks. Solid B+ student, higher end skater, above average lacrosse player. Looking for a good balance of academics/athletics..not looking for 4-5 hours of homework per night like a Deerfield (at least that is what we were told)

anon
Anon
Anon
anon
Anon

What he said ^^^

Thanks. Solid B+ student, higher end skater, above average lacrosse player. Looking for a good balance of academics/athletics..not looking for 4-5 hours of homework per night like a Deerfield (at least that is what we were told)
You're going to get a solid 2 1/2 to 3 hours a night, minimum, on average, at any ISL school. And that is if your kid is focused on getting the work done. I'm also assuming he would be coming in as a Freshman, If he is a repeat Junior, then it's completely different.

Forget sports. Focus on the academics and the cultural fit. Then worry about whether he can make Varsity. If it's the wrong fit academically and culturally, he either won't cut it or will be miserable.

What kind of student is he, and I don't mean grades? Does he work well independently, meaning if he has a free block he will get his work done, without Mom and Dad being there, or does he need his academic day and evening structured (i.e., mandatory, monitored study halls)? Does writing come easily, or does a 400 word essay cause him to go into a panic state? Is he a critical thinker, or does his knowledge base come from rote learning? These are the factors that will help determine the right ISL school.

And, here are two knockouts. Are you prepared to pay $35 - $45K per year for school? If you are a middle to upper middle earner and he is a good enough player you may get some money, probably around the equivalent of the boarding fees. A lot of parents think kids are getting full rides or paying $10 - $15K - it just doesn't happen, especially not for Freshmen. I've seen it over and over - parents of his teammates or my coworkers that are "recruited," go through the entire application process, and then get waitlisted or don't get as much money as they thought they would.

And, does he currently play for the Dallas Stars Elite? If he is not playing at or close to that level, and doesn't want the 4 - 5 hours of homework you mentioned (which is reality at more than a few ISL schools), then forget the ISL. You might have better luck at a New Hampton, North Yarmouth, or Holderness.

Have you thought about a Junior Prep, like a Cardigan Mountain or an Eaglebrook? He could do 9th there, and then decide if he goes on to an ISL school either as a Sophomore or as a repeat Freshman. Lower risk, higher likelihood you'll know the right fit.

your coming to the right place for hockey
Edu is good
Do your research an play U14,15,16 and still get good education at area public's

anon
your coming to the right place for hockey
Edu is good
Do your research an play U14,15,16 and still get good education at area public's

I don't think they are looking to relocate!

I am not the OP, but we are exploring a similar path. Although we aren't yet totally sold on boarding school, we are considering relocating and are researching the day-school route.

It seems clear that sending a kid to Prep before Sophomore year is risky from a hockey development standpoint, so we are inclined to wait a bit. My question is, not having talked to a lot of admissions folks, do schools tend to give less FA to day-students vs. boarding students?

We are also considering moving from the south, both for hockey and education, but fear the gauntlet of Bantam major.

At what point during this next season is it worth reaching out to determine which 04 teams might be trying to stay together vs. breaking apart due to prep, etc.?

IHC claims to have a "Mite-to-Junior" development path for their players - is it too early to tell how successful that path is, and whether their 04s will try to stick together for a run at Nationals in 18-19?

Anon
I am not the OP, but we are exploring a similar path. Although we aren't yet totally sold on boarding school, we are considering relocating and are researching the day-school route.

It seems clear that sending a kid to Prep before Sophomore year is risky from a hockey development standpoint, so we are inclined to wait a bit. My question is, not having talked to a lot of admissions folks, do schools tend to give less FA to day-students vs. boarding students?

We are also considering moving from the south, both for hockey and education, but fear the gauntlet of Bantam major.

At what point during this next season is it worth reaching out to determine which 04 teams might be trying to stay together vs. breaking apart due to prep, etc.?

IHC claims to have a "Mite-to-Junior" development path for their players - is it too early to tell how successful that path is, and whether their 04s will try to stick together for a run at Nationals in 18-19?

You should believe everything RG says, unless you are the parent of an 07 relocating for the super team only to be cut after 1 season.

There are almost too many schools in NE to choose from. You have to be realistic, if you are looking at a hockey powerhouse (myhockeyrankings 1-15) your son better be a stud. If not, take a look at #'s 16-35, this is where a majority of players "should" be in order to develop and actually play as a younger underclassman. http://www.boardingschoolreview.com is a great resource for a snapshot of what to expect. Good Luck.

OP here, thanks for the info. You folks are as passionate about your hockey as we are about our horses!

anon
There are almost too many schools in NE to choose from. You have to be realistic, if you are looking at a hockey powerhouse (myhockeyrankings 1-15) your son better be a stud. If not, take a look at #'s 16-35, this is where a majority of players "should" be in order to develop and actually play as a younger underclassman. http://www.boardingschoolreview.com is a great resource for a snapshot of what to expect. Good Luck.

Wrong. On all points.

Research the schools. Bottom line. Many of the school aren't as strong. Look at the bigger picture along w hockey. Education. What does your kid/parents want. Hockey isn't the answer. Poster doesn't know what he's talking about w 1-15, 16-35. Tak to the coaches and meet the students. This board won't give you answers. You really need to research schools in depth. There's a lot of "daddy's hopes and wishes" on this board.

Best of luck j hope your kid comes east and kills all our kids on the ice.

Anon
anon

Wrong. On all points.

Research the schools. Bottom line. Many of the school aren't as strong. Look at the bigger picture along w hockey. Education. What does your kid/parents want. Hockey isn't the answer. Poster doesn't know what he's talking about w 1-15, 16-35. Tak to the coaches and meet the students. This board won't give you answers. You really need to research schools in depth. There's a lot of "daddy's hopes and wishes" on this board.

Best of luck j hope your kid comes east and kills all our kids on the ice.

This last poster is mostly correct but please realize that his last comment is exactly what you will find in Prep schools along with good hockey and education, " False Humility". East Coast elites.

I hope you send your kid east and it works out for him.

Thanks ya'll, we are heading up next week to hit 9 schools and get a better feel.

anon
Thanks ya'll, we are heading up next week to hit 9 schools and get a better feel.

How have your visits been? What schools have you seen and liked?

Anon
anon

How have your visits been? What schools have you seen and liked?

OP here,schools have been amazing! Flew into Hartford, we have seen Taft, Avon, and Loomis then saw Deerfield, NMH and heading Boston way tomorrow. Such a vast difference between what we have seen so far. We did go to Westy for about 10 minutes and my son felt so out of place that we left. Every campus is nicer than my college campus! Will let you know how tomorrow goes. Night ya'll.

Keep talking to yourself buddy, nobody cares. Anybody who has visited schools knows you didn't visit all in that short a time and no one spends 10 min and walks off a campus. Nice try though.

Morning Y'all. Yeah right!

anon
Keep talking to yourself buddy, nobody cares. Anybody who has visited schools knows you didn't visit all in that short a time and no one spends 10 min and walks off a campus. Nice try though.

Flew in Sunday night. Went to 2 of them Monday, Went to 2 on Tuesday, played some golf, Went to 1 yesterday, played some golf. Westy wasnt a scheduled visit, just to walk the campus, wasn't a fit so we left. Sorry your mad was just answering the guys question.
Boston bound!

Ok Y'all. Imma fixin to go have some sweet tea between visits.

If you want sweet tea you need to come visit Dallas and go to McAllisters!

much obliged y'all

Update: Brooks was nice! Grabbing some grub and heading to the next one.

anon
anon

Flew in Sunday night. Went to 2 of them Monday, Went to 2 on Tuesday, played some golf, Went to 1 yesterday, played some golf. Westy wasnt a scheduled visit, just to walk the campus, wasn't a fit so we left. Sorry your mad was just answering the guys question.
Boston bound!

don't bother with that guy. bitter bertha. enjoy the schools campuses are amazing.

anon
anon
anon

Boston bound!

don't bother with that guy. bitter bertha. enjoy the schools campuses are amazing.

Be careful with some of those schools. Seems like they are strife with faculty with short eyes!

What a journey it has been, great trip! 1 common theme we take away is that these coaches are looking for a strong academic, strong character kids and parents (They interviewed us as much as my son) Many coaches felt that the summer is for conditioning and strength training maybe a camp or 2 if really want to but nothing to crazy. Just 1 side note, y'all need to work on your sweet tea...terrible.

Gee wiz Beavis that's the pearl of wisdom you picked up? Wow you did it. You found the secret. Hope the apple falls far from the tree...for his sake.

anon
Gee wiz Beavis that's the pearl of wisdom you picked up? Wow you did it. You found the secret. Hope the apple falls far from the tree...for his sake.

Who says that? "Gee wiz Beavis that's the pearl of wisdom you picked up" what are you 90? Pearl of wisdom...really!

anon
What a journey it has been, great trip! 1 common theme we take away is that these coaches are looking for a strong academic, strong character kids and parents (They interviewed us as much as my son) Many coaches felt that the summer is for conditioning and strength training maybe a camp or 2 if really want to but nothing to crazy. Just 1 side note, y'all need to work on your sweet tea...terrible.

you haven't tried DD sweet tea. have a good trip back.

anon

Sweet Tea? Ha ha. Yeah, like we give a rats a** about that around here. I know you are doing this as a lark but with just the outside chance this is genuine go back to Texas and go get your Sweet Tea straight from the spicket. Ha

Lawrence Academy it is! What a great experience it was for our family. Go Red Sox!