email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Prep school teams

Anon
It's fluid year to year, so hard to point you to a "list." Locally, the Keller Divison if the ISL was formed to have the "D1" teams that recruited players and focused more on the athletics side of the student athlete equation. The Eberhart Division was considered "DII" (isn't any more), generally didn't recruit, and stressed academics. Now, strong teams like Rivers complicate things.

Outside of this immediate area, the Founders League has a number of top prep teams in it. But, it isn't as strong top to bottom as Keller.

Then you have teams like Cushing and Kimball Union that play in lesser leagues, but also play a lot of games outside of their leagues.

You could look at the NEPSAC playoff brackets over time. The teams that are consistently there would be considered "top Prep." I wouldn't exclude a team that didn't make is one year, just because of that, not would I consider every team that makes it top Prep.

That helps alot..thank you!

Also check out Myhockeyrankings.com. Not so much for the ranking but for the game results verse each other and the quick links to the schools. Also, if you are outside New England and looking for your player to make the move up here for school, check out some of the independent Preps like Northwood. Best of luck

anon
Anon
It's fluid year to year, so hard to point you to a "list." Locally, the Keller Divison if the ISL was formed to have the "D1" teams that recruited players and focused more on the athletics side of the student athlete equation. The Eberhart Division was considered "DII" (isn't any more), generally didn't recruit, and stressed academics. Now, strong teams like Rivers complicate things.

Outside of this immediate area, the Founders League has a number of top prep teams in it. But, it isn't as strong top to bottom as Keller.

Then you have teams like Cushing and Kimball Union that play in lesser leagues, but also play a lot of games outside of their leagues.

You could look at the NEPSAC playoff brackets over time. The teams that are consistently there would be considered "top Prep." I wouldn't exclude a team that didn't make is one year, just because of that, not would I consider every team that makes it top Prep.

All you have to do is look at the teams that are in the playoffs every year (Elite 8), consistently. Such as Kimball Union, Dexter, Exeter, Salisbury, Gunnery, Belmont Hill, etc. don't get hung up on the previous poster and ISL.

Aanon
anon
Anon

All you have to do is look at the teams that are in the playoffs every year (Elite 8), consistently. Such as Kimball Union, Dexter, Exeter, Salisbury, Gunnery, Belmont Hill, etc. don't get hung up on the previous poster and ISL.
AAAANNNNDDDD, here come the cockaroaches.

The "Elite 8" is the NEPSAC playoffs I already pointed the OP to. Zero new information there. Plus, that excludes the other two brackets. I would consider most of the Large School playoff teams to be "top Prep" and most of the Small School teams, too.

There are more than 8 schools each year that are considered "top Prep."

Ha Ha. LOL . That is awesome! So true!! " Yeah, don't listen to that previous poster. Look at his Grammah" Can't even spell. ahhhhhh.

Just go to Shattuck-St Marys.

Define what you mean by top tier. Hockey, academics or both. Lots of great schools all over New England. Most important is to find the right first for your kid and your family. Location, cost, academic fit.... Kids move on to college hockey from all these schools. As a general rule I would agree Keller teams are stronger overall than Eberhart in ISL but you can get good competitive hockey at most of the schools in either division and there is a lot of cross over play. One advantage to the smaller schools is your kid can play and contribute from day one, not always the case at the bigger schools.

Anon
Aanon
anon
Anon

The "Elite 8" is the NEPSAC playoffs I already pointed the OP to. Zero new information there. Plus, that excludes the other two brackets. I would consider most of the Large School playoff teams to be "top Prep" and most of the Small School teams, too.

There are more than 8 schools each year that are considered "top Prep."

dude, your a complete idiot. The top ranked 8 teams in New England go to the "Elite 8", then after that the next 8 Large schools go to the Large School tourney, and the same for the next 8 small schools

I dont understand the allure of Prep if your kid is a True Freshman or Sophomore.
Most likely that kid will move away from home, play on JV for 2 or 3 years..and for what? Am I missing something?
Wouldn't it make sense to wait until he matures physically and save some $$$ by playing on a club team with kids your own age? I get the academics and environment are outstanding, not debating that, but in terms of hockey development just dosent seem to make sense.

anon
I dont understand the allure of Prep if your kid is a True Freshman or Sophomore.
Most likely that kid will move away from home, play on JV for 2 or 3 years..and for what? Am I missing something?
Wouldn't it make sense to wait until he matures physically and save some $$$ by playing on a club team with kids your own age? I get the academics and environment are outstanding, not debating that, but in terms of hockey development just dosent seem to make sense.
Most prep kids in this area are day students. Some schools like Rivers are 100% day students, Bel Hill has limited boarders, Lawrence 50/50, etc.

If it's a school with a good hockey program, it's hard-to-impossible to play your way onto Varsity. And JV sucks. Not as bad as public JV, but not good hockey. Don't expect to develop playing anything other than Varsity.

If it's a school with a lousy hockey program, you better be going for the academics.

Bottom line, you answered your own question. You go for the academics and environment, not the hockey.

Any thoughts on Pope Francis? We are in a tough position geographically and seems like Pope would be our best option at this point.

anon
Any thoughts on Pope Francis? We are in a tough position geographically and seems like Pope would be our best option at this point.
Well, right out of the box, not a prep school. Catholic hockey seems to have dropped off (so has prep, but not as much). Can they recapture the Cathedral magic? Hard to say.

Anon
anon
Well, right out of the box, not a prep school. Catholic hockey seems to have dropped off (so has prep, but not as much). Can they recapture the Cathedral magic? Hard to say.

If your demographic location is an issue then yes, Pope Francis could be a solution, but be careful as their will be a lot of academic changes over the next 2 years with relocating to the new building, etc..

But if the guy is telling me I can send my kid to Phillips Exeter which includes boarding for $5k or BCH for $20K as a commuter what's the issue?

Why don't they tell people?

anon
But if the guy is telling me I can send my kid to Phillips Exeter which includes boarding for $5k or BCH for $20K as a commuter what's the issue?

PEA has an endowment greater than many universities. They can subsidize an student athletes education whereas BCH cannot nearly so.

anon

You see, your son would have to qualify academically also to receive that financial love. There is more of a balance needed than most realize. They will take everything into consideration for admissions: Gender, Citizenship, Age, SSAT Scores, GPA, Extra Curricular, Amount Financial Need and lastly, Athletics.
There is a fit for every kid, but you have to do the homework, visit the schools, and advocate for your son.
I know Tabor does it based on Pools
1000 applications
50/50 boys/girls
Now your son is in a Pool of 500
50/50 Citizenship
Now your son is in a Pool of 250
A or A- GPA, Decent SSAT
Move to a Pool of 100
Plays multiple sports and solid extra curricular/ community work
Pool of 75
HOW MUCH AID DO WE WANT TO GIVE THIS KID?
And there you have it folks. See how small of a part Hockey plays for majority of these kids.

anon

If you're looking at BCH your kid can't get into Exeter.

Anon
anon

Not true. There are kids playing hockey at Exeter that are by no means great students whereas there are kids at BC High playing hockey that are great students.

Not to say PEA is not an excellent school or that many of their kids are not great students. They are on both counts. BCH may not be as strong academically or as competitive getting in but it really comes done to " What does he/she bring?" Sometimes being a great athlete is enough! Sometimes!!

anon
Anon
anon

Not true. There are kids playing hockey at Exeter that are by no means great students whereas there are kids at BC High playing hockey that are great students.

Not to say PEA is not an excellent school or that many of their kids are not great students. They are on both counts. BCH may not be as strong academically or as competitive getting in but it really comes done to " What does he/she bring?" Sometimes being a great athlete is enough! Sometimes!!

To add to this point. A kid will get out of school what he puts into it. There are very few schools in Massachusetts that don't give kids the tools to get into whatever college they want, provided they are willing to work hard and get involved in a lot of activities. I went to a crappy rural Massachusetts public high school and got into the Ivy League school that I wanted to go to. So don't assume that every kid at a prep school is smarter than every kid at a public school. Let's not make this a continuation of the EHF/E9 argument.

Either way why pay $20k for a kid to be at a C.C. school and hanging around the house when you can pay $5k and send the kid away? Heck $5k hardly covers the kids food bill at the house!

Exeter here we come and see you later Flash!

anon
Either way why pay $20k for a kid to be at a C.C. school and hanging around the house when you can pay $5k and send the kid away? Heck $5k hardly covers the kids food bill at the house!

Exeter here we come and see you later Flash!

I will agree if you have those two choices, you are in a good position and the decision seems clear. Even for those of us who do not want to ship our kids away for high school, Exeter is not that far away and it would be difficult to turn down that opportunity.

Sure Exeter hands out $5K boarding scholarships for PG hockey players all the time cause....

Oh yeah, there needs to be a reason other than someone said so on the dboard. If the kids going to be a drag on their academic or matriculation stats he aint getting jack let along getting in at all.

anon
Sure Exeter hands out $5K boarding scholarships for PG hockey players all the time cause....

Oh yeah, there needs to be a reason other than someone said so on the dboard. If the kids going to be a drag on their academic or matriculation stats he aint getting jack let along getting in at all.

"Sure Exeter hands out $5K boarding scholarships for PG hockey players all the time cause...."

You have no idea what your talking about

Aanon
anon

"Sure Exeter hands out $5K boarding scholarships for PG hockey players all the time cause...."

You have no idea what your talking about

From what I have heard, Exeter and Andover are very similar to the Ivy's. You pay what you claim you can afford. Must be reasonable and supported with financials. Does not mean that the coach can't call in a favor for a super stud but very unlikely super studs dad is trolling the D board :)

My son woke up this morning and told me he wants to focus on hockey vs his other 2 sports and wants to do whatever it takes to play professionally. I have no idea how to help him do this. Hes a smart kid, definitely skilled enough to play at most schools as he has been asked, but now Prep dosent seem like the best option, or does it?
#Parentinghockeyplayersishard

anon
My son woke up this morning and told me he wants to focus on hockey vs his other 2 sports and wants to do whatever it takes to play professionally. I have no idea how to help him do this. Hes a smart kid, definitely skilled enough to play at most schools as he has been asked, but now Prep dosent seem like the best option, or does it?

Call Honeybaked coach for tryout and, if he makes team, ship him off to Detroit.

Anon
anon

Call Honeybaked coach for tryout and, if he makes team, ship him off to Detroit.
I think what he's saying is, it's a little arrogant to assume he's "definitely skilled enough to play at most schools" and for your kid to announce he's decided to play hockey professionally. OK, it's a lot arrogant. Maybe you're being facetious?

Also not sure why you drew the conclusion that Prep isn't the best option. Yes, it isn't what it used to be, but it's still the best option for a stud player in this area. Whether that's your kid or not isn't known yet.

But, you're right, it's difficult as a parent to navigate. I'd suggest asking some specific questions, probably in a new thread, and see what you get. Start with what age your kid is.

Anon
Anon
anon

I think what he's saying is, it's a little arrogant to assume he's "definitely skilled enough to play at most schools" and for your kid to announce he's decided to play hockey professionally. OK, it's a lot arrogant. Maybe you're being facetious?

Also not sure why you drew the conclusion that Prep isn't the best option. Yes, it isn't what it used to be, but it's still the best option for a stud player in this area. Whether that's your kid or not isn't known yet.

But, you're right, it's difficult as a parent to navigate. I'd suggest asking some specific questions, probably in a new thread, and see what you get. Start with what age your kid is.

Only reason I said he was skilled enough is because of the offers he has received from a few schools on our short list. He didn't announce "he decided to play professionally", he announced he's willing to do whatever it takes to get to that point, big difference. Best of luck

If your kid was good enough to potentially play hockey for a living, you would know it. You would also have NHL agents and college coaches reaching out to you directly. If that's the case, ask them. If you are not being contacted, then do your kid a favor. Take him down to the local rink and let him sit on the zamboni. Ask him how it feels because that's what he will be doing for the rest of his life if he goes all in on hockey.

anon
If your kid was good enough to potentially play hockey for a living, you would know it. You would also have NHL agents and college coaches reaching out to you directly. If that's the case, ask them. If you are not being contacted, then do your kid a favor. Take him down to the local rink and let him sit on the zamboni. Ask him how it feels because that's what he will be doing for the rest of his life if he goes all in on hockey.

Totally 100% not true - "You would also have NHL agents and college coaches reaching out to you directly."

He would if the kid was a legacy kid or if dad coaches a D-I college or works in an NHL front office. And if you think I'm wrong look around.

Prep is O.K. but eventually you would be looking for a more competitive level of hockey. Send him over to BA for their Tier 1 team and then off to the USHL. Will that get him to the pro level? Not assured by any means but at least he will see where he needs to be and if all else fails and reality sets in he would make it to college hockey. Good luck to the kid.

anon
anon

Totally 100% not true - "You would also have NHL agents and college coaches reaching out to you directly."

He would if the kid was a legacy kid or if dad coaches a D-I college or works in an NHL front office. And if you think I'm wrong look around.

Prep is O.K. but eventually you would be looking for a more competitive level of hockey. Send him over to BA for their Tier 1 team and then off to the USHL. Will that get him to the pro level? Not assured by any means but at least he will see where he needs to be and if all else fails and reality sets in he would make it to college hockey. Good luck to the kid.
Ummmmmm, actually he's right. I was contacted completely out of nowhere by a family advisor with a full stable of NHL clients. The word gets around who has above-average ability to play professionally, and the agents will look to make those connections. They know all it will cost them is a couple of phone calls and emails until they are looking to get into college. They also learn who the PITA parents are, and avoid them even if the kid has potential.

As for prep, even if it's not as good as it used to be, it's still better overall than T1EHL locally. I don't think any kids were drafted this year by the USHL from either BA or the Monarchs. Quite a few prep kids were. T1EHL is a great league, but still overall not at the level of prep hockey in New England.

'Family advisor' is not 'college coaches' or an 'NHL agent' but enjoy the ride.

anon

Your clueless.

anon
anon

Your clueless.
But, given the current number of people calling themselves "family advisors," it isn't all your fault.

A legit family advisor is typically an NHL agent that works with families to help make contacts prior to their becoming professionals. Kids aren't allowed to have agents, that's an NCAA violation, so they are called family advisors. The relationship usually starts around 8th grade or so.

From the original posters questions: Follow the money!
Top Tier Schools are schools with over $100 Million Endowment. I just went through all of this with my son for the past 5 months. He graduates from Jr. Boarding next week and his placement adviser followed the money!
Exeter
Deerfield
Hotchkiss
Loomis
NMH
Berkshire
Just to name a few. Some other things to keep in mind:
1. All of these schools talk to each other about what they are willing to offer a student for Aid depending on how bad they want that kid. My son didnt even get into a school that was less academically endowed because of the amount of Aid another school was offering, and they came right out and said it.
2. Luckily my son was taken as a Varsity player, but the coach did mention they have 4 other kids moving up from Varsity B. I was surprised as I have heard all along many coaches don't do that.

Good luck, it is not easy by any means but stick to your plan, it will work out.

anon
Top Tier Schools are schools with over $100 Million Endowment. I just went through all of this with my son for the past 5 months. He graduates from Jr. Boarding next week and his placement adviser followed the money!
Exeter
Deerfield
Hotchkiss
Loomis
NMH
Berkshire
1. All of these schools talk to each other about what they are willing to offer a student for Aid depending on how bad they want that kid. My son didnt even get into a school that was less academically endowed because of the amount of Aid another school was offering, and they came right out and said it.
2. Luckily my son was taken as a Varsity player, but the coach did mention they have 4 other kids moving up from Varsity B. I was surprised as I have heard all along many coaches don't do that.

Good luck, it is not easy by any means but stick to your plan, it will work out.

Just to be accurate, Exeter's endowment is over $1 Billion, that is with a B!

Aanon
anon
Exeter
Deerfield
Hotchkiss
Loomis
NMH
Berkshire

Just to be accurate, Exeter's endowment is over $1 Billion, that is with a B!

Yes Exeter 1B
Deerfield 500M
Hotchkiss 350M
Loomis 190M
NMH 150M
Berkshire 180M
Thats alot of aid available.

If your kid goes to BCH, CM or X, then he is an Irish dumb dumb.

Good luck, and keep him away from the priest.