Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Prep school teams

Anon
Anon
anon
My son woke up this morning and told me he wants to focus on hockey vs his other 2 sports and wants to do whatever it takes to play professionally. I have no idea how to help him do this. Hes a smart kid, definitely skilled enough to play at most schools as he has been asked, but now Prep dosent seem like the best option, or does it?
#Parentinghockeyplayersishard

Call Honeybaked coach for tryout and, if he makes team, ship him off to Detroit.
I think what he's saying is, it's a little arrogant to assume he's "definitely skilled enough to play at most schools" and for your kid to announce he's decided to play hockey professionally. OK, it's a lot arrogant. Maybe you're being facetious?

Also not sure why you drew the conclusion that Prep isn't the best option. Yes, it isn't what it used to be, but it's still the best option for a stud player in this area. Whether that's your kid or not isn't known yet.

But, you're right, it's difficult as a parent to navigate. I'd suggest asking some specific questions, probably in a new thread, and see what you get. Start with what age your kid is.

Only reason I said he was skilled enough is because of the offers he has received from a few schools on our short list. He didn't announce "he decided to play professionally", he announced he's willing to do whatever it takes to get to that point, big difference. Best of luck

If your kid was good enough to potentially play hockey for a living, you would know it. You would also have NHL agents and college coaches reaching out to you directly. If that's the case, ask them. If you are not being contacted, then do your kid a favor. Take him down to the local rink and let him sit on the zamboni. Ask him how it feels because that's what he will be doing for the rest of his life if he goes all in on hockey.

anon
If your kid was good enough to potentially play hockey for a living, you would know it. You would also have NHL agents and college coaches reaching out to you directly. If that's the case, ask them. If you are not being contacted, then do your kid a favor. Take him down to the local rink and let him sit on the zamboni. Ask him how it feels because that's what he will be doing for the rest of his life if he goes all in on hockey.

Totally 100% not true - "You would also have NHL agents and college coaches reaching out to you directly."

He would if the kid was a legacy kid or if dad coaches a D-I college or works in an NHL front office. And if you think I'm wrong look around.

Prep is O.K. but eventually you would be looking for a more competitive level of hockey. Send him over to BA for their Tier 1 team and then off to the USHL. Will that get him to the pro level? Not assured by any means but at least he will see where he needs to be and if all else fails and reality sets in he would make it to college hockey. Good luck to the kid.

anon
anon

Totally 100% not true - "You would also have NHL agents and college coaches reaching out to you directly."

He would if the kid was a legacy kid or if dad coaches a D-I college or works in an NHL front office. And if you think I'm wrong look around.

Prep is O.K. but eventually you would be looking for a more competitive level of hockey. Send him over to BA for their Tier 1 team and then off to the USHL. Will that get him to the pro level? Not assured by any means but at least he will see where he needs to be and if all else fails and reality sets in he would make it to college hockey. Good luck to the kid.
Ummmmmm, actually he's right. I was contacted completely out of nowhere by a family advisor with a full stable of NHL clients. The word gets around who has above-average ability to play professionally, and the agents will look to make those connections. They know all it will cost them is a couple of phone calls and emails until they are looking to get into college. They also learn who the PITA parents are, and avoid them even if the kid has potential.

As for prep, even if it's not as good as it used to be, it's still better overall than T1EHL locally. I don't think any kids were drafted this year by the USHL from either BA or the Monarchs. Quite a few prep kids were. T1EHL is a great league, but still overall not at the level of prep hockey in New England.

'Family advisor' is not 'college coaches' or an 'NHL agent' but enjoy the ride.

anon

Your clueless.

anon
anon

Your clueless.
But, given the current number of people calling themselves "family advisors," it isn't all your fault.

A legit family advisor is typically an NHL agent that works with families to help make contacts prior to their becoming professionals. Kids aren't allowed to have agents, that's an NCAA violation, so they are called family advisors. The relationship usually starts around 8th grade or so.

From the original posters questions: Follow the money!
Top Tier Schools are schools with over $100 Million Endowment. I just went through all of this with my son for the past 5 months. He graduates from Jr. Boarding next week and his placement adviser followed the money!
Exeter
Deerfield
Hotchkiss
Loomis
NMH
Berkshire
Just to name a few. Some other things to keep in mind:
1. All of these schools talk to each other about what they are willing to offer a student for Aid depending on how bad they want that kid. My son didnt even get into a school that was less academically endowed because of the amount of Aid another school was offering, and they came right out and said it.
2. Luckily my son was taken as a Varsity player, but the coach did mention they have 4 other kids moving up from Varsity B. I was surprised as I have heard all along many coaches don't do that.

Good luck, it is not easy by any means but stick to your plan, it will work out.

anon
Top Tier Schools are schools with over $100 Million Endowment. I just went through all of this with my son for the past 5 months. He graduates from Jr. Boarding next week and his placement adviser followed the money!
Exeter
Deerfield
Hotchkiss
Loomis
NMH
Berkshire
1. All of these schools talk to each other about what they are willing to offer a student for Aid depending on how bad they want that kid. My son didnt even get into a school that was less academically endowed because of the amount of Aid another school was offering, and they came right out and said it.
2. Luckily my son was taken as a Varsity player, but the coach did mention they have 4 other kids moving up from Varsity B. I was surprised as I have heard all along many coaches don't do that.

Good luck, it is not easy by any means but stick to your plan, it will work out.

Just to be accurate, Exeter's endowment is over $1 Billion, that is with a B!

Aanon
anon
Exeter
Deerfield
Hotchkiss
Loomis
NMH
Berkshire

Just to be accurate, Exeter's endowment is over $1 Billion, that is with a B!

Yes Exeter 1B
Deerfield 500M
Hotchkiss 350M
Loomis 190M
NMH 150M
Berkshire 180M
Thats alot of aid available.

If your kid goes to BCH, CM or X, then he is an Irish dumb dumb.

Good luck, and keep him away from the priest.