Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: USHL Futures Camps

It's Fathers Day so I'm in a charitable mood. Before I react to your post, how about if you answer one question.

Has your kid attended one?

Anon
It's Fathers Day so I'm in a charitable mood. Before I react to your post, how about if you answer one question.

Futures camp, no. Combine, Yes.

Anon
Anon

So, if your kid has never been, what is your opinion based on?

We did one, it was a great experience.

Anon
Anon

Oh I see how it is: My kid was invited to the USHL Combine so he is legit. If your kid wasn't but goes to a futures Camp he is a bender!

So you come up here to pose the question just so you can toot your own horn? What a pathetic excuse you are! Ha ha

If your kid is "good", he will actually be invited to a USHL's team main camp, or get drafted by a team. If your being invited to a "combine" or futures camp, thanks for the donation.

Aanon
If your kid is "good", he will actually be invited to a USHL's team main camp, or get drafted by a team. If your being invited to a "combine" or futures camp, thanks for the donation.
Once again, are you basing this on personal experience with the Combine and Futures Camp, or just talking out of your ass like the OP?

Anon
Anon
Anon

Oh I see how it is: My kid was invited to the USHL Combine so he is legit. If your kid wasn't but goes to a futures Camp he is a bender!

So you come up here to pose the question just so you can toot your own horn? What a pathetic excuse you are! Ha ha

Didn't toot anything, guy asked me a question and I answered. Funny too how many 2002/2003 parents are taking their kids all over the US for Futures camp without any invite. Guess it's a new trend. Safe travels, enjoy the free jersey. I just think players could work on development right here in New England without airfare, hotels, rental cars, and don't give me it's a vacation crap, none of these teams are in destination spots.

Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon

Didn't toot anything, guy asked me a question and I answered. Funny too how many 2002/2003 parents are taking their kids all over the US for Futures camp without any invite. Guess it's a new trend. Safe travels, enjoy the free jersey. I just think players could work on development right here in New England without airfare, hotels, rental cars, and don't give me it's a vacation crap, none of these teams are in destination spots.

And how much did you pay to bring your Lil Superstar to the Combine? Probably about the same and those parents you speak of have the jump on you a year or two earlier. Dope.

Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon

Here's the thing. When the question is asked of "Anon" and you answer as "Anon" two posts later it isn't exactly a huge leap to think it's the same poster.

As far as locations go, not all of them are in backwater Midwest towns. Some of the teams have them in Chicago, Detroit etc. And the Storm open and Main camps are in Vegas.

Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon

Here's the thing. When the question is asked of "Anon" and you answer as "Anon" two posts later it isn't exactly a huge leap to think it's the same poster.

As far as locations go, not all of them are in backwater Midwest towns. Some of the teams have them in Chicago, Detroit etc. And the Storm open and Main camps are in Vegas.

Yet you use "anon". Am I, you? Have I been posting every post on this board for all the years the board has been?
Einhorn is Finkle? Chicago, Detroit and Vegas.. nice family summer getaways! Stop it.
No 02 or 03 should be doing anything other then the combine if they are invited, USHL is for the big boys. Otherwise, take the $800.00 and do some edge lessons. Cmon man.

Not anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon

Yet you use "anon". Am I, you? Have I been posting every post on this board for all the years the board has been?
Einhorn is Finkle? Chicago, Detroit and Vegas.. nice family summer getaways! Stop it.
No 02 or 03 should be doing anything other then the combine if they are invited, USHL is for the big boys. Otherwise, take the $800.00 and do some edge lessons. Cmon man.
Wow, think I'm glad I don't travel with you. We did Chicago and Detroit last season and had a great time sightseeing in both. We've also done Vegas and there was plenty of family stuff, could have stayed for three times as long and not run out of things to do.

As far as skills go, why does it have to be an either / or thing?

Anon
Not anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon

Wow, think I'm glad I don't travel with you. We did Chicago and Detroit last season and had a great time sightseeing in both. We've also done Vegas and there was plenty of family stuff, could have stayed for three times as long and not run out of things to do.

So you went all these places for your kid to play hockey? Did he get better by traveling to exotic Chicago, or beautiful Detroit.
All I'm saying is it's insane for someone from Hockey filled New England to pay to go to a Futures Camp and board a plane for a team they will never ever play for in a league they will mostl likely not play in.. and I guess it can be both, but 1 of them is wrong.

Haynon
Anon
Not anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon

So you went all these places for your kid to play hockey? Did he get better by traveling to exotic Chicago, or beautiful Detroit.
All I'm saying is it's insane for someone from Hockey filled New England to pay to go to a Futures Camp and board a plane for a team they will never ever play for in a league they will mostl likely not play in.. and I guess it can be both, but 1 of them is wrong.
Ummm, yeah, I think he did. You clearly don't know much about the game if you think watered down New England hockey is on a par with the HPHL and T1EHL programs. And they have these things called frequent flier miles and rewards programs - none of those trips required that I pay for a ticket for either of us. Or hotels.

Thee's a whole different world out there, if you let yourself experience it.

Anon
Haynon
Anon
Not anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon

Ummm, yeah, I think he did. You clearly don't know much about the game if you think watered down New England hockey is on a par with the HPHL and T1EHL programs. And they have these things called frequent flier miles and rewards programs - none of those trips required that I pay for a ticket for either of us. Or hotels.

Thee's a whole different world out there, if you let yourself experience it.

I hear Canada has some good hockey also, maybe you pack up and swing by there. Those leagues are great, but not realistic unless you plan on letting your 14/15 year old live out there with a billet, and if so you are 1% of the population, congrats! By the way, nice job tooting your horn Mr. frequent flyer miles who cant relate to New England guy.

There are basically 3 ways to get to the USHL from New England since the teams in the USHL really don't scout here: (1) have an announced college commitment, (2) make a National Development Camp, and/or (3) have the right last name.

The USHL combines and camps are all complete money grabs. Here's a true thing to keep in mind--all of the kids at the combines have been pre-ranked and their jersey numbers reflect that ranking. The lower numbers correspond to the higher rankings. If you look at the draft results you'll see that of the very few kids who attended a combine, only the highest ranking kids (lowest jersey numbers) are selected. You'll also see that pretty much all of those kids come from Michigan or Minnesota since that is where the USHL scouts live and that is where they scout. All of the kids from those areas have been seen multiple times and didn't even need to go to the Combine anyhow. Since NE kids have mostly never been seen before the combine they all get high jersey numbers and, outside of the 3 categories above, never get picked in the draft no matter how well they do because the team scouts generally leave after the first day anyhow and aren't going to draft your kid based on one viewing unless he's a complete stud, in which case he's in category 1 or 2 above anyhow.

Anon
There are basically 3 ways to get to the USHL from New England since the teams in the USHL really don't scout here: (1) have an announced college commitment, (2) make a National Development Camp, and/or (3) have the right last name.

The USHL combines and camps are all complete money grabs. Here's a true thing to keep in mind--all of the kids at the combines have been pre-ranked and their jersey numbers reflect that ranking. The lower numbers correspond to the higher rankings. If you look at the draft results you'll see that of the very few kids who attended a combine, only the highest ranking kids (lowest jersey numbers) are selected. You'll also see that pretty much all of those kids come from Michigan or Minnesota since that is where the USHL scouts live and that is where they scout. All of the kids from those areas have been seen multiple times and didn't even need to go to the Combine anyhow. Since NE kids have mostly never been seen before the combine they all get high jersey numbers and, outside of the 3 categories above, never get picked in the draft no matter how well they do because the team scouts generally leave after the first day anyhow and aren't going to draft your kid based on one viewing unless he's a complete stud, in which case he's in category 1 or 2 above anyhow.

Sorry, but you are incorrect. the USHL does scout New England

Not to any appreciable degree. USHL teams are at all the games in the top Midwest leagues. You might see a couple at the Flood Marr, but that's about it.

No team has the resources/staff to scout all over North America so they use local guys to help create a short list of players that they go see when they can. New England is no different.

anon
No team has the resources/staff to scout all over North America so they use local guys to help create a short list of players that they go see when they can. New England is no different.
AND, they do come east when there a reason to - like when the west coast T1EHL teams play on the east coast. I've met them.

AND, they also go to more Prep games than just Flood-Marr. I think more kids drafted the last couple of years have been from team that didn't play in Flood-Marr than did. It's not the only Prep tournament, after all.

BUT, if you believe they don't come here, and if you think your kid can play at that level (or, more likely with that caliber kid, your advisor advises you), isn't that a compelling reason to go see them by attending a combine or camp?

Anon
anon
AND, they do come east when there a reason to - like when the west coast T1EHL teams play on the east coast. I've met them.

AND, they also go to more Prep games than just Flood-Marr. I think more kids drafted the last couple of years have been from team that didn't play in Flood-Marr than did. It's not the only Prep tournament, after all.

BUT, if you believe they don't come here, and if you think your kid can play at that level (or, more likely with that caliber kid, your advisor advises you), isn't that a compelling reason to go see them by attending a combine or camp?

If you've been to a combine look at the program they give you. Then look to see which kids that were at the combine were drafted, their jersey number and where they're from. Known kids from the Midwest get all the low jersey numbers and are the ones selected in the draft. No no-name kid from NE is going to wow them enough after a couple hours to get drafted. The only kids from NE that get picked are already known (i.e., National camp, commits or family). All you have to do is look at who gets drafted from here to see that that is true. So no, IMO getting invited to go to a USHL combine is not a compelling enough reason to go. If you're not convinced, ask them what jersey number your kid will get. If it's higher than 6 for a defenseman or 12 for a forward Then they are just taking your money.

Anon
anon

All depends on the age/size/ability of the player. If he is 16/17 and is on the fringe then you are wasting your time and money. They are not filling out their rosters with younger players, they are looking for older more physically developed kids. So in that scenario, I'd wait till my kid was older/graduating so he would make more of a mark when he goes out there.

Holy smokes! Why do people that don't know how the league works insist on showing their ignorance?

Who said anything about a "no name kid from NE?" What is that, anyway? If your kid is a USHL caliber player, he has contacts that will make a call on his behalf. Boom! No longer a "no name."

I personally know three players from here that were drafted that are not committed, not family and didn't attend development camps.

The first USHL draft is at age 15, and kids from NE DO get drafted. And at 16. And at 17. It's about becoming an affiliate for the drafted players, not about making a roster.

I think I saw this week that there were 25 16 year olds on USHL active rosters this past season. Including two from NE that I'm aware of. I'm sure it was a pretty large number of 17 year olds.

And, it's rare for a 20 year old "rookie" to make a USHL roster. I'm sure it happens, but it's probably rarer than a 16 year old.

You'd better be looking to make an impression - in person - at 17, 18 at the latest.

anon
Holy smokes! Why do people that don't know how the league works insist on showing their ignorance?

Who said anything about a "no name kid from NE?" What is that, anyway? If your kid is a USHL caliber player, he has contacts that will make a call on his behalf. Boom! No longer a "no name."

I personally know three players from here that were drafted that are not committed, not family and didn't attend development camps.

The first USHL draft is at age 15, and kids from NE DO get drafted. And at 16. And at 17. It's about becoming an affiliate for the drafted players, not about making a roster.

I think I saw this week that there were 25 16 year olds on USHL active rosters this past season. Including two from NE that I'm aware of. I'm sure it was a pretty large number of 17 year olds.

And, it's rare for a 20 year old "rookie" to make a USHL roster. I'm sure it happens, but it's probably rarer than a 16 year old.

You'd better be looking to make an impression - in person - at 17, 18 at the latest.

One of the two 16 yo NE players was National Camp, Commit and 40 man camp. The other went to the Main Camp of his team and made it. Neither went to a Combine. Most NE kids make USHL teams after getting committed and after graduating from prep. You just have to look at the numbers to know that they're not scouting here. Are the second and third level players in the midwest better than our best players? Of course not. But they know our best kids are way more likely to stay home and go to prep than to throw high school away to play in Bumf--k, Iowa. So they don't scout here and wait for our kids to come out after they graduate from HS. And sorry, to the USHL teams you are a "no-name" unless you're committed, National camp or family (let's just call this group "The Chosen")--if you need someone to call for you, you are a no-name. Having your advisor call a USHL team to get you to their camp just means they did the advisor a favor. It doesn't make you one of the Chosen.

I've got an 04 who we decided that it wasn't worth playing in T1 Silver division and went back to town hockey. He received 3 Futures Camp invites to 3 different teams. His only future in hockey is the bench on his HS team but he loves the game. Not judging what anyone does, as my youngest is the exact opposite and I know how easy it is to get caught up in the hype, just passing along the info. Perfect example of data mining and email bursting to get more "futures" to the camp.

Most camps are predominantly fund raisers. That's just the fact of the matter. Juniors of all levels and now even the NCAA camps primarily serve to supplement coaches incomes, travel/recruiting budgets etc.

If you want your kid to go and see what it's like then go. Just don't think he's going to be "discovered". He will be discovered racking up points in prep, racking up points in fall midget hockey, getting invited to and doing well at USA hockey development camp. If he's not doing those things, and he hasn't been drafted or been contacted by colleges, then he's just not good enough and no camp is going to change that.

Most camps have 150+ players at them. Multiply that by the number of teams out there. There simply are not that many high end hockey players out there but it keeps the dream alive and many kids, especially for main camps, go from one to the next each summer. USHL teams are typically looking for 7-10 players each year, most of those slots will be filled by affiliate players or those coming from junor a.

Anon
Not to any appreciable degree. USHL teams are at all the games in the top Midwest leagues. You might see a couple at the Flood Marr, but that's about it.

Again, your wrong, each USHL team has a New England scout, and they draft a lot of kids from this region

Aanon
Anon

Again, your wrong, each USHL team has a New England scout, and they draft a lot of kids from this region
I gave up when the guy posted about his '04 getting e-mails. People are just making shti up. Feels like I'm back on the Kiddie Board.

anon
Aanon
Anon

I gave up when the guy posted about his '04 getting e-mails. People are just making shti up. Feels like I'm back on the Kiddie Board.

You're the one who should just give it up. Received 3 separate emails from the Waterloo Blackhawks for their Futures camp 3/8, 4/22, and 5/19 each one more urgent than the previous describing how spots were filling up. Unrelated, also an invite to the NAHL Austin Bruins futures camp. Like I said, my son is not anywhere near this level yet he's receiving invites. The only one who doesn't understand is you, and that's ok because you're still holding onto that dream for your kid and that's what you're supposed to do. Just don't tell people these things are anything else other than money raising situations.

anon
Aanon
Anon

Wait, you think you got this anonymous invite because someone thinks your kid can play??? We are all getting them, even my 04 who is decent but not ticketed to college hockey. Blue Chip probably sold my email to some USHL scout to get him to say that he will attend a Top 40 or something.

Everyone is getting this spam.

Got one from the STEEL 3 weeks ago.

Got this one from the Austin Bruins: "Want to be playing in the North American Hockey League? The Austin Bruins want to offer you an EXCLUSIVE invitation to attend our 2017 Futures Camp for prospective players and goalies born between 2002 and 2004."
Learn More
Our Invitation to You

Got this one a month ago:

Hello again future prospect of the USHL and parents,

This is our last email to remind you of our 2017 Futures Camp and Goalie Camp this upcoming summer at Young Arena in Waterloo, Iowa. The deadline to register for our camps is June 1st but they will fill up before then. If you are planning to attend, get your registrations in as quickly as possible.

UPDATES:
July 27-30 | 2002 Birth Year - 90% FULL
Only a handful of player spots remain. If you are a Forward, please sign up and take advantage of this opportunity! Defense and Goalie spots are full but we will accept waiting list requests.

August 3-6 | 2003/2004 Birth Year - 95% FULL
Only 3 forward spots remain and a handful of goalie openings. Defense spots are full but we will accept waiting list requests.

August 13-16 | Goalie Camp Only - only 1 spot remains out of 63! Register now and save the final spot before it's closed out. *If birth age appropriate, participants can register for the 2003/04 camp as a Goalie.

Register now based on your birth year using the links below.

anon

Got this one from the Austin Bruins: "Want to be playing in the North American Hockey League? The Austin Bruins want to offer you an EXCLUSIVE invitation to attend our 2017 Futures Camp for prospective players and goalies born between 2002 and 2004."
Learn More
Our Invitation to You

This is our last email to remind you of our 2017 Futures Camp and Goalie Camp this upcoming summer at Young Arena in Waterloo, Iowa. The deadline to register for our camps is June 1st but they will fill up before then. If you are planning to attend, get your registrations in as quickly as possible.

UPDATES:
Only a handful of player spots remain. If you are a Forward, please sign up and take advantage of this opportunity! Defense and Goalie spots are full but we will accept waiting list requests.

Only 3 forward spots remain and a handful of goalie openings. Defense spots are full but we will accept waiting list requests.

August 13-16 | Goalie Camp Only - only 1 spot remains out of 63! Register now and save the final spot before it's closed out. *If birth age appropriate, participants can register for the 2003/04 camp as a Goalie.

MY kid keeps getting one from Topeka Roadrunners (NAHL), and he played USHL and now Hockey East, yes spam

Aanon
anon

Learn More
Our Invitation to You

UPDATES:

MY kid keeps getting one from Topeka Roadrunners (NAHL), and he played USHL and now Hockey East, yes spam

We have gotten that same Topeka one about 15 times and they have even called son's cell phone 3 times. Annoying to say the least.

Kid in our town played D-I high school hockey two years ago and was probably the best defensemen in high school hockey locally. He skated where one of the USHL scouts works on occasion and went to their combines. Kid finished high school and went out to the midwest over the summer and attended a hockey camp put on by a couple USHL coaches. Both coaches wanted the kid as an 18 year old and said to his dad, "where has this kid been?" Funny he was skating right under a scout's nose for 2-3 years and the teams never heard of the kid. But you can fall into it if you're good and have some size.

anon
Kid in our town played D-I high school hockey two years ago and was probably the best defensemen in high school hockey locally. He skated where one of the USHL scouts works on occasion and went to their combines. Kid finished high school and went out to the midwest over the summer and attended a hockey camp put on by a couple USHL coaches. Both coaches wanted the kid as an 18 year old and said to his dad, "where has this kid been?" Funny he was skating right under a scout's nose for 2-3 years and the teams never heard of the kid. But you can fall into it if you're good and have some size.

I know this kid and I think he passed on all of it to go to college. I think someday he might regret it!

Here you go. Safe travels http://www.ushl.com/page/show/1209138-team-tryouts