The Official New England Ice Hockey DBoard 

Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: From Attendees of USHL Camps: Worthwhile or Waste of Resources?

Cause if you put that $2K into skill/strength development he might actually end up being good enough to play out there.

anon
Cause if you put that $2K into skill/strength development he might actually end up being good enough to play out there.

2K?? The camp my son went to last season was $300. Cheaper than any camp around here.

Nice, you walked out there, slept outside the rink and didn't eat for four days. Impressive.

anon
Nice, you walked out there, slept outside the rink and didn't eat for four days. Impressive.

I love when good information is provided along with a healthy yet positive spin. The wise a** comments typically crack me up just as long as they don't hijack the thread

My son went a few years back and loved it. He didn't make it to main camp but is currently playing ECAC hockey. Our youngest is an 03. I hope in the next few years he has the same drive to attend a few of these and see where it goes, but am truly surprised at the amount of parents who "think" their kid is "ready". I feel it is good for them to go, see what its like, and realize, they are not "ready".

anon
My son went a few years back and loved it. He didn't make it to main camp but is currently playing ECAC hockey. Our youngest is an 03. I hope in the next few years he has the same drive to attend a few of these and see where it goes, but am truly surprised at the amount of parents who "think" their kid is "ready". I feel it is good for them to go, see what its like, and realize, they are not "ready".

It certainly seems like the USHL is a "tough nut to crack". So many good players ( especially younger ones) are unable to make the cut or stick there. Then when they are finally ready the are considered an overage, which limits how many can be rostered on each team. Fortunately, like with your son, a player can still play college without playing in the USHL.

Overage are 20 year olds. There are no limits on 19's. If you kid is limited by overage then he graduated HS and played local junior for 2 years (unless he repeated or double repeated/PG like a few do) and if he is still looking for a place to play at 20, it's time to go to college and play club hockey if he still wants to play.

anon
Overage are 20 year olds. There are no limits on 19's. If you kid is limited by overage then he graduated HS and played local junior for 2 years (unless he repeated or double repeated/PG like a few do) and if he is still looking for a place to play at 20, it's time to go to college and play club hockey if he still wants to play.

If a kid is 20 and looking to make a USHL roster it is definitely not Div 1 or bust!! If he is a good student than NESCAC would be a great option followed by some of the other D3 programs. It does not have to be Club!

anon
anon

If a kid is 20 and looking to make a USHL roster it is definitely not Div 1 or bust!! If he is a good student than NESCAC would be a great option followed by some of the other D3 programs. It does not have to be Club!

If your kid is struggling to make a roster by that age then it's pretty much over. If your a nescac recruited player then your not going to be struggling for a place to play.

There are 60 NCAA D1 programs. There are 16 USHL clubs. Nearly every kid in that league has a D1 comittment. Don't think I've ever seen a line chart with a D3 school logo next to a kids name.

Exactly. If you cannot crack a USHL lineup than your college prospects are far from over. 2/3rd of D1 players did not play in the USHL never mind D3.

anon
anon
anon

If your kid is struggling to make a roster by that age then it's pretty much over. If your a nescac recruited player then your not going to be struggling for a place to play.
It isn't hard to find out that 20 year old rookies in the U are extremely rare. Even 19 is pushing it. Like every other org, they want you to be there for more than one year.

anon
anon

Club is actually a better fit for some kids who select difficult majors. Going to some dingy little D-3 state school and giving your life to the team and come out with a communications degree isn't better than reaching for a good school, playing club and getting an engineering or comp-sci degree. Many club players are coming out of junior programs now and the hockey in some cases isn't so bad.

anon
anon

It certainly seems like the USHL is a "tough nut to crack". So many good players ( especially younger ones) are unable to make the cut or stick there. Then when they are finally ready the are considered an overage, which limits how many can be rostered on each team. Fortunately, like with your son, a player can still play college without playing in the USHL.

US players are getting squeezed. USHL wants to be the premier junior league and so they are making it easier for Canadian's and Europeans to play and have opened up more slots for Canadians. NCAA gives US kids no preference. With USHL being the only T1/MJ league with the NCAA path, it is only going to get tougher. I think that's why you are now seeing a slight uptick in US kids going junior a.

anon

Thanks smart a$$. Used points to fly out, $60 a night hotel didn't break the bank. The camp itself was $300, travel and expenses are minimal, Dubuque is not manhattan after all.

This was good experience and certainly cheaper than most of the things we'd done around New England.

anon
I think most parents that have kids at this level understand it isn't either / or. Almost all are doing both. Even NTDP kids are doing heavy individual skills plus all the expense of travel to see your kid play.

Hockey is an expensive sport. You cannot justify the choices you make. The people that bring up $$$ are the ones that are struggling with it. Kind of like trying to justify the cost of a country club based on # of rounds vs. public golf. You can't win that argument.

anon
Do you guys feel like your son is mentally ready to make that type of move? I guess a 2000 would be more likely ready compared to 2002. It just seems like so many parents are begging for an opportunity not realizing how real it gets when your kid is living with another family, 700 miles away, and not happy 2 months into it. Careful what we wish for. Best of luck to your boys.

Mentally yes I believe he is ready for it. He just feels he needs another year locally to play Jr hockey as a step up to the league and didn't want to go out there and barely play although he might have been able to crack a roster somewhere. He'd rather spend another year developing and go out next year.

He's received a D1 offer already, so making a team at 17 wasn't a huge stretch, but we felt he needed one more year before he will be 100% ready to step in and play so we are keeping him home for the year in what we feel would be a better situation to develop. Not even worth talking about what that option is since it will be unjustly ridiculed around here but we feel it's the best option for him for this year with the ultimate goal being USHL next year.

anon
anon
Do you guys feel like your son is mentally ready to make that type of move? I guess a 2000 would be more likely ready compared to 2002. It just seems like so many parents are begging for an opportunity not realizing how real it gets when your kid is living with another family, 700 miles away, and not happy 2 months into it. Careful what we wish for. Best of luck to your boys.

Mentally yes I believe he is ready for it. He just feels he needs another year locally to play Jr hockey as a step up to the league and didn't want to go out there and barely play although he might have been able to crack a roster somewhere. He'd rather spend another year developing and go out next year.

He's received a D1 offer already, so making a team at 17 wasn't a huge stretch, but we felt he needed one more year before he will be 100% ready to step in and play so we are keeping him home for the year in what we feel would be a better situation to develop. Not even worth talking about what that option is since it will be unjustly ridiculed around here but we feel it's the best option for him for this year with the ultimate goal being USHL next year.

I just had that same type of conversation with my kid - he likely will have to make a choice this fall about being rostered but likely getting little playing time or staying where he is. I fully expect the coaching staffs of both organizations will be receptive to doing whatever will help him develop more. He's on a strong trajectory and will be a better player next year than he is this year, but even more so with playing time.

And don't let the idiots keep you from having legit discussions here. As was pointed out already, the ones dissing the U camps are the ones who either couldn't afford the scratch, don't do much to help their kids, or whose kids can't truly play at that level.

Anon
anon
anon

I just had that same type of conversation with my kid - he likely will have to make a choice this fall about being rostered but likely getting little playing time or staying where he is. I fully expect the coaching staffs of both organizations will be receptive to doing whatever will help him develop more. He's on a strong trajectory and will be a better player next year than he is this year, but even more so with playing time.

And don't let the idiots keep you from having legit discussions here. As was pointed out already, the ones dissing the U camps are the ones who either couldn't afford the scratch, don't do much to help their kids, or whose kids can't truly play at that level.

But part of legit discussions include realities that some don't want to face so you call it negativity. USHL tryout camps are primarily fund raisers. If your kid is not an affiliate drafted player or one coming in on an open invite where you have had numbers points of contacts with the coaching staff regarding his prospects for making the team (ie. they want him), then you can look at it any which way suits you. A good expereince (positive), a waste of money (negative) or both.

anon
Anon
anon
anon

But part of legit discussions include realities that some don't want to face so you call it negativity. USHL tryout camps are primarily fund raisers. If your kid is not an affiliate drafted player or one coming in on an open invite where you have had numbers points of contacts with the coaching staff regarding his prospects for making the team (ie. they want him), then you can look at it any which way suits you. A good expereince (positive), a waste of money (negative) or both.
It can't be both. If it is a good experience it can't be a waste of money.

Broaden your thinking. Don't think of a U tryout as a failure just because he didn't make the team. It can benefit your kid on the team he's on.

It can't be both? What if it cost double? Triple? Same experience, same time on ice, same level of hockey. At some point the experience is still great but it's not worth it. Everyone has to make their own call because you really won't know or get a straight answer from anyone because no one will be honest. No one will come back and say what a waste. They won't tell you that their kid was the 10th forward or was on a line with the same kids who wouldn't pass the puck all weekend. They will just say it was good to see where he was at.

From my personal experience, if your kid is not on the radar already and has no change of playing in the all star games, don't go. Wait till he can play on that level. That's when you see if he can really make a team and play at that leval. Those are also the games where all of the NHL and college coaches are watching. If he's underage and going just because you got an email, your probably wasting your time and money, unless of course you are just curious.

anon
It can't be both? What if it cost double? Triple? Same experience, same time on ice, same level of hockey. At some point the experience is still great but it's not worth it. Everyone has to make their own call because you really won't know or get a straight answer from anyone because no one will be honest. No one will come back and say what a waste. They won't tell you that their kid was the 10th forward or was on a line with the same kids who wouldn't pass the puck all weekend. They will just say it was good to see where he was at.

From my personal experience, if your kid is not on the radar already and has no change of playing in the all star games, don't go. Wait till he can play on that level. That's when you see if he can really make a team and play at that leval. Those are also the games where all of the NHL and college coaches are watching. If he's underage and going just because you got an email, your probably wasting your time and money, unless of course you are just curious.

"Not worth it" is very different from a "waste of money." Inequal value for the cost isn't the same as no value received.

Now, address the OP's original request: What is your experience based on? Did your kid go to a camp?

My guess is no, because by the time your kid is at this level he knows you can't hog the puck. You would know that the level of play required involvement of all five skaters. This is not a Pee Wee tryout we are talking about here. You would know, as the poster that actually did go stated, that they roll the lines equally.

You would also know that the 10th forward at a Junior hockey tryout is going to see plenty of ice.

So, if your "personal experience" is not from actually going to a camp, why would anyone put any stock in it?

Semantics. Not worth it is the same as a waste of money. Doesn't mean zero value but it means if you could do it over, you wouldn't, but whatever.

Yes I've observed two camps. The talent on the ice varies greatly. There are 160-200 kids at the camp. There are also other USHL clubs having camps at the same time also with 160 to 200 kids out there. There arent that many good players out there. Maybe if your kid is younger all the kids look better because they are bigger/faster. But once your used to watching that level you'll see that there are a whole bunch who just aren't that good. You act like at a tryout they all have the same skill. All have had good coaching. And yes there are kids who try to showcase themselves so no, not everyone moves the puck when they are supposed to. This is a junior tryout, not the NHL and they are kids. Some go from tryout to tryout and when your desparte to crack into the league, you'll do what you think you need to stand out. Passing the puck to a 16 year old winger who is going to get battered along the wall and turn the puck over going the other way isn't the best way to showcase your abilities. But if you have been to any you would know this.

You would also know that during the prelim games often times the coaches can be seen meeting with returning players in locker rooms or lobby of the rink and not watching the games. Then as the college coaches and nhl scouts start to arrive they are off networking. The only games with the undivided attention of coaches and scouts are the all star games. They are the only ones that matter. These clubs are looking for handful of players. They know their returners. They know their affiliates who are ready to step into the roster and have already comitted to come out for the next season. They are looking for a couple more. Once its down to 40 players they can better judge because the younger kids who arenet ready and the older kids who can't play are gone.

Don't really care if you put stock in it or not.

anon
Semantics. Not worth it is the same as a waste of money. Doesn't mean zero value but it means if you could do it over, you wouldn't, but whatever.

Yes I've observed two camps. The talent on the ice varies greatly. There are 160-200 kids at the camp. There are also other USHL clubs having camps at the same time also with 160 to 200 kids out there. There arent that many good players out there. Maybe if your kid is younger all the kids look better because they are bigger/faster. But once your used to watching that level you'll see that there are a whole bunch who just aren't that good. You act like at a tryout they all have the same skill. All have had good coaching. And yes there are kids who try to showcase themselves so no, not everyone moves the puck when they are supposed to. This is a junior tryout, not the NHL and they are kids. Some go from tryout to tryout and when your desparte to crack into the league, you'll do what you think you need to stand out. Passing the puck to a 16 year old winger who is going to get battered along the wall and turn the puck over going the other way isn't the best way to showcase your abilities. But if you have been to any you would know this.

You would also know that during the prelim games often times the coaches can be seen meeting with returning players in locker rooms or lobby of the rink and not watching the games. Then as the college coaches and nhl scouts start to arrive they are off networking. The only games with the undivided attention of coaches and scouts are the all star games. They are the only ones that matter. These clubs are looking for handful of players. They know their returners. They know their affiliates who are ready to step into the roster and have already comitted to come out for the next season. They are looking for a couple more. Once its down to 40 players they can better judge because the younger kids who arenet ready and the older kids who can't play are gone.

Don't really care if you put stock in it or not.
Main Camp for the team we skated with was 80. 77 last year. Pretty far cry from 150 - 200.

But, I'll never claim to know everything about everything. Guess I'll add to the list to either research or ask how many are invited for next year. I suppose if my kid was one of 150 - 200 I'd feel differently, too. Just not my experience.

Most clubs have 8 team main camp. A few have 4 main, 4 futures running at the same time but what's the diff. Pretty sure everyone can take in the face that in any hockey event they have been to there is a drop off in talent, IQ etc. The thought that a tryout camp is all Tier 1 junior level play is not close to accurate.

Just getting our feet wet with this. What is an affiliate player?

Drafted and maintained on the clubs protected list. If your kid is drafted and kept on the teams list, he can't play for any other USHL team.

Futures drafts are 10 players. All 10 are protected for a year. After a year I think the club can protect 4 or 6 of those so some will be dropped but are then elibigle again to be drafted in the phase 2 draft. Who is kept on the list depends on projections as well as the family giving an indication of a willingness to send their kid out there.

Not uncommon for players to be drafted in the USHL more than once. Once in the futures draft and then again in the phase 2 draft a couple of years down the road.

www.ushl.com/news_article/show/692675-2016-30-man-rosters-and-affiliates

Teams will have a 30 man roster in July and that pares down to 23 by Sep or the start of the season. So 7 will be cut or move to the affiliate list.

Affiliate lists are 18 deep. In general each year they consiste of 10 futures that were just drafted in May, Six from the prior years futures draft, and four others.

So this July most teams will have an affiliate list of ten '01's, six '00's and two '99's.

Thanks for the info. Good discussion.