The Official New England Ice Hockey DBoard 

Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Off Ice training for 14 year old

Don't really feel like dumping money into a gym or renting hours of ice. What are some good off ice training for a 14 year old? Currently doing body weight exercises:
Push ups, Pull ups, Squats, Lunges, short sprints, swims in our pool daily for fun... the usual kid stuff.
I see these kids who haven't stopped and they haven't gained either, they look tired.
I figure he has been skating for 11 years, taking 3 months away from the ice isn't going to hurt but now double guessing myself.

Re: Off Ice training for 14 year old

All of those are good, but if he plans to be serious about HS Hockey be will need to start doing strength training this year or next, especially lower body.

Strength training is hard to know how to do right and effectively without someone to teach you. Ends up being a waste of time, plus risk of injury.

Look for articles at USA Hockey website. Also several good books out there on sport-specific strength training for $10 on Amazon. Then you can make your own decision what kind of gym he needs. Might even be one at his school.

Some if those exercises can be done with a plate to make them harder. Not expense at Dick's or maybe even Play It Again Sports.

Anon
All of those are good, but if he plans to be serious about HS Hockey be will need to start doing strength training this year or next, especially lower body.

Strength training is hard to know how to do right and effectively without someone to teach you. Ends up being a waste of time, plus risk of injury.

Look for articles at USA Hockey website. Also several good books out there on sport-specific strength training for $10 on Amazon. Then you can make your own decision what kind of gym he needs. Might even be one at his school.

Some if those exercises can be done with a plate to make them harder. Not expense at Dick's or maybe even Play It Again Sports.

Yoga, Pilates are great for athletes. Develop the core and will help with strength,conditioning , flexibility gains while minimizing injuries.

Like TB12, it is all about staying pliable/flexible while developing core strength. Also, proper hydration is essential for athletic performance.

anon
Anon

Yoga, Pilates are great for athletes. Develop the core and will help with strength,conditioning , flexibility gains while minimizing injuries.

Like TB12, it is all about staying pliable/flexible while developing core strength. Also, proper hydration is essential for athletic performance.
Yoga is great for Hockey. It complements strength training, it doesn't replace it.

anon
Anon

"TB12?" Do you realize what a ridiculous fan boy you look like? No adult should every utter that phrase.

And, unless your kid is a 39 year old, 6'4" elite football player, his needs are quite a bit different from "TB12."

TB12 or any other strengthen/flexibility training should be started as soon as the kid starts playing sports. There is NOTHING WRONG with it, it's encouraged. The problem for most is the cost. Weight training is a very small part of becoming an Elite Athlete. My son plays Elite FED hockey and was introduce to off ice training at 6 years old. He loves it, all they do is stretch, jump and balance. In his mind he is doing the stuff the pros do so he works hard at it. The absolute very least your child will grow to be physically fit. Win-Win.

anon
anon
Anon

"TB12?" Do you realize what a ridiculous fan boy you look like? No adult should every utter that phrase.

And, unless your kid is a 39 year old, 6'4" elite football player, his needs are quite a bit different from "TB12."

I have never read his book nor followed his workout. However, his premise ( as i understand it) - Pliability, Proper Hydration along with a strong core aligns with my personal beliefs. I said TB 12 because I thought it would resonate. I should have been prepared for "You".

Better you throw on the old cut off, gray sweatshirt and take Jr out to the garage and throw up a few reps on the bench. You can show him how real athletes work out. Maybe throw some old tape in the VCR while you're at it!

anon
anon
anon
Anon

I have never read his book nor followed his workout. However, his premise ( as i understand it) - Pliability, Proper Hydration along with a strong core aligns with my personal beliefs. I said TB 12 because I thought it would resonate. I should have been prepared for "You".

Better you throw on the old cut off, gray sweatshirt and take Jr out to the garage and throw up a few reps on the bench. You can show him how real athletes work out. Maybe throw some old tape in the VCR while you're at it!

Wow, what a fraud.

If you never read his book, how do you know what the premise is? How can you encourage someone to have their kid do something based on advice that you've never even read?

Your personal beliefs? Based on what? Care to share your background in hockey?
Competitive sports? Athletic training? Nutrition? Or are those "personal beliefs" also based on something you never actually read?

But even more than any of that, you know why I know you're a fraud?

The book isn't even out yet.

anon
anon
anon
anon
Anon

Wow, what a fraud.

If you never read his book, how do you know what the premise is? How can you encourage someone to have their kid do something based on advice that you've never even read?

Your personal beliefs? Based on what? Care to share your background in hockey?
Competitive sports? Athletic training? Nutrition? Or are those "personal beliefs" also based on something you never actually read?

But even more than any of that, you know why I know you're a fraud?

The book isn't even out yet.

TB12 is a training concept. Brady has talked about it openly for years now. Unique but pretty simplistic, kinda like you!

Share my background ? Why, for what? I made a simple statement. Google it. You decide yourself Sammy Simpleton.

Now go throw on the grey sweats and read the book. I will save my money and laugh at you.

anon
anon
Anon

Not the op or responder. TB12 is nick name for fun. Like Larry Legend. Do I have to spell birth certificate name u A$$hole? Preesh. What a jerk jumping all over TB12. Any normal person knew what it meant. Adults can use it too.

Anon
anon
anon
Anon

Not the op or responder. TB12 is nick name for fun. Like Larry Legend. Do I have to spell birth certificate name u A$$hole? Preesh. What a jerk jumping all over TB12. Any normal person knew what it meant. Adults can use it too.

Exactly! It was meant to differentiate between the person (Tom Brady) and the training concept (TB12).

I played sports into college, have never, ever worn a players game jersey or been star struck enough to ask an athlete for his autograph. I would rather go see a high school or college sporting event than pay through the roof for a pro event.

Furthest thing from a fanboy or Jock sniffer.

Anon
Anon
anon
anon
Anon

Exactly! It was meant to differentiate between the person (Tom Brady) and the training concept (TB12).

I played sports into college, have never, ever worn a players game jersey or been star struck enough to ask an athlete for his autograph. I would rather go see a high school or college sporting event than pay through the roof for a pro event.

Is JE11 a training concept,too? Make sure you rush out an buy his childrens' story book! Probably some good tips on storing your nuts.

"TB12" is a marketing concept. A self-created brand built to leverage his success, to make him more money than he already has. Storefront in Patriots Place. $200 cookbook.

And, apparently, it's working, because all the gullible fan boys in the area have bought in.

A "GOAT" is a farm animal. Or, in sports, the cause of the Cubs curse. I'll bet you drop that at every opportunity, too.

You're all sooooo cool.

Get the hooks out of your mouths.

anon
Anon
Anon
anon
anon
Anon

Is JE11 a training concept,too? Make sure you rush out an buy his childrens' story book! Probably some good tips on storing your nuts.

"TB12" is a marketing concept. A self-created brand built to leverage his success, to make him more money than he already has. Storefront in Patriots Place. $200 cookbook.

And, apparently, it's working, because all the gullible fan boys in the area have bought in.

A "GOAT" is a farm animal. Or, in sports, the cause of the Cubs curse. I'll bet you drop that at every opportunity, too.

You're all sooooo cool.

Get the hooks out of your mouths.

"That's right son. You tell that mean ocean"

anon
Don't really feel like dumping money into a gym or renting hours of ice. What are some good off ice training for a 14 year old? Currently doing body weight exercises:
Push ups, Pull ups, Squats, Lunges, short sprints, swims in our pool daily for fun... the usual kid stuff.
I see these kids who haven't stopped and they haven't gained either, they look tired.
I figure he has been skating for 11 years, taking 3 months away from the ice isn't going to hurt but now double guessing myself.

Certainly stepping away from the ice is a non issue but I would put that money into a summer strength training program. It's hard for anyone to stay on a program by themselves. They don't know what they are doing right or wrong and certainly can't push themselves like a trainer would. Getting in a group with peers is a motivator and things are measured so while the bicep in the mirror might not look different in 8 weeks,, he will see results in strenght/stamina/flexibility measurements. Usually summer group programs are affordable although at this point it might be difficult getting into one.

Definatley suggest 1x per week in the fall/winter/spring if possible as they learn proper exercise and it gets him in the door of a facility so usually he will get first crack at signing up for next summer if it happens to be one that sells out quickly.

My kids been at EPS in foxboro for a couple of years now and they do a great job and I'm sure that others can chime in on good programs in other areas depending on where you live. Certainly a motivator for a kid who says he wants to play college/pro to see so many college/pro/NFL guys working out there.

An ex NHL guy told me a while ago that a lot of kids get worse (or peak) in their teens/puberty because they keep skating so much but don't build muscle. The body is growing and with about 6-8 lbs per inch of height in puberty, they will lack the muscle to move their bigger frame if they are not doing the appropriate amount of strength training. So in and around puberty the ratio of hockey v. strength training needs to shift towards muscle development.

Go visit 2-3 gyms where hockey guys go in your area and get the download from the trainers.

For the kid I'd say don't worry about the time off of the ice. It can rejuvenate the skating and the kid. Three things I've learned having kids go through many years of hockey - 1) work on the foot speed and agility - it's basically free. 2) shoulder strength through isometric & resistance bands to avoid serious shoulder injuries which will come when checking and playing with older / larger kids (H.S.) and 3) edgework, edgework, edgework as skating is THE thing that matters the most.

As for 'TB12 ' it is pretty hilarious that anyone would follow anything the worst athlete in the NFL has to say. Anyone in the NFL - including 360 pound offensive linemen - that runs a 5.3 or 5.4 40 yard dash should politely sit down and shut up. Tom Brady as far as an 'athlete' is an absolute joke. He's made his career by a) lucking into a great situation, b) having his only NFL coach being the best coach perhaps in NFL history and c) reading defenses.

anon
For the kid I'd say don't worry about the time off of the ice. It can rejuvenate the skating and the kid. Three things I've learned having kids go through many years of hockey - 1) work on the foot speed and agility - it's basically free. 2) shoulder strength through isometric & resistance bands to avoid serious shoulder injuries which will come when checking and playing with older / larger kids (H.S.) and 3) edgework, edgework, edgework as skating is THE thing that matters the most.

As for 'TB12 ' it is pretty hilarious that anyone would follow anything the worst athlete in the NFL has to say. Anyone in the NFL - including 360 pound offensive linemen - that runs a 5.3 or 5.4 40 yard dash should politely sit down and shut up. Tom Brady as far as an 'athlete' is an absolute joke. He's made his career by a) lucking into a great situation, b) having his only NFL coach being the best coach perhaps in NFL history and c) reading defenses.

He was drafted by MLB as a catcher. Went in the 10th round but would have been top 3 rounds had he not stated he was going to play college football.

True, he does not run fast, jump high. He is not strong or chiseled like Jamarcus Russell or so many other work out wonders who have come and gone. Larry Bird was a similar athlete!! All he has done is played at the highest level into his 40's and remained healthy throughout. The way he can bounce back and compete at this level for so many years can be attribute on his diet and training regiment which I would say is much more relevant than how fast he can run or how high he can jump. "Being The Best You Can Be" "Getting The Most Out of Your Ability"

Now go out and find the Jamarcus Russell work out book. Watch your bench double in 30 days!

Brady is hardly exceptional for a 40 year old who works out. Go to the Boston Marathon or almost any triathlon and you will see hundreds of guys who would literally (as the 17 year old girls say) run circles around flat-foot Brady. Remember when they found the BALCO guy's phone number in Brady's phone? And not the phone he destroyed that had all of the incriminating evidence in his latest cheating scandal. How amazing is it to be linked to the biggest steroid scandal in sports (Barry Bonds) and not be able to throw the ball 45 yards in the air as most high school QB's can.

OP here..so hate Tom Brady and my son will get stronger..great advice, Thanks

anon
Brady is hardly exceptional for a 40 year old who works out. Go to the Boston Marathon or almost any triathlon and you will see hundreds of guys who would literally (as the 17 year old girls say) run circles around flat-foot Brady. Remember when they found the BALCO guy's phone number in Brady's phone? And not the phone he destroyed that had all of the incriminating evidence in his latest cheating scandal. How amazing is it to be linked to the biggest steroid scandal in sports (Barry Bonds) and not be able to throw the ball 45 yards in the air as most high school QB's can.

OMG. Please tell me you are trolling??? Did you just compare one of the greatest quarterbacks ever to play the game. An athlete who was drafted in a second sport ( Baseball), who at 40 yrs of age is still playing at the highest level with some pasty white, 5'6" 160lb banker from Dover who can "run circles around him"?? Some guy who probably never played a varsity sport in high school with arguably the greatest qb in NFL history who also had a strong chance of playing MLB?

You don't really believe that do you?

anon

Good analogy. The understanding we have today of science, nutrition and training makes competing as an older athlete much easier. I ran a faster 5K at 50 than I did at 30 because I understood more abut training. And that was 10 years ago. A buddy of mine just ran Boston in 3:00 - at age 60.

There is no "secret" Tom Brady has discovered. He's just marketing it using his brand awareness.

Anon
anon

Good analogy. The understanding we have today of science, nutrition and training makes competing as an older athlete much easier. I ran a faster 5K at 50 than I did at 30 because I understood more abut training. And that was 10 years ago. A buddy of mine just ran Boston in 3:00 - at age 60.

There is no "secret" Tom Brady has discovered. He's just marketing it using his brand awareness.

Traditional Strength & Conditioning has many flaws to it. You see many more injuries today because of added stress put on the tendons/ligaments and joints. Brady's training focuses more on other fitness components that has kept him younger and healthier and has helped extend his career.

I will not be going out and buying the book because it will not tell me anything I don't already know. Yeah for your buddy. Running is Lame!

What do you mean by "traditional"? I'm sure Brady is more than happy to encourage his offensive linemen to bench press and bulk up. You train for what you are going to do. There was a video on Brady back when he was still Bledsoe's backup. He said Belichick told him he better put on 30 lbs or he will be out selling insurance and so he did. How he did so quickly (uh hmm) is another story but his needs back then are different than today. Kids needs are different than pro's etc.

anon

Maybe the Jets will finally find their star quarterback next year and make a run so you can be a little less sad. I hope you find as much happiness and enjoyment in following sports as I have over the last 16 years.

Who cares? So we get to watch a great team with a great coaching staff and a physically below average QB...who cares? I do like Brady more now that his wife has him out earning more $.

Best investment to develop core strenght is a pull up bar. Pull up bar,push ups, dips and sit ups are keys for the mid to upper body core. Google lower body conditioning for hockey and you will find a lot of training and stretching exercises for strenght and flexibility to help lengthen the stride. Lower body might take a little more research and finding the best routine for your son.

I love how a simple question on strength & conditioning quickly devolves into a debate on Brady as an athlete, man I love the dBoard. To the OP, you have some good advice already, as many have pointed out, pull-up bar, roman chair if you want, some bands or suspension gym and son has the tools needed. I would add though that it doesn't hurt get 1-1 time with a personal trainer to work on technique and form. It doesn't cost too much if you are only going every couple of weeks over the summer.

anon
I love how a simple question on strength & conditioning quickly devolves into a debate on Brady as an athlete, man I love the dBoard. To the OP, you have some good advice already, as many have pointed out, pull-up bar, roman chair if you want, some bands or suspension gym and son has the tools needed. I would add though that it doesn't hurt get 1-1 time with a personal trainer to work on technique and form. It doesn't cost too much if you are only going every couple of weeks over the summer.

OP here. Thanks. Yes, some good advice that we are already acting on. Picked up a pull up bar and some resistance bans from a friend and found a local instructor who will see him for an initial visit and few visits over the next 2 months to make sure he is staying on track. I knew the thread would get sidetracked somehow just never thought it would turn into a Tom Brady love/hate fest.

According to phone records seized by the federal government, Brady twice contacted Barry Bonds' nefarious trainer Greg Anderson in 2002 to inquire about his "services." The meeting between "Giselle's Girl" and the Bay Area's most notorious pusher of synthetic testosterone allegedly never materialized.

Still, if you look at the matter objectively, the whole situation reeks of potential scandal.

Brady may not have actually met with Anderson, but the question remains: Why seek out Anderson in the first place? I am entirely cognizant that I am jaded and steep in cynicism, but I refuse to believe that Brady, who has gained 35 lbs. since his rookie season in 2000, innocently and naively stumbled upon Anderson without knowing his rogue background.

Are we to believe that Brady conveniently called Anderson, of all people, to devise a plan to better strengthen his calves?

anon
According to phone records seized by the federal government, Brady twice contacted Barry Bonds' nefarious trainer Greg Anderson in 2002 to inquire about his "services." The meeting between "Giselle's Girl" and the Bay Area's most notorious pusher of synthetic testosterone allegedly never materialized.

Still, if you look at the matter objectively, the whole situation reeks of potential scandal.

Brady may not have actually met with Anderson, but the question remains: Why seek out Anderson in the first place? I am entirely cognizant that I am jaded and steep in cynicism, but I refuse to believe that Brady, who has gained 35 lbs. since his rookie season in 2000, innocently and naively stumbled upon Anderson without knowing his rogue background.

Are we to believe that Brady conveniently called Anderson, of all people, to devise a plan to better strengthen his calves?
Is he divorcing Giselle and marrying your daughter? No? Then who the F cares what he did 15 years ago?

Sometimes I wonder where they get the idiot callers for sports talk radio from. Now I know.

anon

Get over it..Hillary lost!

Nice to see all the Brady fan boys get their back hair up.

anon
Nice to see all the Brady fan boys get their back hair up.
Not a Brady fan boy, more of as WhoGivesARatsAssWhatProfessionalAthletesDoThatDoesn'tAffectMeWhatsoever fan boy.

The discussion was on following Brady's program. The point is you can't follow his program if you don't follow it from the beginning.

The point is you can't follow his program if you don't get extremely lucky in life and find the right place at the right time.

anon
The point is you can't follow his program if you don't get extremely lucky in life and find the right place at the right time.

Say what now?

anon

That's right . You need to teach your kid how to build in his excuses ahead of time. How about you highlight his ability to dedicate himself and to persevere and never give up.

He has two scholarship offers out of high school and had to prove himself at Michigan every single day. Even as he had every chance to feel slighted and become toxic he did not. His teamates lives him and respected him.

Drew Henson came in as a frosh already in the cover of SI. They tried everything to give him the starting job. This journey made Brady stronger and helped mold him into the player and person he is today while you are " Uncle Rico "

I am no fan not and could care less about football. If I say him on the street it would catch my attention but that is about it. However to not appreciate what he has done is ludicrous!

Anon
anon

That's right . You need to teach your kid how to build in his excuses ahead of time. How about you highlight his ability to dedicate himself and to persevere and never give up.

He has two scholarship offers out of high school and had to prove himself at Michigan every single day. Even as he had every chance to feel slighted and become toxic he did not. His teamates lives him and respected him.

Drew Henson came in as a frosh already in the cover of SI. They tried everything to give him the starting job. This journey made Brady stronger and helped mold him into the player and person he is today while you are " Uncle Rico "

I am no fan not and could care less about football. If I say him on the street it would catch my attention but that is about it. However to not appreciate what he has done is ludicrous!

So your not a fan but your getting hysterical protecting him from words no one said.

anon
Anon
anon

So your not a fan but your getting hysterical protecting him from words no one said.

I have been following the thread. My response was in small part towards the previous poster and in large part all of the Brady haters. He is lucky. Its the coaching. Not a great athlete blah blah blah

Anon
anon

Gisele! An honor having you on the d board.

When my son was 14 he grew 4" that summer. The body gets soar from the growth spurt so if he is growing I would suggest resistance tube training. I remember signing him up for the off ice summer workout, 3 days a week, 80 minutes per day. I expected him to be hitting weights, Olympic lifts, etc.. I walked in the 3rd day and his coach had him doing plyo exercises, stretching, and these tubes. I was ****** until I talked to the trainer and he explained the physiology of what his body was going through. he coach actually cut it to 2 days per week at the gym and 1 day of full body stretching.

He started in June and by the time school came around, he was 5' 10", strong, flexible, and explosive. I guess my point for the OP, go to a professional with a goal in mind and have an understanding of what your kids body is going through in order to get the right plan for your kid. Good luck. Its never to late to start, a good professional will give you a plan for off season and in season workouts for gains and to prevent injury.

PS- Our Dog, our Fish, and our Bird are all named Brady.

anon
When my son was 14 he grew 4" that summer. The body gets soar from the growth spurt so if he is growing I would suggest resistance tube training. I remember signing him up for the off ice summer workout, 3 days a week, 80 minutes per day. I expected him to be hitting weights, Olympic lifts, etc.. I walked in the 3rd day and his coach had him doing plyo exercises, stretching, and these tubes. I was ****** until I talked to the trainer and he explained the physiology of what his body was going through. he coach actually cut it to 2 days per week at the gym and 1 day of full body stretching.

He started in June and by the time school came around, he was 5' 10", strong, flexible, and explosive. I guess my point for the OP, go to a professional with a goal in mind and have an understanding of what your kids body is going through in order to get the right plan for your kid. Good luck. Its never to late to start, a good professional will give you a plan for off season and in season workouts for gains and to prevent injury.

PS- Our Dog, our Fish, and our Bird are all named Brady.

I am guessing that your bird, fish, and dog all cheat then ........

I actually thought for 1 minute all of this thread was going to be on topic...Nope.

I am guessing that your bird, fish, dog and kid are all on human growth hormone.

I am guessing this guy stumbled onto this Board thinking it was an I Give a **** About Your Personal Life site.

anon
I am guessing this guy stumbled onto this Board thinking it was an I Give a **** About Your Personal Life site.

Hey, at least he brought something to the table. Try not to be distracted by his last sentence and you'll see he provides some good advice.

anon
anon

Hey, at least he brought something to the table. Try not to be distracted by his last sentence and you'll see he provides some good advice.
Yeah, but it's like a guy that delivers a killer pickup line followed by "BTW, I'm married."

"BTW, I'm married and my wife and I are on HGH"

^^I see nothing wrong with that..Do you know how HGH works or do you just think its bad because people tell you that? You would probably feel much better everyday you tried it.

you're all mega idiots paying for fancy gym training. all the best athletes like serena williams and jackie chan in rush hour just do push ups in their drive way rain or shine and get very huge and explosive muscles that way.

Yeah, Serena Williams is a real poster child of holistic training. Get a clue it's all about the pharmacy.

why are you obsessed with posters of childs and pharmacys and blues clues? idiot