Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Off Ice training for 14 year old

Best investment to develop core strenght is a pull up bar. Pull up bar,push ups, dips and sit ups are keys for the mid to upper body core. Google lower body conditioning for hockey and you will find a lot of training and stretching exercises for strenght and flexibility to help lengthen the stride. Lower body might take a little more research and finding the best routine for your son.

I love how a simple question on strength & conditioning quickly devolves into a debate on Brady as an athlete, man I love the dBoard. To the OP, you have some good advice already, as many have pointed out, pull-up bar, roman chair if you want, some bands or suspension gym and son has the tools needed. I would add though that it doesn't hurt get 1-1 time with a personal trainer to work on technique and form. It doesn't cost too much if you are only going every couple of weeks over the summer.

anon
I love how a simple question on strength & conditioning quickly devolves into a debate on Brady as an athlete, man I love the dBoard. To the OP, you have some good advice already, as many have pointed out, pull-up bar, roman chair if you want, some bands or suspension gym and son has the tools needed. I would add though that it doesn't hurt get 1-1 time with a personal trainer to work on technique and form. It doesn't cost too much if you are only going every couple of weeks over the summer.

OP here. Thanks. Yes, some good advice that we are already acting on. Picked up a pull up bar and some resistance bans from a friend and found a local instructor who will see him for an initial visit and few visits over the next 2 months to make sure he is staying on track. I knew the thread would get sidetracked somehow just never thought it would turn into a Tom Brady love/hate fest.

According to phone records seized by the federal government, Brady twice contacted Barry Bonds' nefarious trainer Greg Anderson in 2002 to inquire about his "services." The meeting between "Giselle's Girl" and the Bay Area's most notorious pusher of synthetic testosterone allegedly never materialized.

Still, if you look at the matter objectively, the whole situation reeks of potential scandal.

Brady may not have actually met with Anderson, but the question remains: Why seek out Anderson in the first place? I am entirely cognizant that I am jaded and steep in cynicism, but I refuse to believe that Brady, who has gained 35 lbs. since his rookie season in 2000, innocently and naively stumbled upon Anderson without knowing his rogue background.

Are we to believe that Brady conveniently called Anderson, of all people, to devise a plan to better strengthen his calves?

anon
According to phone records seized by the federal government, Brady twice contacted Barry Bonds' nefarious trainer Greg Anderson in 2002 to inquire about his "services." The meeting between "Giselle's Girl" and the Bay Area's most notorious pusher of synthetic testosterone allegedly never materialized.

Still, if you look at the matter objectively, the whole situation reeks of potential scandal.

Brady may not have actually met with Anderson, but the question remains: Why seek out Anderson in the first place? I am entirely cognizant that I am jaded and steep in cynicism, but I refuse to believe that Brady, who has gained 35 lbs. since his rookie season in 2000, innocently and naively stumbled upon Anderson without knowing his rogue background.

Are we to believe that Brady conveniently called Anderson, of all people, to devise a plan to better strengthen his calves?
Is he divorcing Giselle and marrying your daughter? No? Then who the F cares what he did 15 years ago?

Sometimes I wonder where they get the idiot callers for sports talk radio from. Now I know.

anon

Get over it..Hillary lost!

Nice to see all the Brady fan boys get their back hair up.

anon
Nice to see all the Brady fan boys get their back hair up.
Not a Brady fan boy, more of as WhoGivesARatsAssWhatProfessionalAthletesDoThatDoesn'tAffectMeWhatsoever fan boy.

The discussion was on following Brady's program. The point is you can't follow his program if you don't follow it from the beginning.

The point is you can't follow his program if you don't get extremely lucky in life and find the right place at the right time.

anon
The point is you can't follow his program if you don't get extremely lucky in life and find the right place at the right time.

Say what now?

anon

That's right . You need to teach your kid how to build in his excuses ahead of time. How about you highlight his ability to dedicate himself and to persevere and never give up.

He has two scholarship offers out of high school and had to prove himself at Michigan every single day. Even as he had every chance to feel slighted and become toxic he did not. His teamates lives him and respected him.

Drew Henson came in as a frosh already in the cover of SI. They tried everything to give him the starting job. This journey made Brady stronger and helped mold him into the player and person he is today while you are " Uncle Rico "

I am no fan not and could care less about football. If I say him on the street it would catch my attention but that is about it. However to not appreciate what he has done is ludicrous!

Anon
anon

That's right . You need to teach your kid how to build in his excuses ahead of time. How about you highlight his ability to dedicate himself and to persevere and never give up.

He has two scholarship offers out of high school and had to prove himself at Michigan every single day. Even as he had every chance to feel slighted and become toxic he did not. His teamates lives him and respected him.

Drew Henson came in as a frosh already in the cover of SI. They tried everything to give him the starting job. This journey made Brady stronger and helped mold him into the player and person he is today while you are " Uncle Rico "

I am no fan not and could care less about football. If I say him on the street it would catch my attention but that is about it. However to not appreciate what he has done is ludicrous!

So your not a fan but your getting hysterical protecting him from words no one said.

anon
Anon
anon

So your not a fan but your getting hysterical protecting him from words no one said.

I have been following the thread. My response was in small part towards the previous poster and in large part all of the Brady haters. He is lucky. Its the coaching. Not a great athlete blah blah blah

Anon
anon

Gisele! An honor having you on the d board.

When my son was 14 he grew 4" that summer. The body gets soar from the growth spurt so if he is growing I would suggest resistance tube training. I remember signing him up for the off ice summer workout, 3 days a week, 80 minutes per day. I expected him to be hitting weights, Olympic lifts, etc.. I walked in the 3rd day and his coach had him doing plyo exercises, stretching, and these tubes. I was ****** until I talked to the trainer and he explained the physiology of what his body was going through. he coach actually cut it to 2 days per week at the gym and 1 day of full body stretching.

He started in June and by the time school came around, he was 5' 10", strong, flexible, and explosive. I guess my point for the OP, go to a professional with a goal in mind and have an understanding of what your kids body is going through in order to get the right plan for your kid. Good luck. Its never to late to start, a good professional will give you a plan for off season and in season workouts for gains and to prevent injury.

PS- Our Dog, our Fish, and our Bird are all named Brady.

anon
When my son was 14 he grew 4" that summer. The body gets soar from the growth spurt so if he is growing I would suggest resistance tube training. I remember signing him up for the off ice summer workout, 3 days a week, 80 minutes per day. I expected him to be hitting weights, Olympic lifts, etc.. I walked in the 3rd day and his coach had him doing plyo exercises, stretching, and these tubes. I was ****** until I talked to the trainer and he explained the physiology of what his body was going through. he coach actually cut it to 2 days per week at the gym and 1 day of full body stretching.

He started in June and by the time school came around, he was 5' 10", strong, flexible, and explosive. I guess my point for the OP, go to a professional with a goal in mind and have an understanding of what your kids body is going through in order to get the right plan for your kid. Good luck. Its never to late to start, a good professional will give you a plan for off season and in season workouts for gains and to prevent injury.

PS- Our Dog, our Fish, and our Bird are all named Brady.

I am guessing that your bird, fish, and dog all cheat then ........

I actually thought for 1 minute all of this thread was going to be on topic...Nope.

I am guessing that your bird, fish, dog and kid are all on human growth hormone.

I am guessing this guy stumbled onto this Board thinking it was an I Give a **** About Your Personal Life site.

anon
I am guessing this guy stumbled onto this Board thinking it was an I Give a **** About Your Personal Life site.

Hey, at least he brought something to the table. Try not to be distracted by his last sentence and you'll see he provides some good advice.

anon
anon

Hey, at least he brought something to the table. Try not to be distracted by his last sentence and you'll see he provides some good advice.
Yeah, but it's like a guy that delivers a killer pickup line followed by "BTW, I'm married."

"BTW, I'm married and my wife and I are on HGH"

^^I see nothing wrong with that..Do you know how HGH works or do you just think its bad because people tell you that? You would probably feel much better everyday you tried it.

you're all mega idiots paying for fancy gym training. all the best athletes like serena williams and jackie chan in rush hour just do push ups in their drive way rain or shine and get very huge and explosive muscles that way.

Yeah, Serena Williams is a real poster child of holistic training. Get a clue it's all about the pharmacy.

why are you obsessed with posters of childs and pharmacys and blues clues? idiot