The Official New England Ice Hockey DBoard 

Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hockey Academy

Are there any true Hockey Academies in New England? One that has a main focus on hockey and not academic? My son is not a scholar (B student) but loves hockey and has passion for it, do you have to eventually send your kid to prep to get that type of Hockey environment,structure and development?

Re: Hockey Academy

Prep schools don't offer a "Hockey environment, structure and development." The season is short, and even the very best of the best are required to play another sport in the fall and spring.

Selects Academy at South Kent School (really strong) and Elite Hockey at Cheshire Academy (above average) are the closest to what you're describing. But, they still entail a prep school curriculum.

Prob should teach him to drive a zamboni as a back up plan.

Anon
Prep schools don't offer a "Hockey environment, structure and development." The season is short, and even the very best of the best are required to play another sport in the fall and spring.

Selects Academy at South Kent School (really strong) and Elite Hockey at Cheshire Academy (above average) are the closest to what you're describing. But, they still entail a prep school curriculum.

"Prep schools don't offer a "Hockey environment, structure and development." The season is short, and even the very best of the best are required to play another sport in the fall and spring."

What an ignorant statement.

Aanon
Anon

"Prep schools don't offer a "Hockey environment, structure and development." The season is short, and even the very best of the best are required to play another sport in the fall and spring."

What an ignorant statement.

Well, considering my kid is at a Keller school, it can't be THAT ignorant.

If you are in the Boston area your best bet is a private day school ( ISL). This way you will still find plenty of time on the ice in the offseason albeit not as much as your accustomed too. If this won't do or you are out of the area go for an Independent prep school that does not follow NEPSA guidelines. Plenty of decent alternative throughout the country.

Most prep schools do loosen the three season requirements for upperclassman and those schools with rinks that have year round ice or at least October - March ice may suffice.

anon
If you are in the Boston area your best bet is a private day school ( ISL). This way you will still find plenty of time on the ice in the offseason albeit not as much as your accustomed too. If this won't do or you are out of the area go for an Independent prep school that does not follow NEPSA guidelines. Plenty of decent alternative throughout the country.

Most prep schools do loosen the three season requirements for upperclassman and those schools with rinks that have year round ice or at least October - March ice may suffice.
Not sure what your background is on the subject. Very few schools operate their rinks year round, or even October to March. This was the subject of a recent thread, and the only one people cam,e up with was Phillips Andover. I'm sure there are more, but not a lot. My kid's school doesn't operate the rink until early November and shuts it down pretty quickly after the NEPSAC playoffs are done (like, the next day).

So, most Prep players go to half season teams that may or may not have 1 - 2 practices a week. Or, the NEFPHL, which I understand has REALLY fallen off. My kid plays for a halfie that also has full season teams, which allows him to skate more nights.

During the season, lots of ice. Lots of standing around, too, because they are working on situational play, not development. The season is 20+/- games. And at that age an level, you don't develop very much in games. My kid actually loses overall fitness during the season.

As for the sports requirement, yes, Strength & Conditioning fills one term for upperclassmen. The kids still have to play a sport the remaining term, although some do cut deals. Nothing through the school in terms of hockey in the spring or summer.

So, the offerings of the programs I mentioned - Selects and Elite - are much closer to the "Hockey environment, structure and development" the OP mentioned. This is from the inside looking out. NE Prep isn't "all that" any more.

Cushing, AOF, Berkshire, PA, PEA, All the Lakes Region schools - ( Most in Oct). Most Prep schools rent ice to the local youth associations and are able to put the ice in by October if not earlier. With the local ISL schools it is a moot point as most kids skate all fall throughout the Boston area.

20+ Games. Huh? Most schools play 30+, with some as low as 26 and some as high as 40+ not including scrimmages ( reference My Hockey Rankings). Add 15-20 fall games or more and we are at 45-60 games. Works for me. Off ice work outs in the fall, 2-3 skates a week plus games. 5-6 days on the ice all winter. Take 2-3 months off in the spring to recover. Play some baseball, lax, tennis, golf, pocket pool. Whatever works for you.

Prep school hockey, like all local hockey has fallen off/watered down. I love the idea of the hockey academy or 6-7 month season. To me it is the best of both worlds. Prep school is still a great alternative under the right circumstances and probably a much better education than the alternative ( Never mind online school).

Still, key is to figure what works best for your child. Many great ways to go about it which still includes Prep School.

BTW , Elite Academy was one and done at Cheshire Academy. Selects is a great alternative although the U18 seems to be falling off. My sense is u15 and u16 will remain strong

anon
Cushing, AOF, Berkshire, PA, PEA, All the Lakes Region schools - ( Most in Oct). Most Prep schools rent ice to the local youth associations and are able to put the ice in by October if not earlier. With the local ISL schools it is a moot point as most kids skate all fall throughout the Boston area.

20+ Games. Huh? Most schools play 30+, with some as low as 26 and some as high as 40+ not including scrimmages ( reference My Hockey Rankings). Add 15-20 fall games or more and we are at 45-60 games. Works for me. Off ice work outs in the fall, 2-3 skates a week plus games. 5-6 days on the ice all winter. Take 2-3 months off in the spring to recover. Play some baseball, lax, tennis, golf, pocket pool. Whatever works for you.

Prep school hockey, like all local hockey has fallen off/watered down. I love the idea of the hockey academy or 6-7 month season. To me it is the best of both worlds. Prep school is still a great alternative under the right circumstances and probably a much better education than the alternative ( Never mind online school).

Still, key is to figure what works best for your child. Many great ways to go about it which still includes Prep School.

BTW , Elite Academy was one and done at Cheshire Academy. Selects is a great alternative although the U18 seems to be falling off. My sense is u15 and u16 will remain strong
Jesus, the people here are so anal.

I looked at your vaunted list. Tons of schools played less than 30 games. K-O played 13 games. Middlesex School played 23. Lawrence Academy played 27. AOF played 28.

I'd say 20+ describes it well ******* enough for everyone but the pedants.

Anon
anon

I looked at your vaunted list. Tons of schools played less than 30 games. K-O played 13 games. Middlesex School played 23. Lawrence Academy played 27. AOF played 28.

Dude, it has nothing to do with being anal but more so with you misrepresenting the facts. A**Clown! vaunted list ?? Tons of schools? Puhlease Corky!

Prep school players on avg will play between 45-60 games between their fall and winter teams. I know this does not support your claim Tard but it is the truth.

And what is this about spring and summer hockey. Fool, give your kid the spring off before he learns to hate you and the sport. Summer is for training and handful of tournaments.

Now go get a life chump.

Anon
anon

My sons fall team plays about 20 games. Winter team plays between 35-40 not including scrimmages.

Guess your kid plays at Moses Brown JV and not good enough for a fall team, eh?

Ah, multiple pedants. Or is it just one, posting more than once?

OK, facts. Of the 60 NE Prep schools listed on My Hockey Rankings, 32 played less than 30 games.

32 of 60? Wait, let me do the math. Yup, that would be "most."

Top 20 teams that played less than 30? AOF. Loomis Chaffee. LA. Taft. PA. Pomfret. Kent. Westy.

How about these - heard of any of these programs? Deerfield. Milton. Williston. Hotchkiss. Nobles. Choate. Groton. Govs. Brooks. BBN. All less than 30 games.

Eight more played exactly 30, including Top 20 teams Salisbury (gee, have they won anything recently?), Thayer, Winchedon, St. Sebs.

So, only one-third of NE Prep teams played more than 30 games.

The claim that "Most schools play 30+?" False. Unequivocally.

Checkmate.

Anon
Ah, multiple pedants. Or is it just one, posting more than once?

OK, facts. Of the 60 NE Prep schools listed on My Hockey Rankings, 32 played less than 30 games.

32 of 60? Wait, let me do the math. Yup, that would be "most."

Top 20 teams that played less than 30? AOF. Loomis Chaffee. LA. Taft. PA. Pomfret. Kent. Westy.

How about these - heard of any of these programs? Deerfield. Milton. Williston. Hotchkiss. Nobles. Choate. Groton. Govs. Brooks. BBN. All less than 30 games.

Eight more played exactly 30, including Top 20 teams Salisbury (gee, have they won anything recently?), Thayer, Winchedon, St. Sebs.

So, only one-third of NE Prep teams played more than 30 games.

The claim that "Most schools play 30+?" False. Unequivocally.

Checkmate.

53% is now most? Who is the real pedant?

20+??? My guess is with the 32 teams that played less than 30 games and the 28 that played more than 30 games you will come up with a mean average closer to 30+ than 20 + . Put away those chess pieces and get out the checkers zippy.

Yes, when referring to 53% of a group of something, the term "most" is correct.

aaa
Thank you.

aaa

You are either in Politics or PR. Good luck to you and your sons season with the Moses Brown JV team. The fall is also a great time for apple picking. Apple Crisp!! Mmm...

Is it possible that not all of the prep games get reported to MHR?

anon
It. Doesn't. Matter. 30+ is a subset of 20+. Who the **** cares? It's a nuance. One doesn't describe Prep hockey materially differently than the other. It's just a couple of guys needing to feel that they know more than the next guy and need to do some dick swinging to prove it (in their minds). Or maybe they feel threatened by the development of alternate models - like Selects Academy - that are better than Prep.

The NE publics are becoming irrelevant in terms of player development for the next level. The CC is down as well, so much so that they couldn't even dominate the publics in the Super 8. Preps are becoming weaker as more and more 14 and 15 year olds are recruited and promised playing time, whether they are ready or not. As soon as the local studs realize that going to the USHL after two years in a public or prep is the more successful path, the preps could really be hurting. The NTDP Class of 2017/18 is dominated by full season players.

It's evolve, or die.

To me, the Selects Academy model is the future. Because you get both the development that comes with a hockey-first environment but still benefit from a prep school education. And that's what the OP asked about.

Anon
anon
It. Doesn't. Matter. 30+ is a subset of 20+. Who the **** cares? It's a nuance. One doesn't describe Prep hockey materially differently than the other. It's just a couple of guys needing to feel that they know more than the next guy and need to do some dick swinging to prove it (in their minds). Or maybe they feel threatened by the development of alternate models - like Selects Academy - that are better than Prep.

The OP's premise was that preps schools don't really give you the proper amount of ice time as compared to some of the alternatives, Selects, SSM, FS Midget. Although I partly agree he is patently misrepresenting the facts which around these parts is pretty typical. I could give a flyin F but since he seems like a smug Dbag, I figured i would call him out. Perhaps his experience is:

His kid plays in 20 games a season

He pays full freight
His kid plays JV
His kid picks apples and goes to the mall with the international students on the weekends in the fall.
He has small hands
His kid did not get into prep school.

The kids we know ( Incl my kids) :

Get a good education and a discounted price and have an experience.

Play 15-20 games in the fall and are on the ice 3-4 a week.
Play a schedule of 28-40 games in the winter and on the ice 5-6 days a week between Nov-March.
Take a break in the Spring.
Skate a few days in the summer and play a few tournaments, work out, work, enjoy the summer.

Not saying what is the best route or how to parent. I got my hands full as it is!

Prep School hockey like all hockey in these parts is watered down but is still a great place to play competitive hockey and develop.

Anon
anon

The NE publics are becoming irrelevant in terms of player development for the next level. The CC is down as well, so much so that they couldn't even dominate the publics in the Super 8. Preps are becoming weaker as more and more 14 and 15 year olds are recruited and promised playing time, whether they are ready or not. As soon as the local studs realize that going to the USHL after two years in a public or prep is the more successful path, the preps could really be hurting. The NTDP Class of 2017/18 is dominated by full season players.

It's evolve, or die.

To me, the Selects Academy model is the future. Because you get both the development that comes with a hockey-first environment but still benefit from a prep school education. And that's what the OP asked about.

OP here, We are going to look at Selects in a few months to see what it all about. I like that they have u15, u16 u18 teams that play full season. My son dosent like that the school body is so small, but the hockey has his attention, My wife doesnt like the education piece, but could still be a fit once on campus.

Also reached out to Excel Hockey Academy in Pittsburgh, and CIHA in Ontario. Cant make a decision if you dont get all the info.
Good luck to all.

Anon
anon

It's evolve, or die.

Agree with you about the Selects model but half the team ( 01's) played Independent or New England Prep. I too am starting to like the full season model but Prep still has a place.

anon
Anon
anon

It's evolve, or die.

Agree with you about the Selects model but half the team ( 01's) played Independent or New England Prep. I too am starting to like the full season model but Prep still has a place.
Totally agree. It was too new to have their U18 kids be home grown. That will change.

And, *gasp* you didn't have to attempt to disparage my kid to make your point. What does it say about a man that would do that?

Just shows you, the kids grow up and become HS and college players. The parents don't.

Anon
anon
Anon
anon

It's evolve, or die.

Totally agree. It was too new to have their U18 kids be home grown. That will change.

And, *gasp* you didn't have to attempt to disparage my kid to make your point. What does it say about a man that would do that?

Just shows you, the kids grow up and become HS and college players. The parents don't.

Don't know you or your kid to personally disparage and if I did know you, it would never be on a public forum. Anal, Pandents? Why because you tell half truths and don't like to be challenged?

Anon
This was the subject of a recent thread, and the only one people came up with was Phillips Andover.
Andover is open 'year-round'. i know Rivers is multi purpose facility so the ice is not available in the off-season.

Anon

Elite Hockey Academy is long gone. Cheshire now has a traditional prep hockey team

Anon
Anon

Elite Hockey Academy is long gone. Cheshire now has a traditional prep hockey team
Maybe, but the program is still listed on CA's website and is still a member of ECEL at the U16 and U18 levels for the upcoming season. Doesn't sound too "long gone" to me, but what do I know?

anon
Are there any true Hockey Academies in New England? One that has a main focus on hockey and not academic? My son is not a scholar (B student) but loves hockey and has passion for it, do you have to eventually send your kid to prep to get that type of Hockey environment,structure and development?

The journey starts early then one would think. Believe it or not as early as 4th grade. The program that you seek is referred to as a High Preformance Athlete Program. Hollycrest Middle School uses this approach in grades 4 through 8. As long as the athlete continues to excel and share the same passion he / she will continue on to a High Preformance Athlete High School such as Silverthorn to continue this model. At Hollycrest hockey players spend a minimum of 3 hours daily on hockey related activities. T

There have been 52 boys who were enrolled / accepted into the program in the last 5 years and 45 of the 52 players graduated to junior hockey and above:
-10 NHL Draft Picks
-5 Players playing AHL
-21 Drafted to OHL
-9 Players received NCAA scholarships

There is no cost to High Preformance Athletes as the program is funded by TDSB.

Anon
anon

The journey starts early then one would think. Believe it or not as early as 4th grade. The program that you seek is referred to as a High Preformance Athlete Program. Hollycrest Middle School uses this approach in grades 4 through 8. As long as the athlete continues to excel and share the same passion he / she will continue on to a High Preformance Athlete High School such as Silverthorn to continue this model. At Hollycrest hockey players spend a minimum of 3 hours daily on hockey related activities. T

There have been 52 boys who were enrolled / accepted into the program in the last 5 years and 45 of the 52 players graduated to junior hockey and above:
-10 NHL Draft Picks
-5 Players playing AHL
-21 Drafted to OHL

Amazing.... program looks fantastic.

Thank you!

Anon
Anon
anon

-10 NHL Draft Picks
-5 Players playing AHL
-21 Drafted to OHL

Thank you!

Yup, all you need to d is find a job in ON, move, pay more in taxes and give up reasonable health care.

You lost your credibility with "...and give up reasonable health care."

Canada's healthcare system makes our insurance company driven crapshow look like a second world country stumbling around trying to provide healthcare for a third of it's people. Spend some time in Canada and turn off Fox News and you will see how failed we are at healthcare.

anon

Canada's healthcare system makes our insurance company driven crapshow look like a second world country stumbling around trying to provide healthcare for a third of it's people. Spend some time in Canada and turn off Fox News and you will see how failed we are at healthcare.
Umm, I'm responsible for the healthcare coverages for my company's 100,000 employees around the world, including Canada. I THINK that gives me just a little credibility. But, this is neither a healthcare forum nor a political forum so I'll stop there.

Anon
anon

Umm, I'm responsible for the healthcare coverages for my company's 100,000 employees around the world, including Canada. I THINK that gives me just a little credibility. But, this is neither a healthcare forum nor a political forum so I'll stop there.

Just goes to show how out of touch you are lemming! Bet you voted for Trump too?

Anon
Anon
Anon
anon

-10 NHL Draft Picks
-5 Players playing AHL
-21 Drafted to OHL

Thank you!

Yup, all you need to d is find a job in ON, move, pay more in taxes and give up reasonable health care.

The program will not turn any non residents away who deserve a spot. It's about developing the right candidates.

Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
anon

-10 NHL Draft Picks
-5 Players playing AHL
-21 Drafted to OHL

Thank you!

The program will not turn any non residents away who deserve a spot. It's about developing the right candidates.
Yeah, Umm, except that would mean sending your 9 year old to live away from home.

And, I'm sorry, but I sincerely doubt the City of Toronto is bending over backwards to spend taxpayer dollars to develop U.S. Hockey players. Even socialism had practical limits.

Try reading what you write before hitting "Post."

Anon
anon

-10 NHL Draft Picks
-5 Players playing AHL
-21 Drafted to OHL

Its the FedElite model. I like it.

Impressive statistics, the best being grouped and trained with the best.

Ham Bone
Anon
anon

-10 NHL Draft Picks
-5 Players playing AHL
-21 Drafted to OHL

Sounds to me like training your kid to be a zamboni driver. Of those 52, how many will make enough of an impact that they will never have to work again after hockey. My guess is zero. One should never sacrifice the education for hockey, I don't care how good a prospect you are.

Since every prep school kid becomes set for life at an early age, I agree!

anon
Ham Bone
Anon
anon

-10 NHL Draft Picks
-5 Players playing AHL
-21 Drafted to OHL

Sounds to me like training your kid to be a zamboni driver. Of those 52, how many will make enough of an impact that they will never have to work again after hockey. My guess is zero. One should never sacrifice the education for hockey, I don't care how good a prospect you are.

No one is sacrificing an education or proposing to do so. The curriculum / program is designed Board of Education.