Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: USHL Talent

Odd question as it may be just dboard banter but yes there is plenty of USHL talent in prep level. Most of the time the kids will stay in Prep for 4 years then go to USHL after graduation before heading off to college.

anon
Odd question as it may be just dboard banter but yes there is plenty of USHL talent in prep level. Most of the time the kids will stay in Prep for 4 years then go to USHL after graduation before heading off to college.

What about at the Catholics level, any USHL talent there in recent years?

Anon
anon

If you want to count JW as being from the CC, yes, but he was just biding time until his NTDP year came up.

But, it's fallen off precipitously in a very short time.

And JW cannot score any goals in the USHL...so it is one thing getting there and it is another playing and being productive.

anon
And JW cannot score any goals in the USHL...so it is one thing getting there and it is another playing and being productive.

I believe he was 4th in scoring on the u17's last year and was one of four called up to the u18's at the end of the year. Still pretty good. Has not grown much over the last few years. He will need to make adjustments to his game. Looks like a 2nd-3rd round pick in next years NHL draft. If he has a big year, could be a 1st rounder.

anon
anon

I believe he was 4th in scoring on the u17's last year and was one of four called up to the u18's at the end of the year. Still pretty good. Has not grown much over the last few years. He will need to make adjustments to his game. Looks like a 2nd-3rd round pick in next years NHL draft. If he has a big year, could be a 1st rounder.

"Hasn't grown much"!! Lol. Try none! Kid had perma 5-O'clock shadow as a 14 year old!

Saw him play in high school and I certainly didn't get the hype. Public high school D-I defensemen had no problem with him.

JW does not belong on that team...he was a minus 15 last year and scored 8 goals in 50 plus games. Get your facts straight, it is not that hard to figure out, USA Hockey updates stats on their website real time so there is now where to hide when you don't play well!

anon
JW does not belong on that team...he was a minus 15 last year and scored 8 goals in 50 plus games. Get your facts straight, it is not that hard to figure out, USA Hockey updates stats on their website real time so there is now where to hide when you don't play well!

He played 6 more games on the U17 team and had the same amount of points as OW, who will be a 1st round ( maybe top 10 )pick. Most if not all the u17 team is in the minus column. I may be mistaken but that has historically been the case.

JW, has not grown much and may have fallen off a bit, but still a very talented kid who has a bright future. We will be rooting for him.

New to this so I'm not sure who JW or OW are but hope they do well. I was asking about the talent because we were approached and asked about future interest and basically looking to see if many kids get this request like those email blasts to 500 kids?

If you've been approached and asked, evidentially someone believes your son might be good enough someday to play at a high level. I wouldn't think it's a 'blast' type of contact - the serious talent evaluators don't have time for that or an interest in watering down their credibility.

My suggestion to you is to be very interested, encourage the interaction, be open minded to the idea and leave the door open. It is the best league to gain entry into D-I college hockey and at the very least high-end D-III and who knows, maybe your son might be interested in playing college hockey.

Good luck.

Scout
If you've been approached and asked, evidentially someone believes your son might be good enough someday to play at a high level. I wouldn't think it's a 'blast' type of contact - the serious talent evaluators don't have time for that or an interest in watering down their credibility.

My suggestion to you is to be very interested, encourage the interaction, be open minded to the idea and leave the door open. It is the best league to gain entry into D-I college hockey and at the very least high-end D-III and who knows, maybe your son might be interested in playing college hockey.

Good luck.
I agree, there isn't any downside here. Candidly, even if he was asking everyone, why does how many people he asks matter? All you care about is whether your kid plays in the league at some point.

We bit on one of those "blast" emails this summer, and went to a USHL open camp. Cost $300 plus airfare (points) hotel (points) and meals. Maybe you don't have points to defer the cost. Getting your kid to the college hockey level is an expensive proposition. And, we had a great time. Mini-vaca for me and the kid. As he gets older, there aren't many of those opportunities left.

He came back a different player, filled with confidence that he CAN play at that level. it's no longer a wish list item, we can do things over the next two years to hopefully make it a reality.

Get advice from others, collect data points from a variety of sources, but go in with your eyes wide open, and make your own decision.

Good post. . . in a land of negativity.

Anon
anon

There is some USHL level talent sprinkled in high school hockey over the past few years but it either has gone the way of - leave the high school team the kid's sophomore year and go to a full season team (so the high school gets no credit) or

the kid is late to the radar and plays out his high school career and gets a late offer to go to the USHL (and there again it's pretty much ignored that he was a h.s. player locally).

Realistically, unless the kid is a noticeably good player AND he makes contacts & gestures that he is interested in moving out to the Midwest the local scouts won't bother trying to talk them into going. Personally I don't think the attempts of the USPHL in getting on the radar has helped the cause for kids in this area in getting recruited to play in the higher league.

Scout
Anon
anon

There is some USHL level talent sprinkled in high school hockey over the past few years but it either has gone the way of - leave the high school team the kid's sophomore year and go to a full season team (so the high school gets no credit) or

the kid is late to the radar and plays out his high school career and gets a late offer to go to the USHL (and there again it's pretty much ignored that he was a h.s. player locally).

Realistically, unless the kid is a noticeably good player AND he makes contacts & gestures that he is interested in moving out to the Midwest the local scouts won't bother trying to talk them into going. Personally I don't think the attempts of the USPHL in getting on the radar has helped the cause for kids in this area in getting recruited to play in the higher league.
Ummm, well, you may be right, but the NCDC is less than a month old. Kinda hard to say what it is and isn't, and how many kids will be able to step up to Tier I Juniors.

Lots of prep players from last year putting up points this weekend in Pittsburgh.