email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: D1 Town HS or FS Tier1 Elite/USPHL?

Anon
No comparison. A reputable fs program all the way. The only better option is very high end Prep (isl). It’s a shame watching the one or two good players on town high school teams suffer through their seasons when they could be playing with much better coaches and players
Not that I don't agree with you but there are as many( actually probably more) High End Prep hockey programs outside of the ISL then there are in the ISL. ISL has 4 or 5 strong programs followed by a few good programs and some that are just not that strong in hockey. Overall very good athletically and academically for sure.

Anon
My kid played local Tier1 Elite, now for NAHL. He trying to decide on what Hockey East team to play for...Don’t let facts get in the way of the discussion though
Nobody said nobody makes it to D1, Doug. The statement was "If the kid is a noticeable local standout he would progress through these teams and then to the USHL," as if it happens on a regular basis, like the local teams are feeder orgs for the U. It happens, but not with any frequency.

This is right on -

"If the goal is to play serious D-3 or D-I college hockey then D1 Town HS is fine for freshmen & sophomore players but after that 90% of the kids are wasting their time. No one cares anymore and few scouts care because the level of play has gotten to be so weak. Coaching is usually a bit 'dated' and the systems the kids play in their select teams often leave the high school coaches heads spinning."

anon
This is right on -

"If the goal is to play serious D-3 or D-I college hockey then D1 Town HS is fine for freshmen & sophomore players but after that 90% of the kids are wasting their time. No one cares anymore and few scouts care because the level of play has gotten to be so weak. Coaching is usually a bit 'dated' and the systems the kids play in their select teams often leave the high school coaches heads spinning."
It may be "fine" but it isn't going to lead to as much development as playing U16 T1EHL or for one of the top area USPHL programs. Playing with and against better competition over a 60 game schedule will make them better than playing 20-30 on a half season team that may or may not practice as a unit and then 20+ games of HS against some good kids and teams, some not so good.

Be realistic and honest with who is chasing who / what. A good 02? is he being recruited by a prep or a good U16 team or are you hoping he makes it. If you're hoping things work out then you're chasing and probably spending time and $$ that in a few years you'll back on and say WTF was I thinking. Freshman and Sophmore years in a GOOD D1 HS will give you time and enough exposure to make a better decision, they will find the good ones in HS and ask you to move. If a player can light it up in HS as frosh or sophomore you're in wrong place. IF he's just another player and doesn't stand out then you have your answer. Again, be honest and ask your kid what he wants.

anon
Be realistic and honest with who is chasing who / what. A good 02? is he being recruited by a prep or a good U16 team or are you hoping he makes it. If you're hoping things work out then you're chasing and probably spending time and $$ that in a few years you'll back on and say WTF was I thinking. Freshman and Sophmore years in a GOOD D1 HS will give you time and enough exposure to make a better decision, they will find the good ones in HS and ask you to move. If a player can light it up in HS as frosh or sophomore you're in wrong place. IF he's just another player and doesn't stand out then you have your answer. Again, be honest and ask your kid what he wants.
good advice. from what i have seen for boys --- 8th graders should be on their (prep) radar. they either want you now - great, want you to play a year at your local hs (surprising it does not matter the level) - good or you have heard nothing - tough seeing anything positive.

the challenge as a parent is too many kids are too short sighted (reset the video game), spending a year at the local hs should help him decide his path and save you some dollars.

i would always chose prep over the others as at least you would get a 'marque' education.

U16/U18 Hockey is a Joke Every org has a team. All you hear is HS hockey is dead. The only people saying this are people running FS teams They will tell you anything to get your money. Your kid should play Prep if he can make it otherwise HS.

Keep your money...

anon
U16/U18 Hockey is a Joke Every org has a team. All you hear is HS hockey is dead. The only people saying this are people running FS teams They will tell you anything to get your money. Your kid should play Prep if he can make it otherwise HS.

Keep your money...

Strong u18 is better than HS and comparable if not better then CC

Play High School! Have your kid enjoy the experience with his friends. College is a pipe dream for almost everyone. Only 140 college hockey programs in the country. If they all have 5 openings (which they don't) you need to be a top 700 player in the world!

Stop eating the non-sense the U18 and other full season teams are feeding you.

What if your kid actually want to improve and play with kids who can catch and make a pass?

Anon
What if your kid actually want to improve and play with kids who can catch and make a pass?
It's funny you said that. You've hit on the biggest difference I've noticed between the T1EHL and USPHL. It's very noticeable - T1 kids can catch those passes and turn them into plays. Way too many tape to tape passes bounce off sticks in the USPHL.

And I'm not knocking USPHL in saying that. I'd imagine it's far worse at the MIAA level.

Anon
What if your kid is the one who can't catch a pass to save his life (and yours)?

If that were the case then we would be the ones on here promoting crappy high school hockey

Anon
If that were the case then we would be the ones on here promoting crappy high school hockey
Be honest, is your kid a top 1,000 player in the world for his birth year? If your kid is that good, absolutely chase the dream, get an advisor and develop a go forward path that allows him every opportunity in the world to develop to his maximum. If you know your kid isn't a top player, why not allow him to enjoyment of playing for his high school, regardless of the division they are in.

If you are unsure where your player stands, here is a simple litmus test: Are any of the prep coaches reaching out to you, not for the "come to our open house" but actually encouraging your kid to apply so he can play varsity for them? Have any advisors approached you about working with your family? If they are, congratulations to your son, he's a top player. If not, feel free to continue to chase the dream, it's your money and I have no right to tell you how to spend it. Just understand, you son will miss out on some great opportunities with his friends and peers in high school. I guess you can take solace in knowing that he'll probably be a top 10 scorer in the Bud Light league in few years thanks to that additional development in U18.

Anon
Anon
Be honest, is your kid a top 1,000 player in the world for his birth year? If your kid is that good, absolutely chase the dream, get an advisor and develop a go forward path that allows him every opportunity in the world to develop to his maximum. If you know your kid isn't a top player, why not allow him to enjoyment of playing for his high school, regardless of the division they are in.

If you are unsure where your player stands, here is a simple litmus test: Are any of the prep coaches reaching out to you, not for the "come to our open house" but actually encouraging your kid to apply so he can play varsity for them? Have any advisors approached you about working with your family? If they are, congratulations to your son, he's a top player. If not, feel free to continue to chase the dream, it's your money and I have no right to tell you how to spend it. Just understand, you son will miss out on some great opportunities with his friends and peers in high school. I guess you can take solace in knowing that he'll probably be a top 10 scorer in the Bud Light league in few years thanks to that additional development in U18.
Any talent evaluator will tell you that kids take huge developmental strides between the ages of 14 and 19. So, deciding that playing for your HS is more "fun" is kinda like telling him it's OK to drop out of HS at 16. After all, he isn't one of the top 1,000 students in the country, is he? World needs ditch diggers, too.

Here's an idea. How about talking to your kid and find out what's important to him? I have, and he just wants to play the best possible hockey he can, work hard, and see where it goes. He said he could care less about playing in front of adoring fans, that when he plays he zones all of that out anyway.

How is choosing HS hockey over U16 or U18 analogous to dropping out school? A more appropriate metaphor would be "My kid really wants to go to Harvard but he's only ever been a C student despite hiring tutors so I'm going to write a check to their endowment for 10K to help the enrollment process." Of course 10K is a nice donation but it doesn't even register at Harvard and your kid isn't getting accepted, it's time to set more realistic goals. If you believe your kid can develop into a top player than that's great, just remember many of those at the top are also continuing to develop.

I'm not telling you or any parent that chooses full season over HS that you're wrong, I'm just taking a contrarian view because we have different opinions, nothing wrong with that.

I have the means to pay for my kid to play full season U16 but I choose not to. I made a decision that if my son wasn't being recruited by two or more preps before HS, the chances of him playing even D-III after graduation were slim so I steered him towards high school hockey. It doesn't make me any more right or wrong than you are.

The only thing that I will say is wrong is to put down HS hockey as somehow being beneath any player.

Anon
How is choosing HS hockey over U16 or U18 analogous to dropping out school? A more appropriate metaphor would be "My kid really wants to go to Harvard but he's only ever been a C student despite hiring tutors so I'm going to write a check to their endowment for 10K to help the enrollment process." Of course 10K is a nice donation but it doesn't even register at Harvard and your kid isn't getting accepted, it's time to set more realistic goals. If you believe your kid can develop into a top player than that's great, just remember many of those at the top are also continuing to develop.

I'm not telling you or any parent that chooses full season over HS that you're wrong, I'm just taking a contrarian view because we have different opinions, nothing wrong with that.

I have the means to pay for my kid to play full season U16 but I choose not to. I made a decision that if my son wasn't being recruited by two or more preps before HS, the chances of him playing even D-III after graduation were slim so I steered him towards high school hockey. It doesn't make me any more right or wrong than you are.

The only thing that I will say is wrong is to put down HS hockey as somehow being beneath any player.
FYI, preps don't generally recruit before HS. They want your kid to come in a little bit older and then repeat so they can still get a couple years out of them. So play til end of U16 and if your kid stands out then you'll hear from a few schools. But, honestly, as a prep hockey parent, there is a lot of crappy prep hockey. Just look at the scores so far this year--lots of blowouts. Most teams have 1, maybe 2, really good lines. Most of the ISL is terrible. Rivers beats Thayer with a group of unskilled players bc they actually have a coach who knows what he's doing (and Thayer really has only 1 really good line). Few schools have that luxury. Problem here in NE is there's just too many alternatives diluting the level of play and too many parents willing to write checks. In MN the best kids play for their high school. And the rest of the kids are done. USA Hockey loves Massachusetts cuz our kids keep writing checks to it well after their expiration date.

I have never seen this posted here ever -

" But, honestly, as a prep hockey parent, there is a lot of crappy prep hockey. "

slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap.......

Anon

" But, honestly, as a prep hockey parent, there is a lot of crappy prep hockey. "

slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap slow golf clap.......
This isn't news, and it's been said before here. "Prep Hockey" covers a lot of ground. Some good, lots bad.

anon
Anon

\" But, honestly, as a prep hockey parent, there is a lot of crappy prep hockey. \"

This isn't news, and it's been said before here. "Prep Hockey" covers a lot of ground. Some good, lots bad.
When the consensus pick as "best" prep team this season can't beat a low-skilled team (Rivers was even missing it's two best defenseman) it is interesting.

If your kid is good enough to play on a good full season u16 or u18 team playing with and against some of the best players in the state, and country for that matter, why on earth would you opt for HS?

anon
If your kid is good enough to play on a good full season u16 or u18 team playing with and against some of the best players in the state, and country for that matter, why on earth would you opt for HS?
The crowds! The Glory Days!

anon
It all depends on his outlook for playing post HS. If you're hanging them up after HS, then why bother with anything but the HS team? If people were more honest about their kid's ability, or knew more about the talent that is out there, more would stick around. I believe this would result in better outcomes for a lot of kids, including the stronger players.

Been through it. The posts about development are right on and h.s. hockey isn't about development.

So my oldest boy is a pretty good player, he got to high school age and the local U-16 f.s. team coach sat him down and asked him what his goals were. Then he asked him if he really wanted to play college hockey - and I think the question kind of caught the kid off guard because he never thought of himself playing college hockey. Kid said, "no not really, I've never really thought about it." The coach said, "O.K., I'd say go and play for your high school."

The high school systems and coaching were pretty laughable for most of the more advanced kids, coaches playing favorites and not really knowing which player could actually play and especially in which situations but in all fairness they had not seen these kids in 40+ games per year over many years so how could they be expected to figure it out.

Many of the U-16 kids are now playing college hockey, some D-1 and only a handful of the high school kids are playing D-3....so I guess it all depends on what the kid wants to do.

Anon
Been through it. The posts about development are right on and h.s. hockey isn't about development.

So my oldest boy is a pretty good player, he got to high school age and the local U-16 f.s. team coach sat him down and asked him what his goals were. Then he asked him if he really wanted to play college hockey - and I think the question kind of caught the kid off guard because he never thought of himself playing college hockey. Kid said, "no not really, I've never really thought about it." The coach said, "O.K., I'd say go and play for your high school."

The high school systems and coaching were pretty laughable for most of the more advanced kids, coaches playing favorites and not really knowing which player could actually play and especially in which situations but in all fairness they had not seen these kids in 40+ games per year over many years so how could they be expected to figure it out.

Many of the U-16 kids are now playing college hockey, some D-1 and only a handful of the high school kids are playing D-3....so I guess it all depends on what the kid wants to do.
You're spot on as is that coach. My kid was developing into a pretty good player but, after getting injured as a sophomore, never expressed any interest in playing in college. He stayed on his high school team, had a blast and by the end, I think played up to his potential as a high school hockey player (but you are correct, HS hockey is NOT about development), and is now doing well in college, as a student. I can't argue with any of those outcomes.

Anon

The reason it's like dropping out is, public HS hockey doesn't develop kids. They might be good players with some upside at 14, but then dad convinces him he should play HS for the crowds, BMOC standing, whatever.

So, he makes the team as a Freshman instead of playing U14 full season, plays sporadically. He's small versus the 18 year old football-players-on-skates so he plays hesitantly, the skill level is low, and he doesn't develop as much as he would have.

Then, because he's already thinking HS, he plays 1/2 season U16 - which isn't strong unless you are top Prep and playing for one of the better teams. HS season comes, he sees a bit more playing time as a Sophomore, but still isn't developing as he would have if he had played U16 Full Season.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

So, yes, HS hockey IS beneath some players, because it holds them back. It stunts their development.