Visit The DBoard Online Store - https://www.cafepress.com/icehockeydboard

Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
2018 Super 8 potential picks

Looking forward to Super 8 tourney only wish it were one and done like the state tourney.. Overtime games should play 3 on 3 no shootouts . Very exciting and a goal is usually scored early on.

Just my opinion....top 4 are locks
1. CC been outstanding all year and goaltending must be strong in post season to win it all
2. BCH very talented team and my pick to win it this year
3. Pope Francis tough team to play
4. SJP playing well and top 4
5. Hingham SOS helps
6. Burlington Always a solid team well coached team year after year

Play in games could be any order
7.Andover playing well and inspired with coaches return
8.Arlington not last years talent but well coached
9.St Marys always a tough team to play very gritty
10.Wellesley weak schedule but if lose back to D1 tourney

Re: 2018 Super 8 potential picks

anon
Looking forward to Super 8 tourney only wish it were one and done like the state tourney.. Overtime games should play 3 on 3 no shootouts . Very exciting and a goal is usually scored early on.

1. CC been outstanding all year and goaltending must be strong in post season to win it all
5. Hingham SOS helps

AP had an off year but still worthy.

they need to get rid of the play in games and go back to just top 8.

anon
Or call it the Super 10 and give the two top teams a first round bye ( or not). I would like to see a Public Super 8 and Private Super 8. Not because I don't think the better publics can compete but more to give the other fringe Publics a chance. Winner of each can play for overall champs.

Super 8 double elimination has to go. Nothing more exciting putting it all on the line for one game ... win you move on and lose season over. Be difficult for most teams to beat BCH or CC 2 straight games.

Anon
anon
Or call it the Super 10 and give the two top teams a first round bye ( or not). I would like to see a Public Super 8 and Private Super 8. Not because I don't think the better publics can compete but more to give the other fringe Publics a chance. Winner of each can play for overall champs.
Yeah the MIAA has a difficult time putting on any tournament and that would only make it more insane. Just run a D-1 public and a D-1 private and have the finals at The Garden. But if you ditch the format you have now the power hungry people running it wouldn't be part of a committee that picks who is in and who isn't. Like someone posted before, maybe the best team Hingham has had didn't get voted in at all and they went on to win the D-1 instead a few years ago. Maybe D-1 champ plays the magical Super 8 winner for a real state champ

Anon
anon
Yeah the MIAA has a difficult time putting on any tournament and that would only make it more insane. Just run a D-1 public and a D-1 private and have the finals at The Garden. But if you ditch the format you have now the power hungry people running it wouldn't be part of a committee that picks who is in and who isn't. Like someone posted before, maybe the best team Hingham has had didn't get voted in at all and they went on to win the D-1 instead a few years ago. Maybe D-1 champ plays the magical Super 8 winner for a real state champ

It’s not that difficult. Before the Super 8, it was run like the NCAA basketball tourney. It worked. Best teams always rose to the top, no marginal Super 8 teams were left out. All conference winners got in and others with seeds for excellent records. At the end of the day, sometimes you had Catholics v. Catholics, other years Publics v. Catholics for the state title. But an exclusionary tournament had to be created called the Super 8 and at the end of the day, three publics, Reading, Hingham and Arlington have won it in the last 10 years, so about 30 percent of the time for publics in the last decade. That’s the reality for anyone that wants to look at the record.
The old tournament format was just fine. Right now you actually have two Div. 1 winners, and that’s also a fact

anon

5. Hingham SOS helps

St. John's Shrewsbury will sneak in

If MC makes it in can we all agree this thing is a joke?

MC should be in Super 8 if they get in...actually any catholic conference team that qualifies for tournament should get one of the 10 spots

Why?

Because those public teams especially Andover are not good.

Your an idiot

YOUR an idiot. Always love the irony in that one.

anon
MC should be in Super 8 if they get in...actually any catholic conference team that qualifies for tournament should get one of the 10 spots
Your an idiot was to the poster who said MC should be in Super 8.

Get a clue.

anon
anon
Your an idiot was to the poster who said MC should be in Super 8.

Get a clue.
Oh. So i should know this because you had this thought in yiur head but neglected to quote it within yiur comments but beneath my comment. Ok got it now

SJ Shrewsbury proved they belonged the other night. They will suffer the same fate as the rest getting smoked by the two elite teams.

CC & BCH and everyone else gets a participation medal.

The goaltending at CC is everything...hopefully he does not continue to give up soft goals in big games.

CC is 21-1-2 and only given up 14 goals all year. Sounds like you a splitting hairs over a couple of goals.

Isn’t the CC Goalie the kid who Arlington scored on in overtime of the Super 8 Final at the Garden from behind the net?

My belief is that this will be the year they load up on the Publics, a few good deserving teams may be left out if that happens.

Y
My belief is that this will be the year they load up on the Publics, a few good deserving teams may be left out if that happens.
CC, BC High, Pope Francis, SJP - Maybe AP, St Marys. Both have had up and down years but the record and fact that they have some strong wins/games

Hingham - Definitely. Wellesley, Andover, Arlington.

Arlington likely, because they have had a decent year and defending champs. Andover likely as they have come on strong after difficult circumstances. Wellesley has a had a good year.

CC
BCH
Pope
SJP
Hingham
Arlington
St Marys
AP
Wellesley
Andover

Did I miss anyone? Burlington??