High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Jeff Cox knows stuff

Is he an evaluator? What is his hockey resume? Never heard of him

Kid not in this age group - but are you saying when you subscribe to his website, you give your kids name and age group?

Sounds a bit weird...

Anon
His hockey resume is that played golf in college and owns a laptop and has a twitter account. So he's a "scout"

anon
Anon
His hockey resume is that played golf in college and owns a laptop and has a twitter account. So he's a "scout"
:joy:

Anon
Anon
Hate unnecessary articles like this. What happens when these kids don’t make it? Are you going to be there to help explain why or just writ another article? For the 30 other kids you missed, you think they are excited to keep working at that goal when the Journal has already counted them out. Think before you print!
Now you want a kid who may have the desire to work at making this camp to get away from the rink and become a true athlete and not get burnt out, but he better play in a tournament your at so his name gets in the mix.
No wonder why people move to the 3 or 4 teams listed.. if you don’t, then you basically don’t exist at 14/15.

Mr Cox, if you want to grow the game then leave articles like this for Jrs, all this does is make kids leave the game.
If your kid is going to consider leaving the sport because he isn't a candidate for making the NTDP, let alone not being in an article about that, odds are pretty good he isn't long for the sport, regardless. Hockey is full of disappointments, and kids have to be very resilient to get even to the college level.
No ones leaving the sport, but I get where the poster is coming from. 3/4 of the kids on his list are more concerned with fortnight and girls then moving away from mommy in a year for hockey.
He does the same thing to NY hockey, look at his past “predictions”, all trash.

Sorry...your participation trophy is in the mail...

If your kid can't handle not being on a list, he probably isn't going to be playing hockey too much longer.

A little different perspective, my son is on the list and I think it’s rediculous. There is enough pressure on these kids as it is, no need to put a spotlight on him. I encourage all players to keep working hard because I have watched him play kids from all over MA and there are better skaters then my kid not on this list for whatever reason but keep working on your skating and you will make it wherever your trying to get.

If you are going to publish an article about the kids from New England, then you should make sure you have information about kids from all of the New England states, not just MA and CT. There are some strong NH, VT and ME kids that could also potentially be on this list.

Personally I think Jeff Cox is probably the best in the business for his coverage and analysis. I know parents get all ***** if their kid isnt mentioned and then automatically hate the guy but Cox is at the rinks and the guy works hard. I have seen him at just about every big game/tournament. Name another writer that covers as much as he does and as in depth? At the end of the day its just his opinion and he has the right to it...doesnt make it right or wrong...its just one guys opinion.

If your kid wants to quit playing because one writer doesnt list him or does list him the kid doenst have the mental makeup to go far in this game and for that matter the kid better buckle up because everyone isnt going to kiss ass in the world.

anon
Personally I think Jeff Cox is probably the best in the business for his coverage and analysis. I know parents get all ***** if their kid isnt mentioned and then automatically hate the guy but Cox is at the rinks and the guy works hard. I have seen him at just about every big game/tournament. Name another writer that covers as much as he does and as in depth? At the end of the day its just his opinion and he has the right to it...doesnt make it right or wrong...its just one guys opinion.

If your kid wants to quit playing because one writer doesnt list him or does list him the kid doenst have the mental makeup to go far in this game and for that matter the kid better buckle up because everyone isnt going to kiss ass in the world.
This is also true. While he misses some due to geography or lack of awareness of certain players, maybe has a slight unconscious bias towards and against some players or organizations at times, possibly influenced by hype from certain "representatives," by and large he does a good job and takes it seriously. Compared to some other published "evaluators," I think he's a good starting point when looking at a player.

He "follows" the kids that pay his subscriptions and the kids that are son of (fill in the blank on former NHL / College player). His 03 list hasn't changed and it is clear only the Terriers, Eagles and MFF are the teams with any quality players.

Anon
Has Jeff Cox watched 03’s play? What a joke!

http://www.hockeyjournal.com/nehockeyjournal/april_2018/MobilePagedArticle.action?articleId=1371588&app=false#articleId1371588
Just for your info - the 03 level will be the most scrutinized and analyzed birth year now since they just had the NDTP for the 02s wrap up. Top kids will be analyzed by local scouts, regional scouts, USA scouts, college coaches, NHL scouts, writers, advisors, coaches other parents....they will reach out to school teachers, administrators, guidance counselors, old coaches, friends of old coaches, guys that coached against your son....to get more information and it will all matter. USA Hockey does an incredible job at researching players from grades, to what kind of teammate they are to how they behave on and off the ice. Getting upset over one article is laughable compared to whats ahead for the top players at the 03 level.

anon
Anon

http://www.hockeyjournal.com/nehockeyjournal/april_2018/MobilePagedArticle.action?articleId=1371588&app=false#articleId1371588
Just for your info - the 03 level will be the most scrutinized and analyzed birth year now since they just had the NDTP for the 02s wrap up. Top kids will be analyzed by local scouts, regional scouts, USA scouts, college coaches, NHL scouts, writers, advisors, coaches other parents....they will reach out to school teachers, administrators, guidance counselors, old coaches, friends of old coaches, guys that coached against your son....to get more information and it will all matter. USA Hockey does an incredible job at researching players from grades, to what kind of teammate they are to how they behave on and off the ice. Getting upset over one article is laughable compared to whats ahead for the top players at the 03 level.
Well let it all happen then, just don’t see the need for an article like this for the kids mentioned and kids not mentioned.

Anon
anon
Anon

Well let it all happen then, just don’t see the need for an article like this for the kids mentioned and kids not mentioned.
It is happening thus the article....its the guys job to cover youth hockey and especially the 03 level now as its the NDTP year. There is going to be a lot of sites writing articles and ranking players.

anon
Anon
anon
Anon

It is happening thus the article....its the guys job to cover youth hockey and especially the 03 level now as its the NDTP year. There is going to be a lot of sites writing articles and ranking players.
Seems like its happening if you play for a certain team, have a certain bloodline or live in a certain area. Good luck. My son is an 01, same thing happened with this group. My son was not even on the radar like many of you, however, he now has a D1 commitment and still is just listed as "Oh by the way" this kid will be playing at Northeastern. No big deal hes not from Boston area.

anon
Anon

This is true

He thinks he knows his stuff but he is all too enamored with the little flashy fowards. He wouldn't know a defensemen if he hit him in the head with a slapshot. A few years ago my son was playing on a public h.s. team and he wrote-up a few stories on a few of the teams and he listed his best players either little forwards or defensemen who are mis-placed forwards, no big deal. One parent asked him about my son's team's best defensemen and he said, 'oh he's a good transitional skater.' That was it. Kid outplayed many prep and full season kids during summer tournaments and fall hockey and was never written about even once by the 'scout.' At the end of the season the kid goes out to the Midwest and two of the USHL teams were begging him to stay. When I heard that I just laughed, some 'scout.' :blush:

anon
He thinks he knows his stuff but he is all too enamored with the little flashy fowards. He wouldn't know a defensemen if he hit him in the head with a slapshot. A few years ago my son was playing on a public h.s. team and he wrote-up a few stories on a few of the teams and he listed his best players either little forwards or defensemen who are mis-placed forwards, no big deal. One parent asked him about my son's team's best defensemen and he said, 'oh he's a good transitional skater.' That was it. Kid outplayed many prep and full season kids during summer tournaments and fall hockey and was never written about even once by the 'scout.' At the end of the season the kid goes out to the Midwest and two of the USHL teams were begging him to stay. When I heard that I just laughed, some 'scout.' :blush:
You'd have to substitute lob wedge flop shot for slap shot. He wouldn't know how to take the latter, let alone hit anyone he was aiming for.

Someone earlier mentioned a subscription service. I'm not aware he has one.

In fact, I don't know how spending all the time he does watching amateur hockey results in any income stream for him. Isn't he basically a blogger?

anon
Yeah we get it - your kid is a defenseman and Cox never mentions him.....we get it.

If you want to really look at if Cox is legit he listed 21 players as his NDTP picks he got 16 of them right (could be 18 but they only picked one goalie and one injured player). Not too bad.

anon
anon
Yeah we get it - your kid is a defenseman and Cox never mentions him.....we get it.

If you want to really look at if Cox is legit he listed 21 players as his NDTP picks he got 16 of them right (could be 18 but they only picked one goalie and one injured player). Not too bad.
He didn't pick them. He just wrote about them. If you are NTDP caliber, everyone familiar with the birth year knows who the best players are. They probably also made a splash at the regional camps.

I agree with the poster you replied to. Cox tends to gravitate toward goal scorers (doesn't everyone?) and names he knows. His analyses are often pretty shallow. "Johnny Smith, son of former NHL player John Smith, made a nice pass in the 3rd period of the final Showcase game."

anon
anon

I could pick twenty names also and probably get 16 of them right also.

My kid could go 20 for 20. Everyone knows who the best players are by the time he leaves the golf course and turns on his laptop - its no secret

I am a sports psychologist and did my thesis on the role social media and print have on a youth athelete. In today’s world, kids from 9-17 are dependent on 2 things: 1. You. 2. Social standing. In there perception of the world nothing exists if it’s not on some form of media for them. Competitive teen male athletes are the ones most impacted and can ultimately lead to that athlete losing interest in the sport. We have kids who think their entire being revolves around a college commitment or some other type of accomplishment that is most likely unattainable by a vast majority of these youth. The sport of men’s ice hockey may be the worst, along with men’s soccer.
1 easy way to avoid some of downfalls is to talk to your athelete ( even the older ones) about realistic goals in the game and the future, let him run the conversation about what he wants to do and not what you want him to do, but also be the adult and use facts to help shape the goals. Get rid of Twitter! You will not believe how influential tweets from coaches or scouts or schools can be on these young men.. get rid of it, let them focus on their goals and path not dwell on a 140 word thought.

I don’t know Jeff Cox personally but seems like it’s his job to make lists, it’s your job as the parent to not really care what his list is, if you know your player is going to hear about it and it’s going to bother him, then read it with him and make it a non issues. Good luck to all of you youth sports parents out there and try to keep it fun.

Early puberty has helped many on this list. Compare the Jan / Feb/ March birth days to the 02 players and then ask if they would stand out in that group.

Here's the thing: if Jeff Cox called himself a writer and does what he does (i.e. writing lists of the easily-identifiable top players at an event, pretending he's the greatest thing to hit the sport, and spout his so-called wisdom on Twitter), then he would be no different from the other 1000 or so out there. Instead, he calls himself a scout and pretends like his trite observations are different from anybody else in the stands.

Example: He once ranted on Twitter about the lengthy gaps between games of USPHL full-season midget teams. How does any scout not know that full-season midget teams have a ton of non-league games? Full-season is only the norm for about 95% of the US and all of Canada.

He is at "every major tournament," but he always listed his affiliation as "SBN," which is a blog site. He has no affiliation with a college or a pro team. He was once the SID for Merrimack. Not bad, but that doesn't make him a scout. He seems to go to a lot of college games and spends his time in the press box, while real scouts have to sit among the paid spectators. He's also blowing off Tier I Nationals in favor of the Frozen Four. I'll give you each one guess if he ever set foot at the State Tournament back in November.

Yes, there are independent scouts, but as someone mentioned, they all have sites with subscriptions and offer paid content. Where is his? Hockeyjournal.com? All the players that he seems to pump up are either so much better than the competition that you, me, or my dog could identify them or (shockingly) from Lynnfield, which happens to be his hometown. Strange how that works out.

The guy may be passionate about hockey. He may have a lot of contacts thanks to his days working for Merrimack. But he is no scout. I can't speak for anybody else here, but the biggest problem I have with him is that he's pretending to be something he's not.

I love how all these parents are in a tizzy because their little stud isn't mentioned by this guy

I'm not a parent, but hockey is filled with too many of his ilk. Like I said before, he isn't a scout and needs to stop pretending to be one.

Anon
I'm not a parent, but hockey is filled with too many of his ilk. Like I said before, he isn't a scout and needs to stop pretending to be one.
So let him pretend if he wants. Why should you, I or anybody else care. He enjoys it and somehow is making a go of it. If your kid were mentioned you likely would not come on here to say anything, independent of what you thought of JC. It is a list, an opinion an observation.

Local hockey is a strange/unique community. Yes, there is a lot of politics. More so then most other youth sports because of it being a niche with few opportunities and unique structure.

Best thing to say to your kid is , " Pay no attention to those list. Keep working hard, believe in yourself and you can go as far as you want" Nothing wrong with dreaming big.

Think of all the great stories in sports about athletes overcoming adversity and pushing on. For every Tim Thomas, Tom Brady, MJ, etc there are a thousand times more athletes whose ceilings were much lower but through big dreams, hard work, determination reached THEIR POTENTIAL! IMHO that is what it is all about

REAL hockey people know a lot happens between 14 and 18. Things change, for the better and worse!

Sorry your kids play this weekend didn’t get him a cox shoutout

First off, ***** and moan all you want but the guy aint going anywhere. He'll be doing this long after your kid has aged out of hockey so chill. No one has their opportunities limited by tweets or one paragraph writeups.

Second, all evaluations are subjective from mini-mite tyrouts through NHL drafts. No one agrees. Get used to it, especially if your kids good/draftable. If he is, you and he better develop some thick skin because everyone has an opinion.

Oh no! he posted a list of the top 02 and 04 players in the north east! So much crying tonight

No 03 list?

Sorry...there really aren't any good 03's in New England....

☝🏻☝🏼☝🏽☝🏾☝πŸΏπŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸ½πŸ‘πŸΎπŸ‘πŸΏ