Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Austin Prep and St Johns Prep

" If you are looking for a better education, St. John's is the strongest, and frankly as good if not better then most prep schools."

On what is this opinion based? Average class size? College matriculation? Standardized test scores? Percentage of faculty members with advanced degrees?

Anon
" If you are looking for a better education, St. John's is the strongest, and frankly as good if not better then most prep schools."

On what is this opinion based? Average class size? College matriculation? Standardized test scores? Percentage of faculty members with advanced degrees?
Not the OP but IMHO SJP is a very good education and has excellent athletics, clubs and extracurricular activities. Prep School like campus. Hockey is very good. Maybe on par with lower -mid level Preps but with a slightly weaker schedule. One thing I would warn you about though is most every team is ultra competitive to make. Not that they are stronger then many Prep school teams (hockey, et al) but that they have 1,300 boys with hundreds of kids showing up to tryouts. D1 in every sport and typically ranked top 20 in the state. At Prep school everybody gets a spot on a team (for the most part anyway.)

AP is a very good school. Decent campus. Very good athletics albeit much smaller and outside of Hockey play in much lower divisions. Co-ed.

Prep schools have a different style in educating and with the overall experience. From what I understand smaller classrooms with more discussion and college like assignments.

In any case very fortunate to have any of these opportunities

Anon
Anon
\" If you are looking for a better education, St. John\'s is the strongest, and frankly as good if not better then most prep schools.\"

Not the OP but IMHO SJP is a very good education and has excellent athletics, clubs and extracurricular activities. Prep School like campus. Hockey is very good. Maybe on par with lower -mid level Preps but with a slightly weaker schedule. One thing I would warn you about though is most every team is ultra competitive to make. Not that they are stronger then many Prep school teams (hockey, et al) but that they have 1,300 boys with hundreds of kids showing up to tryouts. D1 in every sport and typically ranked top 20 in the state. At Prep school everybody gets a spot on a team (for the most part anyway.)

AP is a very good school. Decent campus. Very good athletics albeit much smaller and outside of Hockey play in much lower divisions. Co-ed.

Prep schools have a different style in educating and with the overall experience. From what I understand smaller classrooms with more discussion and college like assignments.

^^^ Has no clue about Prep School hockey.

Anon
Anon
Anon
\\\" If you are looking for a better education, St. John\\\'s is the strongest, and frankly as good if not better then most prep schools.\\\"

^^^ Has no clue about Prep School hockey.
Delbarton vs

2017-11-19 10:00 Dexter School Thorndike Athletic Complex 2 - 3 OT
2017-12-17 11:30 Boston College HS Clark Athletic Center Ice Rink 1 - 0
2018-01-19 17:00 Brunswick School Hartong Rink 0 - 3
2018-02-10 12:30 Pope Francis HS Olympia Ice Center 0 - 3

Sorry. Prep school is certainly better but I still believe the bottom half 30-60 would be a competitive game with BCH, SJP, CC, POPE. If it is easier for you to cut those checks for your kid to go to Pingree, Govs, Hebron, etc so be it. I guess you are correct as a whole prep school hockey is better.

In terms of education there is a difference. I have had kids in public, catholic, and independent (prep) HS. Catholic HS is basically public HS with religion. There are still 35+ kids in a classroom and the college counseling is no better than public HS. The difference is that sports are better and the kids generally want to be there. Independent prep has only 14 kids in a classroom on average so the kids participate more and get a lot of individual attention from the teachers. Also, teachers are easily available outside of class for boarders. College counseling at independent schools is much better than catholic or public. They will actually suggest specific schools that are a good fit for your kid in terms of academic interests, personal preferences, test scores/grades, and family finances, as opposed to simply offering general advice to everyone. In terms of physical infrastructure the independent schools are much better than catholic or public. Actually, good public HSs have nicer facilities than some of the Catholics. Still, none of the options have a monopoly on smart kids, and a motivated kid can succeed academically at any school. Financially, it might make sense to move to a town with a great public HS rather than paying the huge tuition that both Catholic and Independent schools charge. But Catholics and independent schools are not equivalent.

If you want your little Altar Boy fondled by Father Toucher then head the Catholic route.

Honestly, most CC schools are for hard core Catholics in denial or immature dumb dumb boys that need the structure...

Anon
If you want your little Altar Boy fondled by Father Toucher then head the Catholic route.

Honestly, most CC schools are for hard core Catholics in denial or immature dumb dumb boys that need the structure...
Is Father Toucher related to Fred from the Toucher & Rich show? That would explain a lot...

You got it right on the differences. I have also had kids at all 3 at different times. A good kid will be fine where ever they go and i do not reccomend you mortgage the house to send the kid to prep but there really is a difference. At a top prep school every kid is smart and motivated. My kids math class had 6 to 8 kids in it. Average SAT score over 2000. They moved at a pace a public could not touch. At the lower end academic preps the kids might not be brilliant but every kid gets individual attention. I am a big believer in prep schools after seeing the difference but i wouldn't go just for hockey and it needs to be the right thing for the kid and the family. My middle boy is now in college and his roommates are both St John Prep kids and they are pretty sharp so it seems like they got a good education as well.

Yeah but only after they got their 💩 pushed in by Father Bangmealot...

Any idiot who would send their kid to a Catholic school this day and age deserves to get their poop pushed in as well.

Anon
In terms of education there is a difference. I have had kids in public, catholic, and independent (prep) HS. Catholic HS is basically public HS with religion. There are still 35+ kids in a classroom and the college counseling is no better than public HS. The difference is that sports are better and the kids generally want to be there. Independent prep has only 14 kids in a classroom on average so the kids participate more and get a lot of individual attention from the teachers. Also, teachers are easily available outside of class for boarders. College counseling at independent schools is much better than catholic or public. They will actually suggest specific schools that are a good fit for your kid in terms of academic interests, personal preferences, test scores/grades, and family finances, as opposed to simply offering general advice to everyone. In terms of physical infrastructure the independent schools are much better than catholic or public. Actually, good public HSs have nicer facilities than some of the Catholics. Still, none of the options have a monopoly on smart kids, and a motivated kid can succeed academically at any school. Financially, it might make sense to move to a town with a great public HS rather than paying the huge tuition that both Catholic and Independent schools charge. But Catholics and independent schools are not equivalent.
Just as not all public schools are equal same goes for Catholics. Austin and St Johns Prep are definitely better education wise than most public schools as well as a bunch of other Catholics and have smaller class sizes. Austin class sizes are about 15 kids per class and St Johns Prep about 20. Both have great college admissions teams and offer similar guidance as most true "prep" schools. Also have compared the AP course offerings and are very similar to a lot of "prep" schools. Some public schools don't offer the courses necessary to go to Ivy league schools so you would have to take a separate after school program to meet entrance requirements.

As for the hockey they are both D1 Catholic Conference teams but other sports is where St John's is ahead of the game being D1 in every other sport. Kids from both hockey programs have transferred to high end prep hockey programs and also placed kids in the USHL and D1 College hockey teams. The biggest difference in the hockey is that if your son is a decent player he may have a better chance at getting more ice time at Austin as an underclassman than at St Johns due to the sheer numbers.

The problem is coaching. You would think they have great coaching given size and talent. THEY DON'T.

Kid was never cut, he transferred and repeated. The best players at both these schools are leaving. AP coach is new, so I will cut him some slack, but the SJP coach just doesn't get it.

AD will never make a change and these kids will use it to gain access into Preps.

SJP was on Twitter saying how 4 NHL kids stayed all 4 years and made it. Guy is a joke.

your a fool, I do not have a kid there, but the SJP coach is excellent. He has resurrected two HS programs, won their only Super Eight Championship, and his hockey background speaks for itself.

Anon
The problem is coaching. You would think they have great coaching given size and talent. THEY DON'T.

Kid was never cut, he transferred and repeated. The best players at both these schools are leaving. AP coach is new, so I will cut him some slack, but the SJP coach just doesn't get it.

AD will never make a change and these kids will use it to gain access into Preps.

SJP was on Twitter saying how 4 NHL kids stayed all 4 years and made it. Guy is a joke.

Very true that the best kids leave but not until junior year and then are repeating at prep usually at the request of the prep school so they have them for two years. AP coach is new and was given a bit of a mess but the combination of him and his assistants are pretty good. Not sure about SJP coach, surprises me that they are not in the finals or semi's of the Super 8 every year with the number of kids to choose from but have heard there are politics in play.

Just for the record.....

1. Twitter story said four former SJP players "now playing pro hockey" (not "in the NHL").....McCarthy, Blackwell, Kurker, Pinho

2. SJP has made it to the Super 8 Semis or Finals in 6 of the past 8 years

How many D1 kids in last 3 years?

Why doesn't top talent stay?

Fact is not one D1 commit this year.

Anon
How many D1 kids in last 3 years?

Why doesn't top talent stay?

Fact is not one D1 commit this year.
That's because it's not the year 1990 anymore. The hockey ladder has changed. For the most part, some catholic school hockey is a stepping stone to USHL/NAHL/Prep which could then lead to D1 college. Direct to D1 college from MIAA catholics just doesn't happen anymore.