Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Jeff Cox knows stuff

I am a sports psychologist and did my thesis on the role social media and print have on a youth athelete. In today’s world, kids from 9-17 are dependent on 2 things: 1. You. 2. Social standing. In there perception of the world nothing exists if it’s not on some form of media for them. Competitive teen male athletes are the ones most impacted and can ultimately lead to that athlete losing interest in the sport. We have kids who think their entire being revolves around a college commitment or some other type of accomplishment that is most likely unattainable by a vast majority of these youth. The sport of men’s ice hockey may be the worst, along with men’s soccer.
1 easy way to avoid some of downfalls is to talk to your athelete ( even the older ones) about realistic goals in the game and the future, let him run the conversation about what he wants to do and not what you want him to do, but also be the adult and use facts to help shape the goals. Get rid of Twitter! You will not believe how influential tweets from coaches or scouts or schools can be on these young men.. get rid of it, let them focus on their goals and path not dwell on a 140 word thought.

I don’t know Jeff Cox personally but seems like it’s his job to make lists, it’s your job as the parent to not really care what his list is, if you know your player is going to hear about it and it’s going to bother him, then read it with him and make it a non issues. Good luck to all of you youth sports parents out there and try to keep it fun.

Early puberty has helped many on this list. Compare the Jan / Feb/ March birth days to the 02 players and then ask if they would stand out in that group.

Here's the thing: if Jeff Cox called himself a writer and does what he does (i.e. writing lists of the easily-identifiable top players at an event, pretending he's the greatest thing to hit the sport, and spout his so-called wisdom on Twitter), then he would be no different from the other 1000 or so out there. Instead, he calls himself a scout and pretends like his trite observations are different from anybody else in the stands.

Example: He once ranted on Twitter about the lengthy gaps between games of USPHL full-season midget teams. How does any scout not know that full-season midget teams have a ton of non-league games? Full-season is only the norm for about 95% of the US and all of Canada.

He is at "every major tournament," but he always listed his affiliation as "SBN," which is a blog site. He has no affiliation with a college or a pro team. He was once the SID for Merrimack. Not bad, but that doesn't make him a scout. He seems to go to a lot of college games and spends his time in the press box, while real scouts have to sit among the paid spectators. He's also blowing off Tier I Nationals in favor of the Frozen Four. I'll give you each one guess if he ever set foot at the State Tournament back in November.

Yes, there are independent scouts, but as someone mentioned, they all have sites with subscriptions and offer paid content. Where is his? Hockeyjournal.com? All the players that he seems to pump up are either so much better than the competition that you, me, or my dog could identify them or (shockingly) from Lynnfield, which happens to be his hometown. Strange how that works out.

The guy may be passionate about hockey. He may have a lot of contacts thanks to his days working for Merrimack. But he is no scout. I can't speak for anybody else here, but the biggest problem I have with him is that he's pretending to be something he's not.

I love how all these parents are in a tizzy because their little stud isn't mentioned by this guy

I'm not a parent, but hockey is filled with too many of his ilk. Like I said before, he isn't a scout and needs to stop pretending to be one.

Anon
I'm not a parent, but hockey is filled with too many of his ilk. Like I said before, he isn't a scout and needs to stop pretending to be one.
So let him pretend if he wants. Why should you, I or anybody else care. He enjoys it and somehow is making a go of it. If your kid were mentioned you likely would not come on here to say anything, independent of what you thought of JC. It is a list, an opinion an observation.

Local hockey is a strange/unique community. Yes, there is a lot of politics. More so then most other youth sports because of it being a niche with few opportunities and unique structure.

Best thing to say to your kid is , " Pay no attention to those list. Keep working hard, believe in yourself and you can go as far as you want" Nothing wrong with dreaming big.

Think of all the great stories in sports about athletes overcoming adversity and pushing on. For every Tim Thomas, Tom Brady, MJ, etc there are a thousand times more athletes whose ceilings were much lower but through big dreams, hard work, determination reached THEIR POTENTIAL! IMHO that is what it is all about

REAL hockey people know a lot happens between 14 and 18. Things change, for the better and worse!

Sorry your kids play this weekend didn’t get him a cox shoutout

First off, ***** and moan all you want but the guy aint going anywhere. He'll be doing this long after your kid has aged out of hockey so chill. No one has their opportunities limited by tweets or one paragraph writeups.

Second, all evaluations are subjective from mini-mite tyrouts through NHL drafts. No one agrees. Get used to it, especially if your kids good/draftable. If he is, you and he better develop some thick skin because everyone has an opinion.

Oh no! he posted a list of the top 02 and 04 players in the north east! So much crying tonight

No 03 list?

Sorry...there really aren't any good 03's in New England....

☝🏻☝🏼☝🏽☝🏾☝πŸΏπŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸ½πŸ‘πŸΎπŸ‘πŸΏ