email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: My son missing the NAHL Combine got him Five Main Camp invites

anon
don't believe the invite was for the main camp. NAHL is free to play and they attract players from all over the world. if your kid can do well enough and catch a break, hopefully will be invited to the main camp. From there very difficult to make the roster.
You are missing the point!!!! He never went to the NAHL Combine. He had to drop out, but because his name was on the list he still got invites to their team camps because of
" How Well He Played" and " How their scouts were impressed with his skills".

Yes, you are correct it is a pay to attend camp with a chance to get an invite to the main camp but again that was not the point.

He may very well go next year as we think the NAHL is an excellent path but again, " Buyer Beware". Notorious Fundraiser. Misleading people into believing they are actually interested in your kid.

Good luck with your kid getting the invite to the main camp and getting picked for a team in the NA. Very difficult getting onto the roster. A lot of good players from every corner of the hockey world. USHS NAHL BCHL and a couple others are very tough to get into. Best of Luck.

So your shocked that once your on an email list you get invites? :astonished:

Every tryout camp out there at any level junior and below is part fund raiser. That fact that you didn't know this is telling.

anon

Every tryout camp out there at any level junior and below is part fund raiser. That fact that you didn't know this is telling.
You're thinking of open camps. Kids don't get invites to main camps from a mailing list. Some orgs don't even charge for main camps (although they do get kickbacks from the host hotels). They also have to know if your kid is tendered anywhere, too.

Main camps for USHL and NAHL are difficult to make the cut just to be at the camp. Extremely competitive and even harder to make the roster.

I love it when people try to display their knowledge but have their facts wrong.

How "telling" is that, 2:05 anon?

Anon
I love it when people try to display their knowledge but have their facts wrong.

How "telling" is that, 2:05 anon?
He's actually not way off, my son played in USHL and now for a Hockey East School, and we still get NAHL combine/camp invites.

anon

No it wasn't that he was invited more so that they say things like " we really like your skill set" " we were really impressed with your play". If it were just an invite, i'd chalk it up as mass email. If they reached out to him personally then I would say they may be interested. To send out mass emails suggesting that a player stood out and that they were impressed while I wasn't even there is lame.

What an outrage.:anguished:

anon
What an outrage.:anguished:
We were not in the least bit upset. Not at all! What do we care!!
The point is we will likely go next year but again just a reminder when a coach says" we really like your kid" it can mean many things, ranging from we really like your kid to make the check out to...

Many teams sent out mass emails inviting kids to their camps $200-$300) without any mention of what they thought about your kid. All good but to blatently lie makes them look bad. Thats,all im trying to say jeesh

This guy needs to get over it. If your son gets his mental toughness from you he will never play in the USHL or NAHL - give it a rest. You are criticizing a league that is FREE to play in. Both NAHL and USHL are FREE!!

anon
This guy needs to get over it. If your son gets his mental toughness from you he will never play in the USHL or NAHL - give it a rest. You are criticizing a league that is FREE to play in. Both NAHL and USHL are FREE!!
NAHL isn't free, you have to pay for billeting.

Anon
anon
NAHL isn't free, you have to pay for billeting.
No, it's not free. According to JK from TJHN (FWIW), the average player looking to hook up with an NAHL team spends $6,500 on tryout (open and main) camps. That's travel, hotels, meals and other expenses.

If he makes a team it's $3,000 to billet. And the parent spends an average of $800 per weekend to see him play.

So, the average first year cost, including 4 trips by a parent, comes to $12,700. Of course if he's drafted/tendered out of school or AAA or at the NAHL Combine it will be less.

Not free at all.

anon
Not complaining jack wagon. I fond it funny! Trying to share info and shed light. Now get back in the tool box.

USHL and NAHL are both free. All expenses paid for, which includes ice time, equipment, uniforms, travel, hotels etc.... NAHL pays billet and that is it. Up to the parents if they choose to travel. Two best junior leagues in the US.

anon
USHL and NAHL are both free. All expenses paid for, which includes ice time, equipment, uniforms, travel, hotels etc.... NAHL pays billet and that is it. Up to the parents if they choose to travel. Two best junior leagues in the US.
Player pays Billet in the NAHL

that is mentioned above. Much better than paying 12k plus. paying for billet covers the cost of what a 18,19,20 year old eat per month anyways.

Anon
anon
don\'t believe the invite was for the main camp. NAHL is free to play and they attract players from all over the world. if your kid can do well enough and catch a break, hopefully will be invited to the main camp. From there very difficult to make the roster.
You are missing the point!!!! He never went to the NAHL Combine. He had to drop out, but because his name was on the list he still got invites to their team camps because of
" How Well He Played" and " How their scouts were impressed with his skills".

Yes, you are correct it is a pay to attend camp with a chance to get an invite to the main camp but again that was not the point.

He may very well go next year as we think the NAHL is an excellent path but again, " Buyer Beware". Notorious Fundraiser. Misleading people into believing they are actually interested in your kid.
I don't think they are misleading anyone. They simply describe the process. People mislead themselves. The league delivered exactly what they promised, and it's a little unfair to criticize the league for selling what the market will buy.

I do have one question, though. What do you think caused your kid to be attractive enough to teams that they picked him off of the list of 360 players to include him in main camp invites? Registration form was pretty limited, and they didn't require a hockey resume. I'm wondering what kind of data mining the teams/league did.

Was he a USHL Phase 1 / 2 draft pick? Be honest. :)