Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: NCAA "Early Commitments" Rule Change

i think the (college) coaches fully support this. they are more than likely exhausted by 'middle school parents' asking them to check out their child.

I have read numerous articles that included interviews with college coaches and I don't think I ever read one where a coach said he thought it was a good idea to be recruiting kids so young. The common refrain was I hate it but I have to do it because of the Canadian junior system. It will be interesting to see what, if any, impact this has on that issue as it is unique to the hockey world. If there isn't a sudden outflow of young US talent up north, it's a great change. Hopefully the advisors are honest with the kids and help steer them to the path that is best for the players development.

anon
I have read numerous articles that included interviews with college coaches and I don't think I ever read one where a coach said he thought it was a good idea to be recruiting kids so young. The common refrain was I hate it but I have to do it because of the Canadian junior system. It will be interesting to see what, if any, impact this has on that issue as it is unique to the hockey world. If there isn't a sudden outflow of young US talent up north, it's a great change. Hopefully the advisors are honest with the kids and help steer them to the path that is best for the players development.
It's toothless. Stops way short of where it needed to. The kids can still make unofficial visits, the coach can still talk to the kid's coach, and early verbals aren't controlled any more than before. And because the process is hardly affected, IMO it won't have any impact on kids heading North.

My "take" is that the NCAA didn't want to disrupt the process in sports where it isn't as broken as in hockey. Hockey needs to govern itself, like lacrosse did. I don't follow LAX closely, but from conversations with parents of recruitable kids, it seems to have slowed verbals down, but create a different issue, a fear that all the money will be gone on that magical date. I think it's too new to know for sure, but I agree with the author of this piece, it should have been the starting point.

beatcuff
i think the (college) coaches fully support this. they are more than likely exhausted by 'middle school parents' asking them to check out their child.
Geez. The article clearly says that won't stop.

"Although the new rules prevent college coaches from discussing recruiting until a prospect's junior year, younger student-athletes can and surely still will contact college coaches early and often. Similarly, and perhaps just as significantly, college coaches may still discuss a prospect - including the recruiting process - with the student-athlete's high school or club coach."

Skimmed it, did you?

anon
beatcuff
Geez. The article clearly says that won't stop.

"Although the new rules prevent college coaches from discussing recruiting until a prospect's junior year, younger student-athletes can and surely still will contact college coaches early and often. Similarly, and perhaps just as significantly, college coaches may still discuss a prospect - including the recruiting process - with the student-athlete's high school or club coach."

Skimmed it, did you?
Haha, oops!

I am honored and proud to announce my commitment to play at ..................... LOL

It will be fascinating to see how this plays out in our little hockey world and I envision an explosion in advisors coming. Think about it, most 8th and many 9th graders are still playing for daddy coaches on their club teams, that's the guy who's going to be talking to Jerry York? I didn't see any mention of advisors in the article but my assumption is there will be a new business model of "I'll be your go between". I'm also willing to bet that there will be more youth camps hosted by college teams since that seems to be the only setting for direct contact.

anon
It will be fascinating to see how this plays out in our little hockey world and I envision an explosion in advisors coming. Think about it, most 8th and many 9th graders are still playing for daddy coaches on their club teams, that's the guy who's going to be talking to Jerry York? I didn't see any mention of advisors in the article but my assumption is there will be a new business model of "I'll be your go between". I'm also willing to bet that there will be more youth camps hosted by college teams since that seems to be the only setting for direct contact.
The overwhelming majority of kids getting D-I verbals as 8th/9th Graders already have NHL-certified advisors. Those kids are the target audience, and those advisors are who the college coaches are accepting calls from.

The calls from parents and Daddy Coaches go into the circular file.

There are only two real changes to the current state. 1. The athletic department can't give the kid a tour but the kid can go on campus and they can meet with them. From there they send the family over to admissions and they give the tour. 2. Move official visits up a year. Senior year visits are a joke because LOI's are all signed by November of 12th grade anyway so this might be helpful for schools.

In all, nothing much changes. There will be no explosion of advisors. That happened years ago and there is already not enough good hockey players to meet the demand of these guys. They have already been providing the link to college coaches for 8-10th grades and so that doesn't change.

Now if we can just get rid of the 21 year old college freshmen who is 'so proud to bring his hockey talent to XYZ University.'

anon
There are only two real changes to the current state. 1. The athletic department can't give the kid a tour but the kid can go on campus and they can meet with them. From there they send the family over to admissions and they give the tour. 2. Move official visits up a year. Senior year visits are a joke because LOI's are all signed by November of 12th grade anyway so this might be helpful for schools.

In all, nothing much changes. There will be no explosion of advisors. That happened years ago and there is already not enough good hockey players to meet the demand of these guys. They have already been providing the link to college coaches for 8-10th grades and so that doesn't change.

Exactly, nothing really changes, players who are younger than a "Junior" will continue to have "un-official" visits, these are generally your blue-chip prospects anyhow. What may change though is the decline announcement of verbal-commits on social media for 14-15 year olds ??

If you go to campus on an unoffical visit you can't meet with the coaches. It doesn't mean you cant talk with them over the phone. They can't call you but you can call them and if they answer, they can talk to you.

All this really does is free up the coaches from having to show kids/families around campus on unofficial visits. They can still talk, still offer and kids will still post comittments on twitter.

Anon
anon
beatcuff
i think the (college) coaches fully support this. they are more than likely exhausted by \'middle school parents\' asking them to check out their child.
Geez. The article clearly says that won\'t stop.

\"Although the new rules prevent college coaches from discussing recruiting until a prospect\'s junior year, younger student-athletes can and surely still will contact college coaches early and often. Similarly, and perhaps just as significantly, college coaches may still discuss a prospect - including the recruiting process - with the student-athlete\'s high school or club coach.\"

Skimmed it, did you?
Haha, oops!
fine i will clarify:

"college coaches will NOT [emphasis added] be able to discuss recruiting with a prospect, IN PERSON [emphasis added], until Sept. 1 of a potential recruit's junior year."

you can do a dozen of calls in a day, but try that in person.

beatcuff
Anon
anon
beatcuff
i think the (college) coaches fully support this. they are more than likely exhausted by \\\'middle school parents\\\' asking them to check out their child.
Geez. The article clearly says that won\\\'t stop.

\\\"Although the new rules prevent college coaches from discussing recruiting until a prospect\\\'s junior year, younger student-athletes can and surely still will contact college coaches early and often. Similarly, and perhaps just as significantly, college coaches may still discuss a prospect - including the recruiting process - with the student-athlete\\\'s high school or club coach.\\\"

Skimmed it, did you?
Haha, oops!
fine i will clarify:

"college coaches will NOT [emphasis added] be able to discuss recruiting with a prospect, IN PERSON [emphasis added], until Sept. 1 of a potential recruit's junior year."

you can do a dozen of calls in a day, but try that in person.
I'm a youth hockey coach and I do a dozen calls plus text plus emails daily, related to hockey!